What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dichlor and MPS  (Read 6034 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Dichlor and MPS
« on: August 23, 2005, 11:08:39 pm »
This topic has probobly been discussed before (but when I search on "MPS" or "Dichlor" for the past 180 days I didn't see it)

Although one is technically and oxidizer and the other says it's  sanitizer, it seems like my manual shows them being used interchangeably (although in differnt quantities )

Is there any advantage to using one (MPS or Dichlor) over the other?

Hot Tub Forum

Dichlor and MPS
« on: August 23, 2005, 11:08:39 pm »

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
Re: Dichlor and MPS
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 07:30:42 am »
When I used MPS with my first spa it caused lots of problems with TA and pH. Also, in terms of usage - you use 1 tsp of dichlor, while you would have to use 3 tbl of MPS - the ratio is 9 to 1. When I stopped using MPS I stopped having problems with TA and therefore pH.

Now, in my new spa, I only use dichlor, Nature2 and the ozonator. My water has been crystal clear from day one and the only thing I have to adjust occassionally is pH.

Of course, YMMV.

Oh, MPS also raises your TDS very quickly compared to dichlor.

Susan
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:51:08 am by TrikkeAddict »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 07:39:23 am »
Dichlor leaves a residual sanitzer in the spa.
MPS does not

Regular dichlor use will build up chloramines.  MPS is much better at oxidizing chloramines than dichlor.  So it may be a good idea to toss in some MPS once a week to keep the chloramines close to 0.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:08:18 am »
Regular dichlor use will build up chloramines.  MPS is much better at oxidizing chloramines than dichlor.  So it may be a good idea to toss in some MPS once a week to keep the chloramines close to 0.

This is what has worked well for me for more than 2 years now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nicker

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 09:03:36 am »
I use both, and have had very very good results.  I use Dichlor to sanitize after each use (depending on bathers) and I use MPS once a week to shock to kill off any residue from the Dichlor.   I was only using Dichlor before and was having problems. My dealing gave me some MPS to try and I loved it so that is what I now use.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 09:51:07 am »
Dichlor is a sanitizer that can be used as a shock (oxidizer) if enough dichlor is introduced to push the chlorine level over the "break point"--somewhere from 7-10 times the normal level of free chlorine.  At this point, the chlorine will oxidize the combined chlorines (chloramines).  MPS is only an oxidizer (shock).  Both dichlor (when introduced in sufficient quantity) and MPS are very effective oxidizers.  I use both based upon the following considerations:

Dichlor, with a pH of about 7.0, will have a smaller effect on water balance than unbuffered MPS with a pH of 3-4.  But if my pH is a little high, MPS works wonderfully to bring pH down while shocking at the same time.

MPS will allow bathers after about 30 min. or so after application.  Dichlor residuals can take up to 24 hrs. or so before chlorine levels drop to safe, acceptable levels.

Dichlor will superchlorinate (sanitize) the water while shocking.  MPS adds no sanitation value to the water.

Use either depending on your situation.  Personally, I use MPS to shock about 75-85% of the time.  When leaving the spa unattended for a period of days, a good dichlor shock is just the ticket.  For normal shocking, I prefer MPS.  8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 02:05:13 pm »
We drop a small amount of MPS in after each use and if we haven't used the tut in a few days.

We shock the tub once every week or two with dichlor.

We generally have crystal clear water.  Towards the end of our water change cycle the water stays a little cloudy for a while after the jets have been on, which is probably the TDS buildup from the MPS.

-Ed

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 05:24:22 pm »
Ok my stupid question(s) of the day is(are)

When you are talking about dichlor - you mean
Sodium Dichlor...  Sorry cant remeber how to spell the rest - Massive brain fart
The one I have states it as 55%

What does MPS stand for and under what brand is it sold?

r100rs

scott10367

• I live to spa and spa to live!
Re: Dichlor and MPSof
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 05:42:03 pm »
You should use Dichlor to sanitize and MPS to shock with.  MPS stands for Peroxide monopersulfate (sp?)  Basically it uses high concentrations of oxygen to remove swimmer wastes, aka chloramines or bromamines.  And Yes Dichlor is Sodium Dichlor!  Try your local Bio-Guard dealer, they carry MPS and will test your water for free.  Good luck!

Soakin

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 05:56:47 pm »
...Sodium Dichlor ...The one I have states it as 55% ... What does MPS stand for and under what brand is it sold?
MPS is usually sold as non-chlorine shock, chorine-free, etc.  Most brands have one, it may be called "Renew" or some other fancy name.

Dichlor labels can be a little confusing.  Some list %dichlor (my generic bottle says 97 %), others "available chorine" (64% in another section of label).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 05:56:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42