What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Wet Test  (Read 3676 times)

cappykat

Marquis Wet Test
« on: August 04, 2005, 01:19:13 pm »
Geez....I've just returned from testing the Marquis.  Looked at the Epic & Reward.  Liked them both, liked the Reward a little better because the "lounge" fit a bit better.

I think I've narrowed it down to two...Marquis & Jacuzzi.  I'm leaning a bit towards the Marquis but I think the price might be a little high.  I've seen where other paid around $6100-6500 for the Reward and I got a price of $7500.  Got a price of $8100 for the Epic.  Both are w/stereo ready, cover, lift, setup, delivery, chemicals, steps.

Give me pros/cons on these 2 tubs, please.  Does Marquis have the floor drains or a drain outside the tub?  

I'm getting down to the nitty gritty, so give it to me!!  ;D
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis Wet Test
« on: August 04, 2005, 01:19:13 pm »

drprwnap

Re: Marquis Wet Test
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 01:36:01 pm »
I'm set up for a wet test on the Epic tomorrow.  Tested the Reward, really liked the spa, but it didn't fit my wife. I hoping the Epic will be a better fit.  The price I got on the Reward was around $7500.  I'll let you know what price I get tomorrow on the Epic.  
The thing I like about Marquis is that the jets don't blow you out of the water and take your skin off in the process.  IMO, there's a lot to be said for gentle therapy. Many of the tubs I've tested are too strong for my taste.  

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 01:39:30 pm »
Hello cappykat!

I went back and scanned through all of your posts detailing your spa search.  Some things that kind of jumped out at me were the following:

1.  You wet tested the HotSpring spas and indicated that you enjoyed them

2.  In another post, you stated that the HotSpring people "were the best"

3.  You indicated in another post that HotSpring was right there at the top of the list

4.  You said that the local Jacuzzi dealer even said "you should get a HotSpring"

5.  You expressed concern about the "kiln dried bottom" (We have sold these spas for 20 years and it has never been an issue.  I, and other HS dealers on this board, have customers that have had their HS spas well over 20 years and they're still running)

6.  You stated that you wanted a built-in stereo, but that the SpAudio was too expensive (It is expensive)

I'm just kind of befuddled at all of the good experiences you seem to have had with HotSpring but it doesn't seem like you're still considering them.  If I was an impartial spa shopper, you would have sold me on a HS based on the glowing reviews you gave them.  Am I missing something?

It may cost a little more than some of the others, but it will be the only spa you have to buy for the next 20 years.   I wish you well in whichever brand you choose. :)

Terminator
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 01:58:33 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 01:51:45 pm »
I am surprised that you liked the reward better than the Epic but that is why a wet test is so important to find what is best for you...Yes all Marquis have floor drains as for your price with the sound option they seem to be very fair ...I think you will find the Marquis warranty to be as strong as any in the industry.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 01:56:04 pm »
That pricing seems a bit low for both the Epic and the Reward...Is that a Reward SA or the 2005 Reward standard?

I have had people that liked the SA better than the Epic because of size and price but the only people that have picked the larger Reward over the Epic where fairly tall in the upper body and really liked the depth...

BTW, there was a significant price increase on Marquis this year with product changes between April and June. The Reward is a completely different spa now with waterfall, color kinetic lights, Larger size, bigger pumps, floating remote and more jets. That could account for a price difference.

Since January there have been 3 distinctly different Rewards offered and the price has been different on each. This is confusing to many price shoppers….

The 7 ft stripped down version of the Reward was going for the $6100 to $6600 price depending on what you added. Some dealers still had these on their floor even a month ago.

Marquis uses both floor drain and an exterior connection.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:05:15 pm by stuart »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 02:00:44 pm »
Just to add about the jets....Marquis does a great job with their jetting of enabling you to get Hi Flow therapy from jets that put out up to 40 gpm of water per jet with their tri zone, what that means is that you will have a larger volume of water though a larger jet opening that allows to sit in front of the jets for an extended period of time with out feeling irritated or itchy ....and it allows you to work the body much more like a masseuse one muscle group at a time.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 02:02:34 pm »
Good choices cappykat.  The only thing you need to make sure of when you are comparing prices here is that you are comparing the same thing.  

Marquis has a Reward and a Silver Anniversary Reward.  I believe that the Silver Anniversary Reward is a little smaller and less expense than the Reward.

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 02:11:33 pm »
East Tx Spa....I'm befuddled too!!  HS Envoy was the first tub I wet tested.  Yes, I did like it but I'm finding I like the therapy I get on the SD, Marquis & Jac more.  I think as far as therapy that these others are better.

I think I'm going to have to insist that my husband wet test too.  He has pretty much given me carte blanc in picking the tub and I think it would help me to have another person's opinion.

2005 Marquis Epic

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 02:19:22 pm »
I think I'm going to have to insist that my husband wet test too.  He has pretty much given me carte blanc in picking the tub and I think it would help me to have another person's opinion.

A second opinion is always wise (unless you disagree). ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 11:02:30 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 08:40:06 am »

cappykat,
Absolutely! Be sure to get your husband to join you in wet testing. It was always me, my wife and our daughter and usually one of our daughter's friends wet testing.!
Ya gotta make sure everyone can live with it!

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

J._McD

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 10:29:10 am »
Cappykat is only following the advice given here on the forum.  First of all, What is not to like about any hot tub.  The more you test you may be able to eliminate some, I don't discourage wet testing, but it creates great level of anxiety in trying to make the right decision.  After all, we know these things are expensive.

East-Tx points out the virtues of HS and you have looked at SD, M, Jz and the list goes on, but you are only going to buy one, which one and from who.  By the time you get around to it, you will probably decide based upon the dealer relationship.  Well, that can change.   If he dosen't sell enough, fast enough he might be a nice guy, but he may be selling something different next month.

This is not an easy shopping item and I feel for Cappy when we are trying to get through all of the confusing differences, prices, options and features, services, charges, and this is only the purchase decision.  Then comes the electrician, and you know what, he dosen't dicker with his price and if you get him to change it, something changes like aluminum instead of copper.

I feel for you shoppers out there.  It is a tough decision, or do we make it that way when in reality we would enjoy most all of them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:31:41 am by J._McD »

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 10:54:38 am »
J.McD...you make some very good points.  You're right...my daughter's hot tub is probably 1000 years old  ;D and it felt great!  Don't know the mfg and it doesn't have any bells/whistles but it's what made me decide I wanted one.

Yep, it's time to get soaking and let my worries go...sometimes I think the more tubs you look at the worse you make it because in reality they all feel pretty darn good!!
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 10:54:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42