What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chlorine or bromine? ozone gen?  (Read 10215 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: chlorine or bromine? ozone gen?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 04:50:58 pm »
Question the rule of thumb with Di Chlor seems to be one teaspoon per bather ....but what about tub size and its role in the amount of di chlor ....anyone with any input

The idea is to have 3-5 PPM after use, which is enough to kill anything brought in during use. So based on tub size the amount could vary. With 2 bathers in my 375 gallons it is 1.5 tsp with 3 it is 2 tsp and 4 or more automaticly a TBLS. So you will need to experiment to achieve 3-5 after use. Same goes with shock you want to reach 10-15 PPM which will burn up everything including chloramines, which are left over from using chlorine every soak and can create a chlorine smell. In my case 2 TBLS brings the level to 10-15 PPM
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 04:50:58 pm »

spanewbie

• welcome to the center for the easily confused
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 10:04:44 am »
thank you all so much for your enlightening opinions.
this forum is great.  I'm so glad I found it.   ::)

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 10:33:58 am »
How long after adding dichlor should you wait before testing the chlorine level?

Frankeyboy

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 06:08:15 pm »
How long after adding dichlor should you wait before testing the chlorine level?

Frankeyboy

Wait about 20 minutes.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 10:44:30 am »
Spare the dichlor, spoil the tub.....[/red][/i][/b]
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 12:24:50 pm »
You guys hate me don't you???? Cause I haven't had ONE problem with Bromine and it bothers ya'll doesn't it...admit it..your JEALOUS!!! heheheheheheh Just kidding...my feelings are this if it's working for you don't mess with it..otherwise if it ain't broke don't fix it!

BP

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 01:31:21 pm »
You guys hate me don't you???? Cause I haven't had ONE problem with Bromine and it bothers ya'll doesn't it...admit it..your JEALOUS!!! heheheheheheh Just kidding...my feelings are this if it's working for you don't mess with it..otherwise if it ain't broke don't fix it!

BP

Mankind used to get around via horse and buggy. It gave them few problems and they were happy with the convenience. Then they discoverd automobiles with combustible engines and realized what they'd been missing all along. Its tough to compare when you've only looked at one side of the equation. When you try a chlorine based program I'd venture to guess your bromine tabs would be put out to pasture. ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Backpains

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 02:49:16 pm »
Spatech..there is no way in this  lifetime that I will ever change over to anything that has chlorine in it, the reason being.....I'm not a huge fan of chlorine and here's why...

1. I'm allergic to chlorine it makes my sinuses clog up tighter than a drain pipe with hair clogged in it.

2. It makes me ITCH bad..we aren't talking about just a little bit..we are talking a full fledge rash.

so...you all just go ahead and have your dichlor I'll stay perfectly fine with my Bromine thanks.

BP

Backpains

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 03:01:39 pm »

I think the best advice comes from those who have used both or are very familiar with both systems. Like Drewstar, I am very familiar with both and find that about 90% of those who've tried both prefer the dichlor version (especially when you have ozone and Nature 2). I often see people who have Bromine and give chlorine a try and most of them quickly swear off Bromine after trying chlorine.

So I guess this means that people like me who don't use both or are familiar with dichlor are not qualified to answer questions about sanitizers unless it's about the one we use?

Soakin

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 04:24:56 pm »
Spatech..there is no way in this  lifetime that I will ever change over to anything that has chlorine in it, the reason being.....I'm not a huge fan of chlorine and here's why...
1. I'm allergic to chlorine it makes my sinuses clog up tighter than a drain pipe with hair clogged in it.
2. It makes me ITCH bad..we aren't talking about just a little bit..we are talking a full fledge rash.
so...you all just go ahead and have your dichlor I'll stay perfectly fine with my Bromine thanks.BP

You are aware that most Bromine products have chlorine in them, right?  Brilliance is the only one I've heard of that doesn't.  If you  are allergic, you better check the label. :o

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 06:01:49 pm »
You are aware that most Bromine products have chlorine in them, right?  Brilliance is the only one I've heard of that doesn't.  If you  are allergic, you better check the label. :o

It always surprises people that about 25% of those bromine tabs are chlorine. I wish I had experience with the Brilliance product but I know Chas likes it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 06:07:05 pm by Spatech_tuo »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 06:06:19 pm »

so...you all just go ahead and have your dichlor I'll stay perfectly fine with my Bromine thanks.

BP

The chlorine in public spas and pools is what gives it a bad name and I'm sure you've had issues with it as they load it up for obvious reasons.

The Bromine tabs you use are about 25% chlorine. They slowly release chlorine and bromine into the water. With a chlorine system you add chlroine after you get out and it spikes it up and by the next morning you'll have very little residual of chlorine. Therefore, if you run nto skin issues with the Bromine tabs due to the chlorine in them I'd recommend switching to a Nature 2 chlorine based system over the Bromine you're using as I think you'll soak in less chlorine that way.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 06:09:31 pm by Spatech_tuo »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2005, 06:18:15 pm »

The chlorine in public spas and pools is what gives it a bad name and I'm sure you've had issues with it as they load it up for obvious reasons.

:)

I do not beleive it is the high levels of chlorine in these pools as much as the high amount of chloramines. Most public pools are quite nice, immediately after opening or reopening (notice many of them close at lunch, its not so the guards can have lunch, but so that they can oxidize it).
Homeworks Financing Representative

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2005, 06:32:49 pm »
I do not beleive it is the high levels of chlorine in these pools as much as the high amount of chloramines.

They certainly use more chlorine that you'll use at home but you are of course correct that its the chloromines that cause the smell, irritation, etc. Chlorine use and chloromines in home use (assuming you're not at the cheaper by the dozen home) and that seen in a public spa are night and day. I've seen so many people start with skepticism over chlorine use based on their experience in public spas only to find out how great it works in their own spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2005, 06:32:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42