What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Nightmare  (Read 3017 times)

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Water Nightmare
« on: July 20, 2005, 05:19:53 pm »
Ok - I decided last night that I would drain-out our tub as our water hasn't been too great lately. About 2 months ago I did scheduled water change and noticed that my 'fresh' water once filled, had a greenish-hue to it. Also, I noticed that the Bromine level took about a week to bounce back to proper levels (using the floating puck system). I couldn't get any solid answers on the colour problem - we've had tons of rain here this spring/summer and wondered if that had any effect. Not sure.

Anyways, I've since learned that the pucks only help maintain the bromine level, and that I would benefit from an initial shot of bromine concentrate - which I did.

I tested the water out of the tap this morning- zero bromine (thankfully), and perfect alk and ph. After adding some concentrate - Boom! My ph was off the charts and the alk was nowhere to be seen. Also, I have not been able to get any reading on the bromine level at all - even after putting in three large caps of it.

As I stand now, after all day, I've managed to get my ph into normal zones, my alk is still missing as well as my bromine. To top it off, initially, after this fill, my water had a skim of something across the top (oil slick?) and still had a greenish-hue, but not as bad as before. I've also changed filters again (disposable). Also, I've been advised by my dealer that because of the composition of this filter, I do not need any stain or scale.

I've since dropped off a sample at my dealer, but am waiting for results as they were busy there today.

Not sure what the nature of this post is. If anyone has any input that would be great. My initial water management used to be a snap, but lately I'm struggling a bit. Not sure why.

Jc

I use bromine pucks in a floating feeder. No ozone.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 05:20:21 pm by JcDenton »
How do you know how much you don't know?

Hot Tub Forum

Water Nightmare
« on: July 20, 2005, 05:19:53 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Water Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:32:10 pm »
I think it's that Beachcomber dealer getting even with you for not buying HIS tub! ;D

As far as water color, I posted my own water color issue but although I'm using chlorine, bromine may act the same: if too large amount of chlorine is used it will affect all the other tests. If I dump in say 15 PPM chlorine it will bleach out all the other tests - maybe bromine does the same and that's your problem. How many PPM does 3 large capfuls supposed to give you? I know your supposed to have a reserve amount of bromine - do you need to activate it with shock?

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 08:54:23 am »
if too large amount of chlorine is used it will affect all the other tests.  - do you need to activate it with shock?

That is what I think happened - too much chemical. My readings were so messed-up they weren't even close! I was getting colours that I thought didn't exist (on my test-strips)  :o I did a 1/2 drain/refill late last night and am about to check it this morning. The  water looked better (no film on top) which has me wondering. Prior to emptying my tup, I ran 8 oz of a special spa cleaner through the tub/jets for 1 hr/40 minutes before draining. Possibly, there was a residual? I probably won't use that product again.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 08:54:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42