What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water top off  (Read 10281 times)

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Water top off
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:39:39 am »
Hello all,

After about a week of heavy use (mostly by my daughters and their friends) the water level in our Majesta has dropped a couple of inches.  Can I just top it off with water from the hose without adding any type of chemicals, or do I need to add somthing to treat the new tap water?  Thanks

Frankeyboy

Hot Tub Forum

Water top off
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:39:39 am »

tootall

Re: Water top off
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:43:50 am »
Good question I too would like to know the answer to that one as well.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:46:02 am »
I've topped my tubs off directly from the hose (and in the winter from the bathtub using a clean bucket), tested and never had to adjust the water.

I would assume that it all depends on the quality of water comming from your tap.

There is also an issue of a certain bacteria that can live inside of a garden hose and it is suggested that  when filling the tub from a garden hose, always shock the tub. I don't think you would need to do this when just topping off an already balanced and sanitized tub.  I'd just run the jets for a few minutes and then dip in a strip.

On filling/topping of  the tub, I was given what appeared to be good advice: even though the manufactuer recomends filling to a certain point,  only fill to a bit below any pillows you may have. The thought being having the pillows sitting in the water 24/7 can degrade them much quicker than if they were only getting wet when people where in the tub.

I had filled my tub to the "recomended" level and the bottom of the pillows were about 1//2 inch submerged without anyone in the tub.  It was recomeneded to me that if I drop my water by an inch, I'd probalbly tripple the life of the expsensive pillows.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 02:28:00 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 11:12:29 am »
Adding a couple of inches to a spa will not tend to make any changes in water balance due to the sheer volume of water.

Test the following day to confirm.

Steve

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 11:14:15 am »
I would fill with the hose, shock and then test the following day. Usually, Ph will start to drift with repeated fills...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 11:43:16 am »
I would fill with the hose, shock and then test the following day. Usually, Ph will start to drift with repeated fills...

Drewski

8)

Drewski,

Are you a spa chemical salesman?  ;)

Topping off the tub should not require shock.  Just test and adjust as necessary (if at all).
07 Caldera Geneva

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 11:57:28 am »
What we usually do (we have to top off a couple of inches every third day due to hubby spillage, gotta love a big guy  ;D ) is top it off, leave it until our evening soak at 9pm, I usually go in a few times before that. and test the water that evening, sometimes I need to add, sometimes I don't.

Backpains

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 02:04:16 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice.  I will top it off today and check it later tonight.

Frankeyboy

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 02:15:49 pm »
Also what I do is flush the hose out, i.e. run it in the lawn a few minutes before adding to the tub. Any old water that was in the hose already that included the city-supplied sanitizer (chlorine?) has probably dissipated, which could lead to bacteria growth inside.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 02:37:03 pm »
Try to top off regularly, such as weekly.  You will not be adding too much fresh water at a time and will not affect water balance.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 03:59:39 pm »

Drewski,

Are you a spa chemical salesman?  ;)

Topping off the tub should not require shock.  Just test and adjust as necessary (if at all).

Sorry Drewstar (Hey, ANOTHER Drew!), I'm not. I'd suggest, however, that you read his question:

Hello all,

After about a week of heavy use (mostly by my daughters and their friends) the water level in our Majesta has dropped a couple of inches.  Can I just top it off with water from the hose without adding any type of chemicals, or do I need to add somthing to treat the new tap water?  Thanks

Frankeyboy

A "couple of inches" drop equates to roughly 80 gallons of water in an 8X8 tub. Having experienced this weekly with all the kids that get in my tub, I've found that adding water often changes the chemical equilibrium of the tub pretty fast. Sometimes it's clear the night I add water, but by the next day it's cloudy.

Accordingly, I always add a small amount of shock whenever I add significant water. This is especially true when the water's "old," just before you need to change.

My experience, for what its worth....

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 04:08:12 pm »
Hey Drewski....yea another drew. I actually have a bone to pick with you. When I tried to register my screen name I wanted Drewski.  Arrrrrgh  ;)

Re: Spa chemical salesman quip: I guess I am frugal.  ;D

My point  was given a clean balanced tub, I've never had a problem topping it off.  I think it's really a factor of the quality of water off the tap.  People are surprised with my town water, it tests perfect right from the spigot.  My pool and tub are usually clean.

8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 04:08:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 04:08:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42