What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SD Maxxus wet test and accessories questions  (Read 2925 times)

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
SD Maxxus wet test and accessories questions
« on: July 05, 2005, 04:38:43 pm »
Well, finally got a chance to wet test the Max last weekend, and, of course, the things you learn from a wet test!   I've pored over the website materials and the online Owner's Manual, but I didn't notice that the 'foot mound' isn't centered in the spa.

That's a very nice feature, since it means that shorter people can use two of the three seats easily in this large spa, since it provides them with something to 'push off of'.  The lounger is very nice, also, with a more form-fitting feel than the one we had on our past spa.  Very impressed with the spa, as a whole.

Now, a question on some of the possible SD accessories.  Besides the cost, of course, does anyone have anything to report on the various remote gadgets SD has available?  They have one for the stereo (I'm still up in the air on getting the stereo) and also a combo one for the stereo and the spa (runs the jets/pumps).

So, the question is, I know SD makes a good spa, but how reliable are these electronic gizmos?  I don't want the stereo or the spa itself turning on at random times because of some random radio signal!  (I hope when you turn the radio and the spa off at the main control panel, the remote is dead, but I dunno...).

Anyone ever have experience with these?
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

SD Maxxus wet test and accessories questions
« on: July 05, 2005, 04:38:43 pm »

J._McD

Re: SD Maxxus wet test and accessories questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 05:24:26 pm »
The "new" remote has been out since early last year and I do not believe you will get a lot of aged history on this item.  1) The remote is not really necessary unless you are going to be changing radio stations or turning the volumn up and down.  Most people stick in a CD, kick back and relax.  2) The need to purchase the interface for controlling the pumps is something that you don't really need but something money will buy.  

Go with it or with out it.  I might note, this is the 2nd generation remote and is water proof where the first one was "water resistant".

Hope this helps.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 07:31:13 pm »
You dont' really need to use the remote to run the spa itself, all of those controls are in easy reach from inside the spa.  At least they are on our Optima, gotta believe the Maxus is similar in that regard.  Occasionally, it would be nice to have the remote for changing the volume on the stereo, or changing the radio station, but we've lived without it so far.  
One thing would be nice would be capacity for loading in more than one CD.  We usually stay in our spa for at a good hour.  
Just my $.02
Brewman
Brewman

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 09:12:51 pm »
That is the one reason we opted not to get the stereo with our Majesta. They need to have a cd changer of at least 3 disc to rotate between. That would give you some variety without having to change the disc while you are in the spa.

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 08:41:00 am »
we have a maxxus with stereo; dealer just dropped off floating remote on monday. i was in tub last night with my 3 year old daughter and had her disney princess stories cd in. the remote was nice to adjust volume without needing to maneuver to reach volume control. having the ability to turn pumps on and off a plus from seats away from main control panel. could we survive without stereo and remote? of course. does it add to the enjoyment of hot tubbing? you bet! considering the cost of quality tubs, if you are contemplating stereo and remote, get it. the sundance stereo sounds great and it is ready to play.

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 09:14:42 am »
We have the Sundance Majesta with the factory installed stereo.  It comes with the remote, and makes changing radio stations and volume very nice.  It would be better if you could see what channel you were on without having to get out of the tub and look at the stereo.  (no LCD display on remote).  You will not get any interference with this setup since it is an infared remote.  You point the remote at one of the pop up speakers to use it.  I don't have the module installed to adjust the jets and lighting with the remote, but it seems like it would be a nice feature to have.  The stereo sounds very nice at low volume, but there is quite a bit of distortion and vibration when you crank it up.  When the jets are running you need to turn up the volume a bit to hear the music, which is fine when you are by yourself, but if one of you has your head right next to the speaker it will be too loud, but just right for the person who is sitting away from a speaker.  I was sitting in the tub a few nights ago listening to U-2 at what I thought was a low volume.  My wife was upstairs in bed (directly above the spa) and she opened the window and said it was WAY too loud.  Although there a quite a few limitations to the stereo, I still am very happy that we decided to get it.

Frankeyboy

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 09:20:35 am »
  My wife was upstairs in bed (directly above the spa) and she opened the window and said it was WAY too loud.

Headphones?
07 Caldera Geneva

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 10:31:19 am »
 My wife was upstairs in bed (directly above the spa) and she opened the window and said it was WAY too loud.

Headphones?

Are headphones an option for the Sundance stereo?  I don't remember seeing headphones as an option.

Frankeyboy

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 01:13:40 pm »
Thanks for all the comments!  This is supposed to be a marine stereo, and I don't remember seeing a headphone jack, either.  My dealer doesn't say the stereo (only) remote comes with the stereo, but I'm getting it for $799, not the $1499 on the price sheet (for whatever that's worth... :)  ).

There's also some sort of noise reduction feature on the remote that has the jet/pump control that's not on the stereo-only remote, so who knows what that does...

I know all of this is gravy; I can also add the 'spa' remote later for only about $350 or so, so I dunno... the stereo is a nice touch, but, as was mention, a multi-CD changer would be nice.  The dealer also mentioned that the stereo has some sort of internal option for tying into one/both of the satellite radio providers (XM/Sirius) for those that want to get real crazy.  :-)

My first inclination is to go with the stereo, since we can't add that later, and see how it goes.

Thanks!
--
Lee

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 02:20:06 pm »
The stereo that we got came with the remote.  It has all the buttons necessary to control the jets once the control module is purchased and installed.  The instruction manual does not say anything about satellite radio options.  The dealer sold this to us at "his cost"; $500.

Frankeyboy

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 02:25:14 pm »
What year is that one?  Because on the (Dealer's 2005) price sheet, there's the (MSRP) $999 "Stereo" and then there's the $1499 "Factory Installed SunSound Stereo" (which is what I'm referring to).

Dunno if we're all talking about the same thing or not.  A lot of other posts back when said the normal price for the SD Stereo was $1000, and that seems to indicate the 'other' stereo.  I'm getting confused, now....  Any SD dealers want to chime in?
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 02:25:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42