What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: out shopping for a spa  (Read 6734 times)

J._McD

Re: out shopping for a spa
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 06:20:57 pm »
If nothing more, we stir up some controversy here and definitly get to the truth.

Vinny, yes it is true baking soda is baking soda, and I would say vinegar is harmless as well.  But, what is generic is NOT always good.

FIRST, my disclaimer, I am not a chemist, nothing close to it, if you need one go see JA, I am sure he has access to one.  I have learned what I have learned from the school of experiences, trials and errors over 22 years.  This is not, nor has it been an exacting science, and I have had one bad experience that I will not expose myself to again.  I will Guarantee Your Satisfaction on my terms, use my chemicals.

We sell Bio-guard enhanced shock for $14.95.  I am not in business to get rich on my customers.  I am in business to help my customer.  THAT makes me different, maybe.  When my customer previously owned a different brand spa and maintained his water as he did, he is an old dog and you can't teach him new tricks.  He refused to follow our guidelines.  Hydrogen Peroxide should not be used, yet I see so many posters asking if it is OK without even knowing how many different formulations of HP there are.  I see so many pool owners using liquid chlorine and tablet tri-chlor.  And, I see so many consumers warn other shopping consumers that dealers "will void your warranty" and just maybe, rightly so.

How does a new consumer really get acquainted with water chemistry?  We have ONE person who will speak with all customers so as NOT to create any conflicting information.  Invariably, customer will ask technical questions of the delivery crew.  THEY DON'T KNOW THE ANSWERS.  But, sometimes they want to help.  I wish I could have all the money back I paid for those experiences.

Vinny, and all others, with all due respect, I don't know who you can trust but your salesperson is a salesperson, the service tech is the service tech and the deliver labor happens to be the delivery labor.  They are always being asked questions outside of their area of expertise and knowledgeable perameters.  Your dealer, well he is supposed to have a working machine to help you and I would have to say some of them are profit motivated and could care less.

My informational resources ARE those companies that profit from selling the chemicals.  I guess that makes me biased.  They, according to you, are biased in favor of making profits.  Well, I suppose I have to agree with you.  But let's settle on one thing generic chemicals are different than specifically formulated chemicals for a specific purpose.  

This "next door" neighbor is responsible for his damages, but he can argue differently so it dosen't cost him anything, but still we all agree, he is an idiot.

Shop around for chemical prices, Read the labels, Ask questions, track the prices, buy what you need from the resources that you can trust.  Why, because you are responsible for who ever gets in that water, as well as the care and maintenance of your expensive Hot Tub and it's equipment.

Use common sense and enjoy a clean and sanitary environment that dosen't eat your skin off.

Your 2 best testers, Sight and Smell. ;D ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 06:20:57 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2005, 08:42:18 pm »
J._McD,

I truly believe you along with a lot of people on this board are EXCELLENT dealers.  I have said this before - I do wish that most of you had your dealerships close by when I was looking for a tub.

I believe that my dealer is an OK dealer, maybe just a little under experienced. It also can be a personal pride thing (or paranoia) with me - I am extremely serious about my water quality and her way just might work but it is a little too  "unscientific"  for me. I am into the total water balance way of doing things.

As far as generic, as I alluded to before - not everything can be generic, but a newbie may not know this or maybe it's not worth the trouble to find generic. I was amazed when I walked into Walmart and looked at their spa chlorine (HTH) and it was calcium hypochlorite, not sodium dichlor.  But if a consumer comes across a sale of pool bromine pucks or sodium dichlor AND it's the same as a spa's - then they can use it.

The brand she sells is Spa Essentials and I'm talking about a product called "Spa Shock Extra". At $23 a pop, I truly believe it's too expensive. If it was $15 for it, I would most certainly buy from her. But as I said in another thread a while back - Doc has an excellent forum and I have gotten excellent advice there as well - so I feel I must buy from him too. I feel I am an extremely loyal customer whenever I choose a contractor or dealer as long as I  get treated correctly!

Please don't take me saying what I'm saying as pooh-poohing your experience off - It is invaluable!

Vinny

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2005, 08:49:31 pm »
Doc does ship to Canada!!!  Not that I'm in Canada, but I do know he has a loyal customer base there!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2005, 08:51:31 pm »
Doc does ship to Canada!!!  Not that I'm in Canada, but I do know he has a loyal customer base there!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

J._McD

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2005, 11:48:53 pm »
J._McD,

I truly believe you along with a lot of people on this board are EXCELLENT dealers.  I have said this before - I do wish that most of you had your dealerships close by when I was looking for a tub.

I believe that my dealer is an OK dealer, maybe just a little under experienced. It also can be a personal pride thing (or paranoia) with me - I am extremely serious about my water quality and her way just might work but it is a little too  "unscientific"  for me. I am into the total water balance way of doing things.

As far as generic, as I alluded to before - not everything can be generic, but a newbie may not know this or maybe it's not worth the trouble to find generic. I was amazed when I walked into Walmart and looked at their spa chlorine (HTH) and it was calcium hypochlorite, not sodium dichlor.  But if a consumer comes across a sale of pool bromine pucks or sodium dichlor AND it's the same as a spa's - then they can use it.

The brand she sells is Spa Essentials and I'm talking about a product called "Spa Shock Extra". At $23 a pop, I truly believe it's too expensive. If it was $15 for it, I would most certainly buy from her. But as I said in another thread a while back - Doc has an excellent forum and I have gotten excellent advice there as well - so I feel I must buy from him too. I feel I am an extremely loyal customer whenever I choose a contractor or dealer as long as I  get treated correctly!

Please don't take me saying what I'm saying as pooh-poohing your experience off - It is invaluable!

Vinny

vinny, if you haven't noticed, I am somewhat opinionated to my way of thinking, aren't we all.  And, I live in a small world, mine.  

I have my opinions on what dealers should do for their customers and many of the dealers I know with better quality lines DO take care of their customers, but my eyes have been opened, by the many others who have profit $$motives ahead of customer care and relations.  

I guess I never learned that early on in this business as I have been a very strong proponent of ozone purification to reduce the need for chemicals in the first place.  Ozone really makes it simple.  I spoke up once on Doc's site and boy did I get challenged from every direction from every doubting thomas.  Doc even told me it was NOT a sanitizer, but today he knows better, and he even appologized.

I think relationships are most important.  Relationships with your wife, your family, your children, your friends, and it comes around to your dealer too, as well as the resources that you get worthwhile and meaningful information that you can trust and count on.  Doc's site is very good for that.  Northman and Vermonter are great contributors.

I wish I could find a way to capitalize on being honest and nice to people, but in the end you get walked on by others.  Even though you may be independent, you still have people to make happy and please.  First your wife,  ;D then the supply chain, then the consumers.  To most and many others your just the "dealer" and in this industry, they seem to be on the level of used car salespersons.  I will be the first to tell you, I don't think I have ever met anyone that told me the truth about "How many spas they sell in a year".  In that category, it seems nobody shares the truth.

So Vinny, I know what your saying.

I am somewhat troubled by the new thread about service.  That is the dealer that tells anybody they talk to that has shopped my store that I charge for service and they don't.  Well, that's not what their customer is saying, $95,  :o WOW, and then they deny service until paid,  :o WOW
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 11:52:14 pm by J._McD »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2005, 11:48:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42