What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: leveling tub  (Read 3374 times)

newbe

leveling tub
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:04:30 pm »
I am having a hot tub delivered next week.
I have a concrete patio that seems somewhat level.
Someone told me that when they put in their hot tub they had to drain it and fill it again because of this problem.
I called the dealer and he said it shouldn't make a difference as long as it is a gradual drain off.
Is there anything I need to make sure of?

Hot Tub Forum

leveling tub
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:04:30 pm »

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Re: leveling tub
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 09:46:11 am »
How big is the pad? Did you place a level on it?

Let us know this info and we can give you better advice.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 11:57:12 am »
Obviuously, from a spa support point of view, you don't want any glaring humps or dips where places of the spa that will be expecting support either won't get it or will be lifted too high, and 'wrack' the frame.

It's not 'level' with respect to the earth that's the major problem (it's nice, and you want a little slope for runoff, as has been discussed a lot here), but you want the pad to be *flat* so the spa bottom will match up.

That's what behind the threads here about having to drain and shim, etc. Not fun.  I'd be sure (and I'm going to be sure!) the pad is as flat as possible.
--
Lee

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 03:09:22 pm »
Actually I was the one who drained my tub to re-shim it.

This was done because shims were only placed at the lowest point raising the tub level but the center of the tub was then suspended and not shimmed. This was a concern for the structural integrity of the tub shell.

I shimmed it only to make the water line level in the tub. I have a real eye for straight lines and my tub not being level would have buged me.

newbe

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 11:09:26 pm »
We put a level on it today and it is flat.
The bubble was right in the middle horizontally and half in half out of the bubble vertically using a 4 ft long board across it.
The patio is concrete and 30x12 with an overhead awning.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 10:12:05 am »
We put a level on it today and it is flat.
The bubble was right in the middle horizontally and half in half out of the bubble vertically using a 4 ft long board across it.
The patio is concrete and 30x12 with an overhead awning.

If measuring length wise your bubble was half in half out I don’t think that is so bad. That’s about were mine was.

Now that was over only four feet because you used a four foot level. If your tub is 7.5 or longer then using an eight foot level would give you a better idea.

The most important thing is to make sure is your filter is on the low side.

If you’re like me and need a level water line it sounds like you could shim it.

You need to check your owner’s manual/manufactures information on shimming your particular tub.

I bought a HS and the tub I bought could be shimmed and instructions were in the manual.

However, HS has two bigger tubs that they say should not be shimmed due to their weight.
For warranty purposes I would only go on whether the manufacture lists this information.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 10:39:35 am »
My cement patio extends 14' out from the house.  My tub is going at the end of the pad.  When I had the cement guys grade their slope for run off, I had the 14 by 14 part of my patio slope 1" over the 14 feet for the tub.  the rest has about a 2 to 4 inch slope.  I will use shims if it is really noticable.  I think the water line will drive me to drink heavily always wondering if it is straight or crooked.

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 12:16:51 pm »
Just keep the jets on when you're near it and you won't even notice the water line!!!    ;D

Susan

autoplay

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 12:27:05 pm »
Bosco,you'll barely notice the waterline,esp when the cover is covering it 95% of the time :) Mine has a pitch of about 1/8" per ft.  I have the spa positioned with the filter on the low side of the slab. I'll take a pic of the waterline,and post it here.

BTW,nice pics/job you did on your spa. ?....what was the yellow cord(?)thingy,running underneath your conduit?

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 01:27:36 pm »
that was my extension chord.  I screwed up, not paying attention.  Boy was that fun digging it back out.

newbe

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 04:09:50 pm »
Thanks for all the input.
Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 04:09:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42