What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: retractable awnings over spa  (Read 7129 times)

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
retractable awnings over spa
« on: June 25, 2005, 07:35:45 am »
i am looking at putting a retractable awning over spa in summer to keep sunrays out. sunsetter seems to offer a nice product that's resonably priced; it can also handle staying up in rain. anyone using one? if so, which brands?

Hot Tub Forum

retractable awnings over spa
« on: June 25, 2005, 07:35:45 am »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: retractable awnings over spa
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 07:47:50 am »
I, too, looked at SunSetter and it does look like a very nice product though I've decided to not cover the spa at all.....in the summer I avoid soaking in the middle of the day.....just early mornings and late afternoon/sunset/evening soaks..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 07:48:33 am »
Costco in Canada has a nice one and they let you return anything.  Might be available in U.S. also.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 07:57:36 am »
I've heard good things about offset umbrellas, They too handle the rain without problems.

I guess I'm lucky, I bought a 30+ year old house with mature trees close to the house, about 20 - 25 ', and they do a great job at blocking the sun. Maybe that can be a consideration for you - deciduous trees that will block the sun in summer and lose their leaves in the winter. I believe some are quick growers and you'll have shade in no time!

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 03:21:46 pm »
I have an offset umbrella and it works well, I can swing it around to cover my deck if I want to sit and read or swing in out over a small table on the grass to sit a have a snack or drink if I want.
I bought it at Big Lots when the opened in our town a couple of months ago for Seventy dollars.
It has a heavy duty stand that you can bolt to your deck or if your on the ground just put a couple of patio bricks on it. I also see some at grocery stores but they cost more and are not as nice looking as mine.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:21:13 am »
I have had my Sunsetter awning over my spa for the past 2 years.  I could not be happier.  I bought the 1000 series which is the manual awning and it has been great.   It rolls and unrolls easily.  I installed it myself too.  It is great for shade but I also bought the RainAway arches to help keep the rain off.  I would definitely recommend this product.  

SpaJohn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 03:23:56 pm »
I've had my tub for about a year and have been thinking about some type of awning for quite some time.  Seems it would be beneficial to keep the sun off the cover. Adding to the time a cover looks good and possibly even to the life of a cover.  My questions is how well do these awnings hold up in windy conditions?  Here in the Midwest we get our fair share of strong winds.  Thanks in advance for any comments or advice!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 03:40:13 pm »
I've had my tub for about a year and have been thinking about some type of awning for quite some time.  Seems it would be beneficial to keep the sun off the cover. Adding to the time a cover looks good and possibly even to the life of a cover.  My questions is how well do these awnings hold up in windy conditions?  Here in the Midwest we get our fair share of strong winds.  Thanks in advance for any comments or advice!

Strong winds took my umbrella which I forgot to put down before the storm.  In the midwest we get occasional ice storms too, Last Christmas I was glad I cut down a tree to put my spa in, lots of damage in my neighborhood, but not in my yard.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 03:43:12 pm »
The beauty of a retractable awning is that you can roll it up in times of heavy wind.  I think they recommend you roll up a Sunsetter awning if the wind speed exceeds 20 MPH....dont quote me on that but for some reason that figure sticks out in my mind.  You may want to call Sunsetter to get their official wind limit.  

I have the optional RainAway arches and deflappers which help stabilize the awning in the wind but even without these accesories it is a very well constructed sturdy awning.  It definitely saves some wear and tear on the cover if you leave it out all the time but I find the biggest advantage is the shade provided which allows us to use the hot tub year round even on the hottest days.  I turn the temp down to the low 90s and it is really refreshing on a hot day under the awning.

And of course the awning comes in real handy if it is raining.  As I mentioned before I would recommend this product.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 07:57:13 pm »
We put a gazebo over our tub in summer, but summer here in NC can run 9months out of the year.   It keeps debris from blowing in, blocks the sun.  The sides are all open, its basically a big canvas top.  I hung some japanese lanterns in the corners and christmas white lights about the frame, it looks great.  

**we got the gazebo free from Harris Teeter for saving grocery receipts last spring!  

spaaz

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 02:56:52 pm »
Where do you live?  I have had a Sunsetter awning over my back patio for about 6 years. In AZ everything is fine until monsoon season. The weather will be just fine until you roll out the awning and leave for a day. Even with the awning tilted so the rain (supposedly) runs off, my filled with water and collapsed when I tried to drain it off.  The good news is they are easy to repair if necessary. This was a one time event and learning experience. Though not cheap-mine was @$900 for 18 ft- I think they are a good value.
I don't have a spa under mine but check the height of where you are going to put it (how it will mount to the house) and make sure you have enough clearance to extend the awning. It rolls out to waist height, then is lifted to its final height (mine at 6ft at the end from 8ft attachment to house)

Good Luck!
SpaAz

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 02:56:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42