What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi Quantum replacement  (Read 8468 times)

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jacuzzi Quantum replacement
« on: June 29, 2005, 01:48:21 pm »
New here

I just had my old Quantum diagnosed as terminal. It's probably 20 years old---and froze up last winter--estimated repairs are over $1K
So, it's apparently time to shop for a new outdoor spa and I'm here looking to learn.
I need to stay in about the same dimensions as the Quantum which is 94" X 87" X 37" high--outside dimension. I really liked the Quantum because it is so deep from the lowest seat to the water line--(about 30"). I'm 6'4"---and that was it's main original selling point.  I need a deep tub.
I don't intend to buy into all the bells and whistles (electronic controls---stereo system--etc).  Basically--if Jacuzzi still made Quantums--I'd probably just go  out and buy one now.
Any guidance will be appreciated  

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Quantum replacement
« on: June 29, 2005, 01:48:21 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Jacuzzi Quantum replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 02:11:17 pm »
Well, you will most likely end up with digital electronic controls on the brand-name tubs. They are fine: dependable and it's nice to be able to set a tub for "101" instead of having to nudge the thermostat up a hair at a time until you finally get to the temp you want.

The Quantum had the famed Jacuzzi high volume pumps and jets, and those sadly are gone. I had a Quantum on my showroom all those years ago, and it was a great tub - I espcially liked how quiet the jets were, and there was no tub as deep. Unfortunately, you may have to really look to find one as deep these days. In the HotSpring line try a Grandee, or a Vista if you like a lounge.

Look closely at brand-name tubs - they may be the only way you'll get 20 years out of your next tub. And since you have owned a tub, you will know how important it is to wet test.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:23:39 pm »
I don't like to over promote the brand I bought, but from your and Chas' description, my Dynasty Excalibur might fit the bill.  I'ts 92x92 and deep. I'm 6'2 and it does have either two or three high volume pumps. Jacuzzi is still around. I think their website is http://www.jacuzzipremium.com
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 03:34:27 pm »
Over 20 years old? Really? That's quite a testiment to Jaquizzi.
07 Caldera Geneva

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 04:09:32 pm »
That's a guess---I bought it used around 1985 or so---it was a freight damaged unit that had been repaired by a local guy who did such work.  The last two or three years it has sat neglected--thus the freeze out last winter or the one before (the cover had so deteriorated that it didn't stop much moisture.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 04:10:28 pm »
Did Sundance just purchase them because they could or was there a real market hole that they had they were trying to fill?  I was assuming that SD 800s were 'better' than J's, but don't know how the 700 (Sweetwaters) compared to J's, or are the J's really not comparable to the other SD lines?
--
Lee

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 04:12:15 pm »
Chas
My main goal is  a tub as deep.  Disappointed there might not be much selection.  I'm also limited to a 91" X 91" footprint for the base--that's absolute maximum.

Does one mfg tend to offer deeper tubs than another?

That's my key criteria

Chris_H

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 04:14:24 pm »
Did Sundance just purchase them because they could or was there a real market hole that they had they were trying to fill?  I was assuming that SD 800s were 'better' than J's, but don't know how the 700 (Sweetwaters) compared to J's, or are the J's really not comparable to the other SD lines?

Jacuzzi bought Sundance.  Generally, speaking the Sundance 800 Series is better based on warranty and in my opinion better based on features.  The Sundance 700 Series now has the same exact warranty as the Jacuzzi 300 series.  The 700 series and Jacuzzi’s 300 series use the same components like heaters and motors.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 04:29:48 pm »
Ah! Didn't know the history, and it's a little unclear at  'poolandspa' where the vendor listing implies Sundance is 'over' Jacuzzi.

Thanks much!
--
Lee

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 04:44:49 pm »
Sundance, the company, was purchased by Jacuzzi, the parent back in the late 90's I believe with Sundance remaining a wholly owned company with the Sundance management team in place.  In addition, Sundance took over all hot tub/spa manuacturing from Jacuzzi Whirlpool Baths and in 2002 formed Jacuzzi Premium (in the mold of Sundance) and phased out the older style Jacuzzi spas.  So, Sundance manufactures Jacuzzi Premium, but Jacuzzi Brands wholly owns Sundance.

Confusing.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 05:09:41 pm »
Hm, that's a bit complex.  So SD makes J, but J owns SD.  :)   Got it.
--
Lee

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:27:17 pm »
8' by 8' (or so) spas are very common. All the manufacturers will have spas that size or so and they all have some spas that I would think are deep enough for a 6'4' person. Visit the websites of the spa makers and they'll have dealer locators to assist you in finding who sells spas in your area as well as virtual showrooms on their websites with specifications on their various models. I typically recommend people look into well-established and reputable spa makers such as Sundance, Hot Spring, Marquis Caldera, D1. Many others here have spas they enjoy from such makers as Dynasty, Master, Jacuzzi, etc. so there are bound to be multiple choices in your area. Try to wet test those you're interested to be sure they fit well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 05:29:24 pm »
On top of that, the high end SD spas will have the newest engineering and bells and whistles with JP and other SD spas various steps behind.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 07:37:02 pm »
Spatech
Yes, have been checking out the websites on the "majors"
With my space criteria and depth need (looking for anything 37" depth and above), I've isolated the models from each mfg to focus on.
Cal Spa's dimensions look too big a foot print---Looks like I'll focus on selected models from Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Cadera and Sundance as all also have good--known local dealers in place.
Live in St Louis metro and the above have dealers very close to me

Marquis and Beachcomber dealers are too far from me (thus maybe they'd offer a better "deal")

Kind of hope Jacuzzi "wins"---the Quantum was a great tub---my neglect caused it's demise.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 07:37:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42