What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Does anybody use Metal Gone or Defender.  (Read 14950 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Does anybody use Metal Gone or Defender.
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:04:51 pm »
I refilled my tub on Saturday and all was good till today when I saw the yellow staining around my water line.

It came off pretty easy with a sponge and surface cleaner.

My PH was high so I added PH down and will recheck tomorrow.

I need to figure out if the staining is from high PH or metals in my water.

Reading up on both state that they can cause staining.

I was wondering if there was anybody out there that uses the Leisure Time Metal Gone every time they refill or the defender as part of their maintenance program?

Boy If I added all the chemicals that were available to help me control my water there would be no room left for the water. :o

Hot Tub Forum

Does anybody use Metal Gone or Defender.
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:04:51 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Does anybody use Metal Gone or Defender.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 07:04:53 am »
I think (?) a green tint means metal in the water. I filled the tub and it was crystal clear and it turned green after a while. Still crystal clear though, added some Metal Free and it lightened not gone, now it's blueish.

How high is your PH?   How hard is your water?   How about Alkalinity?

Is it possible it's just leftover bather's gunk from the previous water?  I had a brown ring and foam around the tub (new tub) and used some Spa Perfect (enzymes) to clear it up.

Good Luck!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 07:41:15 am »
This was a fresh refill. I soaked once. When I drained the tub I wiped it down with a towel but that’s it.

The Alkalinity was OK. PH was high. Calcium Hardness was OK.

Lowered PH and will recheck today. Manual says to wait two hours for a good reading but it was already 10:00pm.

Water is crystal clear.

See that’s what stinks is it metal, high PH or will spa perfect do the trick.

Don’t want to use so many chemicals I my tub. I want to soak in water.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:39:52 am »
When you say the PH was high - a PH of 7.8 although not ideal is not that high. If you stating a PH of 8.4 then that's a different story. But there are some people that use enzyme products (ECO One and The Natural) report that they actually have that high PH without problems.

Are you using test strips or a chemical test kit? - Test strips have been reported to be inaccurate (never used them myself). If you using the Taylor K-2005 kit there is a booklet in it that explains some water problems.

Do you have a local dealer? Maybe have the water tested.

I'm too new to really be of any help as far as diagnosis but wanted to give you some ideas. I agree with not wanting to use a lot of chemicals but I guess sometimes you can't be too minimal either. Spa water chemistry is a little different than pool water chemistry.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:44:39 am »
We use half bottle of metal gone with each water change.  I use a little less than 2oz of spa defender every other week.  In almost a year, we've never really had any water problems.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 04:33:06 pm »
I also use Metal Gon with every fill and Spa Defender every other week.  My water out of the tap is high in iron and manganese.  I once had brown staining on white areas around my two whirlpool jets.  At first thought it might be algae, but couldn't scrub it clean.  Determined that it was metal stains from topping water off too much at one time.  Figured it was there for good.  Next water change added Metal Gon and stains disappeared.  Like magic.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 07:22:49 am »
Souds good. I will have my water tested for metals but I will probably start using tese products.

Thanks!

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 07:42:19 am »
have been using leisure time products for almost 2 weeks. now the water has a greenish-blue tint although crystal clear. added another bottle of metal gon last night and some spa down(alkalinity was 180). i believe it is from copper in water. will this go away or should i drain and restart. dealer thinks we should just drain and restart and he will supply all chemicals to do so. dealer has used leisure time for 6 years with very few problems. any thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 07:42:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42