What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance 24 hr. circulation vs filter/ heating cyc  (Read 3134 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Sundance 24 hr. circulation vs filter/ heating cyc
« on: June 22, 2005, 07:30:19 pm »
I'm still a little confused on this issue.

On my tub (2005 Optima), 3 out of the four programmable filter/heating cycles seem to energize the circulator pump only, the fourth being the"blow-out" cycle at noon.

But the factory default of the circulating pump is 24/7, so if one is using the "standard" filter mode, with heater operation whenever needed, seems to me the filter cycle modes are redundant.

BTW, since my tub is indoors, with an ambient temp of 70-80 degrees, I am trying the "economy" filter mode first. According to the manual, this energizes the heaters only during the 4 filter modes. Is this correct?

The ozonator works all the time unless interrupted by a manual pump/air blower. Is there a way to reduce the run time of this, or is that a bad idea?

Thanks, John

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance 24 hr. circulation vs filter/ heating cyc
« on: June 22, 2005, 07:30:19 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Sundance 24 hr. circulation vs filter/ heating
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:54:16 am »
Because the 2005 Optima has no low speed pump, they only turn on the main pump for about 30 seconds when  a filter cycle starts.  They have enlarged the circulation pump and run that 24hrs to take care of most of the filtering.  If you set the circulation pump to run for less than that, (like 2 hrs)  it will also run for the time selected for the filter cycles.  

Ozone is an oxidizer first and a sanitizer second, so it should run 24hrs a day to keep up with the water.  You can change it by reducing the amount of time the circulation pump runs.  

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 11:59:49 am »
Thanks for the explanation.

So I understand that Ozone sanitizes the water "real time", meaning that if it isn't working, no sanitizing is being done (unless of course the bromine tabs are also being used).

Since that's the case, I can leave it on 24/7. But if the spa is covered, unused, shouldn't the water remain sanitized? (For a reasonable time period)

I guess my confusion comes from the fact that I have owned a outside swimming pool for years, and have found that 6-8 hrs of filtration per day, will keep my 27,000 gal pool clear. Granted along with chlorine use which disinfects as long as it is at a proper level,

But the system for a covered spa, located inside a dedicated room, holding 485 gals has to run 24/7 ???

At least I won't be spending the $$$ on chemicals, that I do with the pool  ;D

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 07:57:38 am »
"But if the spa is covered, unused, shouldn't the water remain sanitized? (For a reasonable time period) "

Only if you are using a bromine floater.  Once you take the sanitizer out of the water, bacteria begins to grow.  Remember, you are only sanitizing the water, not sterilizing it.  And ozone is only effective if it does not need to do a lot of oxidizing.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 07:57:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42