What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New owner  (Read 9963 times)

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: New owner
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 01:31:30 pm »
This is what I understand "Stone Dust" to be:

http://www.a1topsoil.com/soil.htm

Yep thats it!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 01:31:30 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 01:52:24 pm »
Well, I guess I will coment on the stone dust then...

Here in N.E Stond dust  is used quite a bite for footings, under foundations and such. The pulverized stone compacts very nicely. Given an adequate depth and compacted corectly this should be fine for under the tub. But I would be concerned about the edges around the tub, the dust exposed to the wind and rain. Would it wash away and eventually errode your foundation bed under the tub?

Hopefully there's some contractors in here that could answer?
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 03:14:08 pm »
And since i am completely unmotivated to work today here's a pic/link to a foundation from gravel and ties. FWIW

http://www.nespas.com/spas-10.html
07 Caldera Geneva

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 03:54:19 pm »

Yep thats it!

Looks to me like your'e half way there to a nice paver patio. ;D

If you have to rent or contract out a "jumping jack" tamper to compress the stone dust, then getting some pavers added on top of and tamped down is not much more of a big deal.

samhunter

• Maxxus, Johnny walker black, Padron aniversario!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 08:58:47 pm »
As long as you have a framework or border of pressure treated wood 4x4 or 6x6 that is not to be removed. The stone dust base should be ok w/a little water that stone dust packs as hard as concrete.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 09:08:14 pm »
Not good.....
I already have the stupid gravel hehe..its everywhere!

Thing is though, I dont want concrete, I am selling the house within a few years..want to be able to get ride of the spa base easily.

Perhaps if I use it in conjunction with those spa pads?

Thoughts

You’re going to sell in a few years? I have been in my house only three years and it seems like forever.

I actually plan on selling my house in a year or so but was no longer willing to put off getting a hot tub.

I poured a 16x20 slab. I figured the new owners might like a pre-plumed hot tub area and if not it wont be that big of deal to bust it up for the. I figured it won’t stop someone from buying my house.

Either way enjoy the spa!

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 09:54:33 pm »
Bonjour mr. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DO we need to write in Francais, I can if you will understand.  You live in Quebec.  Your frost goes down over 6 feet (2 Meters).  You bought a nice tub.  Go yell at your sales guy then have him pick up your dust.  You need to start with a 0 to 3/4 gravel base I would recommend about 6 to 8 inches for your location.  Shovel on 1 to two inches at a time, water down and compact with a plate vibrating compacter.  Make this a few inches larger than you cement pad will be.  Get some cheap 2 X 6 lumber and make a fram for the cement pad - on yop of the stone that you just compacted.  You will need to re-enforce the slabe with steel mesh.  Call in a cement truck unless you want really sore arms.  Make a set of cement shoes for your sales rep. with the left over cement.  Let the cement cure for a minimum of 7 days before you put the tub on it.  The screenings (dust) you bought is not good for the foundation under the pad.  This is the fines in the 0 to 3/4 gravel but is not good enough alone.  If you choose not to take this good advice then get the owner of the outfit you bought this from to give you directions on the install in writing.
They gave you BAD ADVICE!!!

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 12:11:09 am »
I agree with johnvb.....you have a good base for pavers if you don't want to waste the "dust" use it for your base of pavers. Pick an interlocking pattern and pay for the thicker pavers I believe they are 8cm regular one are 6cm and if I remember correctly they are rated for 10,000 lbs. Oh yeh get smoother ones they will be easier to move the spa on. We are getting pavers put on our driveway and patio next week and can ask them for more information on what you need to do if you would like. They offered ( at a cost of course) to install pavers where my spa will go but I decided to go with concrete since no one will see it when the spa is in place. best of luck and keep us informed on your progress.  

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 06:18:10 am »
I will get pictures of this mysterie rock tonight.

Also, they said that once compacted with a compacting machine it is almost as good as rock.

They also said to do many layers to get to the 6 inch marc and each time adding a bit of water.

The anti-weed cover is a good idea. Will make sure to get that.

Class 2 limestone is what I used under my spa, sounds like the same stuff AAA is talking about, moistened and compacted it is just like concrete with the ability to drain water through it. This is the stuff they put under freeways. Park a bulldozer on a freeway once see if it sinks. But I built a treated wood platform that sits on the limestone.
Retired

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 12:15:11 pm »
Great stuff here guys. I didnt realise this forum was so active.

My plan right now is to keep the whatever you call it and use that... Seems like a few people here agree with what i was told aout the dust, that with water, it compacts as hard as concrete and is pretty easy to set up.

Ad yes I will be moving within a max of 5 years. My curent house cannot allow for children, and I couldnt wait for the hot tub either hehe.

Dont have the money to have guys here to come and pave my spa foundation.. I would have to have my driveway done as well and all my curent money is going to install central AC.. I cant stand the heat.

Perhaps instead of going with 2x6 treated wood, I will go with thicker and have a few go through the middle like one person posted a link to... may make it stronger?

And yes I am french, but we can all keep the english going, thats fine by me.

And thanks a lot for the kind words and advice.

Lee

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2005, 11:50:40 am »
UPDATE:
I took some of the advice here, I kept the dust but instead of going with 6 inches of compacted dust as the dealer had told me, I doug a 10 inch hole and will end up with a total of around 16inches of compacted dust.

Hopefully this will do.

Only a week or 2 to go!

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2005, 12:09:03 pm »
AAAAAAA where are you from in Québec?

Congrats on your purchase. the Maxxus is a beautie. Félicitation mon amie!

AAAAAAA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2005, 12:47:48 pm »
Its funny that you congradulate me, after I purchased it, everyone at the dealer was congradulating me on the purchase... kinda like I won a prize or an acheivement of exellence... nope, I purchased an item, that is all hehe.

funny stuff.

Je suis de gatineau dans le secteur Hull. C'est a 10 minutes du centre ville d'Ottawa.

Ca bien l'air comme si je ne suis pas le seul francophone ici hehe. C'est bien!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2005, 12:47:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42