What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electric hookup for sundance maxxus  (Read 5215 times)

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
electric hookup for sundance maxxus
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:55:32 pm »
does anyone know the reasoning behind sundance using only 3 wires instead of 4; the neutral is not used?

Hot Tub Forum

electric hookup for sundance maxxus
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:55:32 pm »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Re: electric hookup for sundance maxxus
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 11:00:28 pm »
If it's like my Optima, it uses a 240v to 120v step down transformer. Which means that's one less wire I have to pull  ;D

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 11:46:04 pm »
The Hot Tub operates on 240 volts only, there is no application for 120 volts.  Hook up is for 2 hots and 1 ground only, no neutural wire.  The low voltage system runs off a stepdown transformer to low voltage.  

A neutural wire and 1 hot leg gives you 120 application and is not needed.  60 amps 240 volts

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 07:39:36 am »
discussing this with my electrician, a neutral helps with stray voltage. sundance recommends that you ground the grounding bar in the tub's subpanel to a copper ground rod in ground for added security. a simple easy solution for added piece of mind.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 07:46:15 am »
One thing you may consider is to run a neutral anyway, and cap it off at either end.  In the future should you replace the spa with another you may get one that runs on 120/240 and you'd be set.  
Our Optima also doesn't require the neutral, and I didn't run one.  If I or someone else ever needs to, pulling the wire will be one big hassle.  
Just a thought.  
Brewman
Brewman

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 07:49:07 am »
i ran 6 gauge with ground. the neutral is hooked up at gfi breaker end and capped off in tubs subpanel.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 12:13:05 pm »
Having a Neutral that is hooked up at the GFCI and capped at the spa end can lead to neuscence(?sp) tripping.  The wire acts like an antenna picking up signals and bringing them back to the GFCI.   Something you definitely do not want to happen when the weather is cold.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 02:44:28 pm »
I asked this about a month ago wondering the same thing, how they run power to the stereo and other 120VAC stuff, and was told there was a stepdown transformer.

I assume the whole idea is to reduce your/our cost in wiring not to have to run three largish conductors from the panel to the tub, but who knows.  I've seen the manuals online for other spas and they do have the neutral (reducing their cost without the stepdown and increasing your cost for cabling?).

I agree on not running (or at least not connecting at all) the neutral.  That's a large antenna sitting there if you don't need it, although for a future install that needs three wires, I understand the concept.  (And, I'm supposed to know something about this stuff, since I do have a moldy EE degree and a moldy Ham license, meaning I've not used either for a while... :) )

[BTW, from what I read in cabling books, you assume the ground is there, so we are talking about 2 vs 3 conductors.]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 02:45:25 pm by leesweet »
--
Lee

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 03:26:18 pm »
There is nothing that is 120v in the Sundance.  The stereo runs on a 240vac x 15vdc power supply.  The light is 12v.  

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 03:42:14 pm »
Really? Hm, a simpler answer! I thought it was normal  120 VDC from the last discussion or (I'd previously thought) marine 12VDC.

Interesting they use special equipment that runs off 240.  Thanks for the info!

(Edit:  Arg, that's a typo, of course.. meant 120 VAC!)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 04:07:57 pm by leesweet »
--
Lee

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
:-[Re: electric hookup for sundance maxxus
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 04:01:11 pm »
There is nothing that is 120v in the Sundance.  The stereo runs on a 240vac x 15vdc power supply.  The light is 12v.  

I stand corrected.. I must of read a 0 in there somewhere. It's 12vac not 120vac. I'm bad :-[

Hot Tub Forum

:-[Re: electric hookup for sundance maxxus
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 04:01:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42