What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do you use test strips?  (Read 4158 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Do you use test strips?
« on: June 12, 2005, 04:15:04 pm »
I was wondering if everybody uses test strips or a different type of testing kit.

The test strips are easy but matching the colors to the label on the bottle is a little subjective (color ranges are close).

Hot Tub Forum

Do you use test strips?
« on: June 12, 2005, 04:15:04 pm »

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Re: Do you use test strips?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 04:16:37 pm »
Yes, I use test strips for my spa. Some colors are a bit hard to tell. For me the pH level is the hardest color to match up but all in all, I think they do a pretty good job. I would love to know what some others may be using if not test strips.

samhunter

• Maxxus, Johnny walker black, Padron aniversario!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 04:41:35 pm »
I use the test strips for a quick check.  Once a week I use the taylor K-2005 kit, its very accurate & comes w/ a great booklet on proper water care. It sells for about $50 (docs site)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 05:38:26 pm »
Same as Samhunter here!

Strips are great for a quick check!  I love my Taylor (any re-agent kit will do) for the in-depth analysis!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 05:46:34 pm »
Great! I will pick up the Taylor kit.

I'm the type of person who has to know.... I refer to it as a personality flaw... others refer to it as anal ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:47:21 pm by drober30 »

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 11:14:16 pm »
How easy/hard is the Taylor kit to use?

Lori

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 06:44:25 am »
If I can use it, anyone can!   ;)

Seriously, it is a matter of dropping the re-agents into a tube of water from the spa and comparing the color.  The colors are a lot easier to read (for me anyway) than the strips!!!

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 07:41:12 am »
What if comes back positive.... ???  ???  ???

r100rs

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 07:45:10 am »
After two years, I don't have any test strips anymore. The sanitizer level is the only thing that can be easily read, and after two years of ownership I know what my santizer level is without testing it. It is close to zero when we get in the tub and I throw in enough sanitizer to keep the level up till our next soak.

and I use a $15 alternative to the Taylor (nothing against the Taylor) from HTH.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nicker

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 04:22:37 pm »
I use the test strips and a taylor kit.  I use the taylor kit generally once a week and the strips for quick checks.  Even know the kit doesn't take that long.   I did a comparison one and they both check out the same (to me anyway).   I think in the long run the test kit may be cheaper to use.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 08:33:50 am »
I stopped using the test strips after the second month. Am a long time pool owner and now a year old spa owner. I can tell by the look and feel of it if it needs to be shocked or not. I have my dealer test the water monthly for ph and alk levels cause that is mucho harder to discern.

fletch49

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 09:11:54 am »
I actually use fish aquarium test kits. They are the titration (sp) style, which I find very accurate. THey cover pH, GH, and KH (TA). Depending on what you are testing, the solution will start out one colour, and you add drops of reagent to the water until it changes to another colour, count the number of drop and you have your results.

I didn't find the test strips accurate enough, and found the Taylor Test kits too expensive.

brewski

• When in doubt bathe naked!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 04:09:57 pm »
After two years, I don't have any test strips anymore. The sanitizer level is the only thing that can be easily read, and after two years of ownership I know what my santizer level is without testing it. It is close to zero when we get in the tub and I throw in enough sanitizer to keep the level up till our next soak.

and I use a $15 alternative to the Taylor (nothing against the Taylor) from HTH.

I'm not sure I understand what your $15 alternative is to the Taylor. Would you please explain what this is and where I might possibly find one? Thanks!!

Lori

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 07:03:49 pm »
They are called "Re-agent kits" and I believe he got his at Wal-Mart (but I could be mistaken)!

I bought a $2.00 one at Target, but it only tested ph and chlorine (or bromine).  No alk, no calcium.  I do, however, have those with my Taylor.  That is the brand I see the most often, but any brand would do (or that is what I think)!!

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 07:36:24 pm »
The $15 HTH kit is available at Walmart, possibly others.
It tests Ph, Alk, hardness, Bromine/chlorine, and CYA.  
Of those test, I mostly use Ph, alk, and Bromine.  Hardness of my water is right in the bullseye, and I never get any results on CYA, so I stopped testing for it.
Brewman
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 07:39:39 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 07:36:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42