What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa maintenance costs  (Read 3361 times)

spanovice

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
spa maintenance costs
« on: June 15, 2005, 01:14:34 pm »
I love this forum and have learned alot as I consider things for a spa.  I'm wondering what a realistic time line is for maintenance costs after my warrantee expires.  I keep reading that the heater goes first etc.

My questions is if I maintain my spa well, chemical balancing etc. (including proper winterization)  how long should my heater, pumps, pipes, etc.  last.  And approximately what am I looking at in replacement/service costs.  

I don't mind monthly costs to maintain, but I also don't want a money pit in 5 years.

What do all you experts think?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

spa maintenance costs
« on: June 15, 2005, 01:14:34 pm »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: spa maintenance costs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 01:26:29 pm »
What is proper winterization?
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 01:28:09 pm »
Excellent question.  Personally I have owned my spa 2 years.  Besides long term owners, the techs here might have some input. I know they will site owner neglect in many cases, but those people aren't likely the ones asking questions like this one.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 02:59:32 pm »
The biggest neglect item we see would be not inspecting the equipment area for things like pump seal leaks.  Left unattended the water eventually leaks back into the motor and is not usually covered under the common warranty.  This takes a $50 repair to a $500 repair in 6 months.

We will replace the entire pump/motor under warranty in the event of a pump seal leak but all manufacturers do not cover pump seals.  

The plumbing should not be subject to failure, but the equipment is subject to "water chemistry".  A good dealer will be invaluable in the area and it is his job to orient you properly and to make you the water manager knowing what to look for and to expect.

shabba34

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 03:34:02 pm »

My questions is if I maintain my spa well, chemical balancing etc. (including proper winterization)  how long should my heater, pumps, pipes, etc.  last.  And approximately what am I looking at in replacement/service costs.  

The question is posed as if the spa was taken care of properly w/o customer neglect.   Replacement cost after the warranty expires can vary quite a bit from one dealer to the next.  My labor charge after the warranty period is $90.00 which includes the labor cost of changing the first major part, all subsequent parts will carry with it an additional $25.00 labor charge.  Some dealers charge trip charges for out of warranty work.  One can never really put a time frame on the failure of equipment regardless of who the manufacturer is.  I have seen a 22 year old HS Classic with all the original equipment in functioning condition and on the flip side, a neglected 97' HS Classic in need of a lot of bandaids.  Your best bet is to take care of the spa impecably and enjoy all it's offerings now, and when the time comes to repair and/or replace, weigh your options at that time.   ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 03:34:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42