What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Greenish Hue  (Read 3794 times)

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Greenish Hue
« on: June 11, 2005, 11:48:27 pm »
I need some advice from those in the know.

In the past 9 months I have not had any problems maintaining my water. Two weeks ago I did a full-water change, however when I finished re-filling the tub with fresh water, I noticed a greenish hue to the it. It was very subtle and at the time I was not too concerned.

Two weeks later and I just can't seem to get my water clear. All my levels check well. I have re-read many older posts that discuss this issue and have tried to rectify the situation on my own but without success.

I am on city water. While the quality of this water may fluctuate seasonally to some extent, I had always believed that if I could drink it, it was ok for the tub. I had always believed that our water (city) was pretty good. My question - could this be contributing to my troubles? My existing water care routine has not changed and it is only my wife and I in the tub. Has anyone else experienced this on some level or should I be looking elsewhere.

Thanks all - I appreciate the time

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Hot Tub Forum

Greenish Hue
« on: June 11, 2005, 11:48:27 pm »

autoplay

Re: Greenish Hue
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:33:21 am »
Every time I do a water change, I too have a slight tint of green water. I balance my water etc,and within 2 days,it's sparkling clear.  I have little clue as to what would cause the green water hue. I do know,that using various amounts of "lead" in glass,will give you lighter/darker green glass,dependant on the amount of lead in the glass.

Just sharing my experience with ya.  Chemical wise........

Calcium Hardness,190-230   ALk,90-120  PH,7.4-7.6  I use a Nature2 cartridge within my filter,and dose Di-chlor after water change,4-5 teaspoons,and after each use,2-3 teaspoons.  Bout every 7-10 days, I shock the spa.   Every 6 weeks I change the filter.  4-6 monthes I replace the Nature 2 cartridge.

GL with it,and if you figure out what and why causes the greenish hue,please share with us all.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 12:19:57 pm »
I'm considering another full-water change but I think that might be a little aggressive. I do not like the greenish hue but what if the water I use to replace is also greenish? Would be a big waste of water.

Before I do anything I would like to know that I've at least tried to understand the reason behind the problem in the first place.

Thanks auto

Jc

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 01:01:00 pm »
Every time I do a water change, I too have a slight tint of green water. I balance my water etc,and within 2 days,it's sparkling clear.  I have little clue as to what would cause the green water hue. I do know,that using various amounts of "lead" in glass,will give you lighter/darker green glass,dependant on the amount of lead in the glass.

Just sharing my experience with ya.  Chemical wise........

Calcium Hardness,190-230   ALk,90-120  PH,7.4-7.6  I use a Nature2 cartridge within my filter,and dose Di-chlor after water change,4-5 teaspoons,and after each use,2-3 teaspoons.  Bout every 7-10 days, I shock the spa.   Every 6 weeks I change the filter.  4-6 monthes I replace the Nature 2 cartridge.

GL with it,and if you figure out what and why causes the greenish hue,please share with us all.

I'm a little confused on the difference between di-chlor and MPS.

When you say after every use you throw in 2-3 teaspoons di-chlor... 7-10 days shock. Does shock mean just adding more di-chlor or sanatizer(mps)?

I'm a little confused on shock which I think is MPS and Di-chlor which I think is sanitizer?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 04:41:49 pm »
Are you guys using a stain and scale or metal gone?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 06:19:32 pm »
Two things.

Sometimes when 0 sanitizer is present with ozone and sanitizer is added, it can turn the water green/yellow. Itwill go away. Dont let your sanitizer reach 0.

Secondly, and this may sound silly, are their trees over the spa? The ocean/lake looks blue because it reflects the sky. Sometimes spa water looks green because it is reflecting the vegetation from above....

Homeworks Financing Representative

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 11:01:10 pm »
I do not have ozone. The water that is green is coming from the tap. I was curious if anyone was familiar with this phenomenon. I sense that it may be due to seasonal weather changes - not sure.  As for the tree, no - we're good that way. :) (but the thought had entered my mind when I first noticed)

Stuart - you mention stain, scale and metal. Up until now, these are words that I have quite ignored as I assumed they did not effect me. Now I'm not so sure. I have stuck to a  very basic KISS system that the dealer set us up with - floating bromine pucks (no ozone) and shock as necessary. This has worked flawlessly until just recently. I had thought that metal/stain etc were more for hard water/well water situations. Possibly you could fill me in or I could search on my own - either way -thanks for the input!

Jc

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 01:48:18 am »
Jc,
Try some stain and scale or metal gone at refill and you will probably get rid of this. I have found that 2 things cause a green tint....Mineral or organic. Usually if it is organic it will be a cloudy green and hard to see the bottom of the spa. If it is mineral the tint will be just water color with less particle.

If your getting a mineral tint use a sequestering agent like the two I mentioned. If it is organic you can usually cure it with a good shock and let the spa breath an hour or so...

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:56:34 am »
If it is organic you can usually cure it with a good shock and let the spa breath an hour or so...

If this STILL dosn't work, get one of the concentrated polymer clarifiers and dump about 5 caps in your spa while it's running. If anything is suspended in the water it will clump and come out. The polymer will take about 3 days to stop working, so don't be suprised if small bits of stuff still clump on the surface when you are using the spa after you treat it.

Good luck!

Drewski

8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 09:57:32 am by Drewski »
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:56:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42