What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tiger River Caspain Sanity Check...  (Read 2424 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Tiger River Caspain Sanity Check...
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:35:26 am »
Hi I've been lurking for a few weeks trying to digest all the infromation within this forum to help me buy my new hot tub.  This is a great site with a wealth of information.

I currently have an older,  very basic  Nordic Hot tub. It was given to me by a friend, who got it from a friend who I think got it from a friend....Let's just say it's old and has seen better days.  I've had it for a year, and it was a great learning experience. It allowed me for very little cost, to see a spa was right for me and my wife.

It is. It's time for a new tub.

Living in Central MA, I'm looking for a quality, year round outdoor tub, that has superior insulation qualities, low operating (electrical) costs and can fit 4-6 adults. Without breaking the proverbal bank.

I'm just about sold on the Tiger River Caspain tub. I'd like some feedback on other's experience and cost.

Here's the deal:
Caspain tub
Free delivery,
Cd Ozinator installed
Cover
Steps
Chem starter kit

$7650.

I like the tub.  I am led to belive this is a high quality tub by one of the best manufacttuers. I like the full foam insualtion.  And the (supposedly) efficent pumps  and heater.

I also like the foot pod.  On the wet tests, the foot pod sold me and my wife.

Originally Iwanted a lounger, but after speaking with a few folks, I am led to belive loungers loose thier novelty after a while and sculpted bucket seats seem prefered.

The warrently onf the Caspain is 7 on the shell, and 5 years on everything else, except the cabinet. Tiger River only has a 3 year warrenty on the cabinet. This seems to me, weak.

The warrenty also states that "weathering"  of the vinly cabinet may occur.  I'm concerned. I don't want my brown plasti-wood cabinet faded after a few years.....

I'd like to know your thoughts, expericences and advice before i make a committment.

Thanks,
Andy

07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

Tiger River Caspain Sanity Check...
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:35:26 am »

tappertee

Re: Tiger River Caspain Sanity Check...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:32:21 pm »
Andy,  
I've had my caspian tub for 5 months now.  I have had no problems with it.  I love the tub.  I also searched different tubs and liked this the best for the price range.  The foot jets are great as are all the other areas where you sit.  But the king's throne is the best.  When you sit in it , it feels like a lounger, so you won't miss one.  Also, 4 to 6 people are no problem. So far I see no problem with the vinyl cabinet.  It looks like it will last for the life of the tub.  Maybe not.  I think I made a good purchase and don't regret it.  
Being that there is no retail price to bargain from for tubs, one of the only products in the world that is like that, you have to look around.  But hot tub manufacturers usually have their areas that are covered by one dealer so you are stuck if you want somebody close to your house.  Best thing to do is call some dealers out of the area and see if they will give you a quote over the phone.  Then use that as ammunition when you talk to your local guy.  I used this technique and bought the tub with everything you got except the ozinator kit,  but I got a filter for the hose valued at $50.
I got everything including taxes for $6435.51.  But remember prices depend on the area, the time of year, and how big a commission the dealer wants to make.
Good Luck,
Tappertee  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 03:12:34 pm »
Thanks Tappertree. I appreciate your feedback. The price  I stated above includes MA sales tax (5%) as well as the CD ozinator and it's installation.  

Wondering if I could do better price wise? Maybe have the dealer throw in more chemicals or an extra filter?  ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 07:40:40 am »
We have had our Tiger River Caspian for almost 1 yr.  We are very happy with it.  We live in Michigan and our electric bill was the highest this winter of about $25 to run the the spa.  We paid $7100 with no ozone system.  There is alot of room and the foot jets are great.  I would recommend this spa to anyone.  Good Luck - Lynnette  :) :) :)e    

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 09:06:17 am »
Electrical costs are the biggest concern for me.  My current leaky, hand me down, 4 person, no frills tub cost me over $140 in Feburary alone to run.  :o That's the main reason we are upgrading, it was either that or no tub at all.

This tub was "given" to me free.  I've got $500 invested in electrical hook ups, another $200 on pavers and foundation and another $100 in chemicals (Bromide-which is causing rashes) and an *average* monthly electrical bill of $50.

You know, sometimes a free tub aint so free. Now, after 1 year, I've gotta break it down and get it out of my yard.

At least it was a good lesson in "what I don't want in a tub".

07 Caldera Geneva

tappertee

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 10:37:47 am »
Andy,
I will post pictures of my tub as soon as I can get my daughter to show how to do it.  I had a deck built and sunk the tub 1/4 of the way into the deck.  It looks great and is easy to get in and out of.  But it wasn't cheap.  The only drawback is that I can't use the cover lifter cause it would hit the deck.  But it's not a heavy cover to move by hand.  I just changed the water after 4 months and cleaned the filter, boy those jets were pumping last night.  You'll enjoy it,  just don't get caught playing footies with the neighbors wife.

Good Luck,
Tappertee

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 10:47:24 am »
 <i>"... just don't get caught playing footies with the neighbors wife."</I>

Are you speaking from experience? ;)

Pretty sure my mind is made up on the Caspain. I'll see if the dealer will toss in an extra filter, and see if I can get a "Cash" discount, if the dealer say's "no" on the cash discount, I'll just whip out my Amex Card.  Retailers cringe when I pay with that .
07 Caldera Geneva

Gman

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 06:59:27 pm »
I got the same tub with all of the same goodies - bought about a month ago, for a few hundred less (I live in MA also). Make him an offer or ask for extra chems and a filter.

I love the tub - I'm going to jump in it in a few minutes.

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:03:10 pm »
I seriously considered the tiger river caspian when we were spa shopping a few weeks ago.  We were quoted a price of $6500 with all the options that you are getting.  This price was about $1000 lower than the price displayed on the spa.  It is quite possible that we could have negotiated a slightly better deal.  

We ended up buying a Sundance Majesta with an identical setup plus an extra filter for $7000.  We also were able to get a factory installed stereo for $500.  

In the end we chose the Majesta because I really liked the foot well jets, and my wife liked the waterfall in the Majesta better than the one on the Caspian.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:03:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42