What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub height question??  (Read 7737 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Hot tub height question??
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:25:33 am »
Well, due to my stupidity (I did measure everything more than 5 times before starting this deck project), the tub is going to be sitting 23 inches off the completed main deck instead of 18 like I wanted. ???
The ground where I did my measurements (the only place where I had a "deck") is lower than where I placed the tub!

Do you guys see a problem with this height?

I figured if I can't step into the tub, I could sit on the edge and straddle the tub to get in as mentioned by someone here before.

Any and all comments are appreciated (OK even about my stupidity)!

Thanks!

Vinny

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub height question??
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:25:33 am »

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
Re: Hot tub height question??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 07:26:13 pm »
Vinny, elucidate me... :)  Why does five inches more matter so much?  Is it a problem to lift your leg up or something? (Seriously, I'm not joking, I don't know.)  We had a spa recessed into a deck so that about only four inches showed, but that turned out to be a pain for service and the like.  I'd not do that again.
--
Lee

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 07:42:58 pm »
Vinny, focus on the Hot Water coming soon.

The end result and outcome will work real good for you.  Remeber the main objective was to not have it 38" off the walking surface.  The 7" difference should not be a problem and will make service acces easier as well, that will put the spa 15" down and the cover lifter will work better as well.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 08:26:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

Vinny, elucidate me... :)  Why does five inches more matter so much?  Is it a problem to lift your leg up or something? (Seriously, I'm not joking, I don't know.)  We had a spa recessed into a deck so that about only four inches showed, but that turned out to be a pain for service and the like.  I'd not do that again.

At this point in my life it's not a concern, but this is a once in a lifetime purchase and at 46 I'm thinking about the future.

As I was shopping for the tub, a sales person suggested not to sink it all the way into the deck - it would make it harder  to get out and 18" is half way up the tub.

[quote J._McD]

The end result and outcome will work real good for you.  Remeber the main objective was to not have it 38" off the walking surface.  The 7" difference should not be a problem and will make service acces easier as well, that will put the spa 15" down and the cover lifter will work better as well.

[/quote]

My concern was/is to be able to comfortably get into the tub - yes the reason for sinking it is to not use a step (also the tub at full height would be higher than the bottom of my kitchen window) and I guess this is still being achieved!

The main deck will have a trap door to get to the electronics and pumps (it's amazing how much space is taken up by the 2x10's - beam and joists). HOPEFULLY I won't get a leaker! - LOL.

Thanks again!

Vinny

Soakin

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 01:37:36 pm »
...a sales person suggested not to sink it all the way into the deck - it would make it harder  to get out and 18" is half way up the tub...

I remember seeing a post here awhile ago that made a lot of sense to me -- it suggested having your deck (or step) close to the same height of the surface inside the tub that you will be stepping on to get in or out.  Doing so will make it easy to keep your balance, and all you are having to do is swing your leg up and over, rather than lifting/lowering your body if the surfaces are uneven.  

I just checked, and on our tub, the steps are 13" high, which leaves about 25" to clear the lip.  The seat that we enter the tub on is 22" down from the lip.  That works well, most people step over, no problem.  If necessary, people just sit on the lip and swing their legs over, also no problem.  I think you'll be fine, but since you are planning for your "golden years", how about building a step out of your left over deck materials, just in case? ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 07:48:59 pm by Soakin »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:08:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Not having the tub or ever being in a "portable tub" other than when I purchased it, I'm working with what I think will work in my mind. I believe the seats where we would get in are 23" below  and 27" below the tub's rim, if I remember correctly, so I'm hoping for a easy step in. I thought I remembered the steps at the store being 11" to 14" high, so 13" is probably what they were.

As far as the step, that will be a consideration when the main deck gets built. I will have plenty of scrap decking from my 8x8 hole in the deck! I may just store some as I'm going to be using Timbertech T & G decking for the main deck so I can match it up later.

Thanks again!

Vinny

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:08:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42