What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: power hookup for sundance maxxus  (Read 5534 times)

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
power hookup for sundance maxxus
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:06:13 am »
just purchased sundance maxxus. was told need 60 amp gfi breaker. most spa units at the home centers max out at 50 amp gfi  breaker. i had electric wired with 60 amp breaker at main panel and a 50 amp gfi breaker at tub subpanel. is this adequate or should i replace with a 60 amp gfi breaker? want it right before tub delivered.

ed

Hot Tub Forum

power hookup for sundance maxxus
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:06:13 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: power hookup for sundance maxxus
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 01:13:44 am »
You can use either one.  At the 60 amp setting, you can run any two pumps and the heater will still come on.
You can't run all three pumps and the heater, though.
At 50 amps, the heater will not come on if you have two pumps running.
Your choice. The spa comes preset for 60 amps, if you go 50, be sure to tell your dealer to set the jumper to 50 amps.  
If you use a 50 amp breaker on the spa when it's set to run at 60, you risk popping your breaker if you try running two pumps at once, and the heater kicks on.
Could be annoying.
Brewman
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 01:15:37 am by Brewman »
Brewman

dentlfly

• maxxus owner
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 01:40:24 am »
as i read your post, no set-up will allow full power of all pumps and heater. sounds like i need to change out 50 to 60 amp gfi breaker at spa subpanel.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 02:11:31 am »
You are correct.  You won't be able to run all three pumps at once and the heater.  
Brewman
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:55:55 am »
It would be silly to pay the cost of a Maxxus and not run it on 60 amps ....

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 08:08:40 am »
Got to run 60amps. Check out Sundance's website as you can download the manual for the Maxxus. They clearly recommend 60amps to be run for the Maxxus. Enjoy the spa............ ;D

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 10:10:01 am »
I added elsewhere to an old similar post about this topic...  The issue is really that the NEC code says that circuits can't run at more than 80% of rated capacity.  

So, the Max's 60A circuit you have to give it is really (for use) only 48A, and that's what the three pumps or two pumps + heater is using.  I thought it was a bit limiting also, but you could say that a heater is (guessing) 30A and the pumps 10A each, and get there easily.  If there wasn't the 80% limit, you could run everything, of course.  I was a bit upset, also, but unless you have the spa *filled* with people, would you really have all three pumps running at the same time?  I dunno.

(It seems like the Max is hitting the top of current electrical hardware, since the other 800 series SD models (with two pumps, of course) can run everything at the same time.  I guess 60A is some sort of practical limit for either GFCI breakers or cabling (from what little I know).)

I'd definitely read both manuals (preinstall and users' guide) before signing on the bottom line, since the main manual tells you a *ton* of stuff about what options you have for jets/pumps/air/options, etc.

BTW, as a long-time computer software and documentation writer, I'm impressed by a company that (1) has excellent documentation like this *and* (2) makes it available to anyone on the web presales!
--
Lee

samhunter

• Maxxus, Johnny walker black, Padron aniversario!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 12:16:44 pm »
I was a bit concerned about not having the heater on while the 3 pumps were running. I thought the water temp would drop quickly, but because of its large size mine drops only about 1 degree after 1 1/2 hours w/ 4 people in it.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 01:46:23 pm »
Running the pumps will help heat the water.  We don't notice much temperature decrease in our Optima when both pumps are running.  The heater seldome comes on during this time, except in the cold months in winter.
Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 05:18:33 pm »
So, the Max's 60A circuit you have to give it is really (for use) only 48A, and that's what the three pumps or two pumps + heater is using.  

You should give any motor load 125% of it's running "full load amp" rating, to take in consideration the extra start up amp draw.

So 48 amps x 125% (1.25) = 60 amps. The circuit break will have a built in time delay for overload protection, but turning three pumps on at once is pushing it.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 07:44:19 pm »
Right, so I guess that's where the NEC gets the '80% max (sustained) load for a circuit'.  Does make sense after all; thanks!
--
Lee

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 12:37:16 am »
Brewman, did you install a 60A breaker with the Optima?  The manual states that you can't run both pumps and the heater with a 50A circuit.  The spa is shipped from the factory to run on 50A.  This seems lame for a 9K spa?  What's the downside to running 60A? Are all other spas setup this way?

Running the pumps will help heat the water.  We don't notice much temperature decrease in our Optima when both pumps are running.  The heater seldome comes on during this time, except in the cold months in winter.
Brewman

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 08:00:39 am »
I did install the 60 amp breaker on the Optima.  It's an extremely simple thing for the installers to move the jumper to allow 60 amps.  That way the heat does come on anytime, even when both pumps are on full speed.
It's really not lame at all, IMHO.  It's more common for spas to run at 50 amps than 60, and it only takes about 3 seconds to change it for 60.  
As far as I can tell, there is no downside to running at 60 amps, other than any extra costs associated with a 60 amp GFI breaker vs a 50 amp one.  In my case the 60 amp breaker was cheaper than the same brand/series 50 amp by about $15.  
The 60 amp breakers are not as common as the 50's, so that may be a factor.  
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 08:00:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42