What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water slightly cloudy using Dichlor  (Read 3817 times)

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
Water slightly cloudy using Dichlor
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:03:18 am »
I have been using diclor (Bio brand) after each soak (1 1/2 caps), and shocking weekly (5 caps) with diclor. The chlorine level the next eveing after the weekly shocks is still very high and takes two days to come back down. I try to keep the chlorine about 3-5ppm, but after the shock, it is about 10ppm or more for 2 days. Is this up and down level ok? I have a HS Envoy with ozone. My water has never been crystal clear it always has a little cloudy look, not bad, just a little bit cloudy. I went to my dealer and could see the difference in their water in thier wet tubs. I took water for a a test and she said my free chlorine was not high enough above the combined Chlorine and had me do a triple shock (15 caps). The Chlorine level was very high for 4 days and the water is still the same after 7 days.  Would using a different method of shock help? Should I try to use a Nature 2 system? The tub is used by myself and wife 5-6 times per week for 30-45min before bed. This is my 1st tub and is about 6 weeks old.  I want  CRYSTAL clear water!!  Is it possible? Is the stores water better because it is not soaked in every day?  Any advice would be appericated.

Hot Tub Forum

Water slightly cloudy using Dichlor
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:03:18 am »

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Re: Water slightly cloudy using Dichlor
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 12:18:13 pm »
That seems like a TON of chemicals to me.  I use our Jacuzzi J-355 2-3 times per week.  I add 15 grams of Dichlor after each usage, but  I don't add if we're not in the tub.  (I do add if it's been a few days).

Let your ozonator and a bit of dichlor do it's job.  It may be that you have over chem'd the tub, and may need to drain, but get your dealer to do a test on the TDS (total disolved solids) to see if it's "locked".

I had a situation like that a few months ago, where I was using bromine, and trying to get the levels up, and had to add a lot of chemicals.  Eventually, the TDS was too high, and the water just wouldn't react anymore.  

Again, I always feel that less is more in terms of chemicals.  You can always add, but it's very difficult to bring the TDS down.

Also, for future, it would be very helpful to know how many grams or ml's of chemicals you're using, as capfuls vary in size.

Thanks and good luck.

Mark

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:37:33 pm »
TDS was at 1200 dealer checked   ..and a capful is 1/2 tblspoon.    Thanks

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 12:41:01 pm »
According to "Chas' Law," you are two weeks late for your first water change.

Power off,
Drain tub,
Rinse filter thoroughly,
Refill,
Power on,
Balance pH and TA
Heat,
Add people.

I have found that doing a water change at around the first month helps all manner of chem-related problems.

Give it a try.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:03:24 pm »
It sounds to me like you are using waaaay too much dichlor.  In a situation like yours, you need to get the base water treatment right and then go from there.  I would suggest that you start by dumping your water and starting from scratch.  Try to get a list of start chemicals from your dealer or water chemistry store.  They should check a sample of your tap water to develop a regime for treatment.  Your HS dealer should have given you a water prefilter, if not ask for it.  Take a sample of the water from it for the dealer to test as a start point.  Basically you need to buffer your water first by getting the alkalinity right.  Then add the dichlor to the buffered water.

You might want to switch to a non-chorine shock if you continue to experience high ppm of total chlorine.  Ideally you want 3 or so ppm of free chlorine and zero ppm of combined chlorine.  This is a goal but it is an elusive one.  I was having the same problem with very high chlorine for too many days in my Envoy.  My dealer suggested a switch to non-chlorine shock with good results although this stuff does increase TDS and in consequence forces more frequent water changes.  My dealer has analyzed my water weekly and changing every 60 days or so has been the pattern for me.  My spa gets used daily at least once in South Florida.

Regards,

Bill

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:46:07 pm »
I did take water to the dealer before the first fill and that is what she said to do, anything that has been added to the water has been direct instructions from the HS dealer

shabba34

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:51:55 pm »
I did take water to the dealer before the first fill and that is what she said to do, anything that has been added to the water has been direct instructions from the HS dealer

It takes about 2 months for the new tri-x filters to "cake".  Kinda like breakin in a new engine.  When you drain the spa and perform your first filter clean, you will notice much clearer water.     8)

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 02:33:33 pm »
My dealer never said anything like that?? ???

shabba34

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 01:45:28 pm »
My dealer never said anything like that?? ???

Maybe he does not have control of the force like I 8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 01:45:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42