What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Big Box store chems - revisited  (Read 3378 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Big Box store chems - revisited
« on: May 10, 2005, 08:06:54 pm »
I posted this on Doc's site and thought I would post here as well.

Just an FYI to people that go to the Big stores to buy their Chems. Just came back from a **mart store and they sell HTH chems. I was passing that isle and took a look.

Their "spa chlorine" is calcium hypo at 47% (I thought we weren't supposed to use anything other than dichlor chlorine!) and their non - chlorine shock (with salt?) was at a low % also. And they were at a premium price!

Anyway, my point is - don't waste your time going to those places - buy either from Doc or you local dealer. I can just imagine buying a "spa chlorine" and having scale or other problems as the calcium builds up or using a whole bottle of shock to help get the water clean - no one there is going to be able to help you!

Just my 2 cents!

Hot Tub Forum

Big Box store chems - revisited
« on: May 10, 2005, 08:06:54 pm »

Cola

• Time for bed kids
Re: Big Box store chems - revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 09:33:00 pm »
Thanks man
good to know.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:56:59 pm »
Great info.. :D :D :D

fletch49

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 06:56:00 am »
I had a look as well. I looked a few big box stores in Ontario and found it would actually cost me more to shop at ***mart for my supplies because they don't offer the larger, bulk sizes which my dealer slightly discounts. The standard size was about the same price as the dealer but I wouldn't be getting that volume discount, as well as the product knowledge and ability to analyze your water that the dealers provide.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:18:08 am »
I get my ph and alk adjustment chemicals at a big box.  They sell #6 lb containers for just a bit more than my dealer sells their 22 oz. bottles, and according to the ingredients, they are the same.
I get my other chemicals from the dealers.
Brewman
Brewman

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:34:33 am »
As much as I like to frequent Doc's online store (my credit card hasn't been the same  ;D), there is a place for local dealers and big box stores in my chem purchasing routine.  For dichlor, only Doc's AllClear in 5# container is my choice.  If I am ordering some AllClear from him, I'll also stock up on a few other things but in between, if I need soda ash or defoamer or MPS, I'll frequent my local dealer, Pinch-A-Penny, Lowe's, Walmart, Ace Hardware, etc.  All chems are plainly marked with ingredients and, if not plainly marked, they are not considered for purchase.  Soda ash is soda ash....sodium bicarb is sodium bicarb....no matter where you buy it (Winn-Dixie or Publix is my fave for baking soda anyway....my lovely wife keeps plenty on hand).  So, IMHO, it is definitely a "best practice" to include big box and local dealers as well as our fave Doc's online store in chem purchasing routines.  (BTW, HTH defoamer from Ace Hardware is very effective in the spritzer bottle cut with water 50/50.)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:25:12 am »
I really am refering to the "specialty chems" that you need - dichlor and non chlorine shock. I also buy from cheaper local sources. I use Arm and Hammer baking soda and Borax for PH up in my pool. The amount of money for the pool versions are too high even in the big box stores. I probably will buy some chems from the big box stores if they're cheap enough.

I have to say, I have found Leslies pool supplies cheaper for pool chlorine during a sale than anyone - I bought a 40 lb container of Cal Hypo for $65 and it lasts for about 2 pool seasons. I do have to watch to make sure my calcium doesn't go too high.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 12:01:55 pm by Vinny »

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 11:30:11 am »
Good Point. I don't buy anything for my spa from those stores.  I go to my dealer to get everyting I need this way I know I am getting good quality chems. Now all I need is to pick up a good quality spa in the next year or so. ::)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 06:04:12 pm »
Just a note to Vinny -

Be sure to add up all your costs: Cal Hypo has a high pH. I think it's around 12.8, but I have been out of pool service for several seasons now...

As a result, you have to add (or should add) some acid or other pH-reducing chem. So if you add the two together, you may find it cheaper to use another type of chlorine.

I know for sure that Liquid Cal Hypo is almost 13 pH, so you have to add one quart of acid for every gallon of liquid chlorine you add.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 09:08:04 pm »
Chas,

Thanks for the warning!

I won't be using anything other than dichlor in my spa when I finally get it. I do use cal hypo in my pool and do watch my PH and calcium in it. Actually as a result of using cal hypo my calcium level was getting to the point that I needed to drain some - then the winter closing came (lowered the water) so I'll see what happens to the calcium when I open the pool.

My post was basically to tell people that all spa chemicals are not alike!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:08:58 pm by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 09:08:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42