What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: extremely overwhelmed..need good advice  (Read 3947 times)

IRA

extremely overwhelmed..need good advice
« on: April 29, 2005, 04:33:26 pm »
started the hot tub search 2 weeks ago. I have two questions... Each store I go to claims they have the best tub. I want to use my tub 52 weeks a year and live in NY. Can anyone recommend some of the best tubs>>
#2) if I didnt want to spend 7,000-10,000 dollars, are there any tubs that are priced well and are good and reliable?
thanks

Hot Tub Forum

extremely overwhelmed..need good advice
« on: April 29, 2005, 04:33:26 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: extremely overwhelmed..need good advice
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 06:32:26 pm »
Wow, it seems like just yesterday that I was in your shoes.  I spent honestly about 8 to 10 months looking and researching hot tubs.

Here is what I have learned in the past year of researching.

1.  Do not limit your choice to just one brand name.  Look at everything you can.

2.  Your not just buying a tub, your ensuring that you have great customer and technical support.  Make sure that your dealer of choice is close by and has a good rapor with their customers.

3. Narrow down your choices.  Wet test, Wet Test, Wet Test.  Make sure that you get your bathing suit on and test each and every tub.  You will not believe just how different each tub feels when you are in them with water.

4.  Educate yourself.  I have been reading forums like this one and Doc's forum and reading reviews of tubs from other members and I have learned the good the bad and the ugly of each brand.

5.  Cost.  Find out how much this bad boy is going to cost you out the door and monthly costs.

That is what I suggest you do to start out.   As you go along ask questions on this forum.  People in here are great and they teach you so much.

I do not know local dealers in your area but you will learn quickly that there are several brands that really stand out on this board.

I would encourage you to check out Sundance, hot springs, D-1, Arctic spas (my fav), ah hell check them all out.  There is so many great tubs out there.  Everytime someone posted a question about a certain tub, I went to the website and looked at it.  Thats how I started to build my knowledge.

This industry is very competitive and you need to remember that it is a business.  Every dealer will tell you that they are the best and all the others are inferior products.  At the end of the day you will select a tub based on what feels good for you and your needs.  

I hope this helps you out a bit, but as you will quickly see, everyone will tell you what they feel is the best tub, but that is the best tub for them.  It is really an impossible question to answer.  

Good Luck and enjoy your homework, it will make it so much more special when you enjoy your first soak in your backyard.

:D

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 06:52:50 pm »
Do you think that most of the time it will be 1 or 2 people in your spa.... what is your budget .....do you want to run it off of 110 or 220.... You can get spas from Marquis....Hot Springs....Sun Dance....Artsiean.... and others all for less than 7000.00 ...If it were me I would opt for a smaller spa that is well made and well backed rather than getting caught with number of jets and the old bigger is better......if you get one that is seats four that means it will work very well for 2 and those times that you have friends over it will also accommodate them...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 09:45:16 am »
OTher advice, take your time, make your indecision work for you.  Let dealers know your serious, everyone get's lookey-Lous.  Don't bow to pressure, make sure they know you are looking several places and the offers will come.  The ones who berate you for considering that other guy, run away!

The dealer makes a lot of difference too, ask your local friends/relatives.  If we could absolutely recommend the best spa, the dealer in your area could be a bumm.  But there is more than one great spa, so feel free to shop around, take notes, don't become overwhelmed. Ask lots of questions even if you know the answer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 10:52:53 am »
Shop with an open mind.  If your budget is $4000 and you fall in love with one for $7000, well, that a $3000 decision.

Don't get "sucked in" on a bargain.  If it's a good deal today, it will be a good deal tomarrow.

It is kinda like your first house.  Buy a quality product and a good dealer.  For a little more $ you will get something you will enjoy for 12-15 years or even longer.

At the lower end of the price scale you can possibly run in to more problems than you can expect and a shorter life expectancy of the tub.   Then when you buy your second tub in 5 years you can chalk that up to the price we pay for education.

Look at what is said to be the best, shop the rest, spread the cards face up on the table and narrow it down to 2 of your best choices and WET TEST.

You are buying 2 things.  1) the product  2) the dealer relationship
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 10:54:03 am by J._McD »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 06:00:24 pm »
Don't get "sucked in" on a bargain.  If it's a good deal today, it will be a good deal tomarrow.

Excellent point.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 11:14:12 pm »
Every dealer HAS the best tub  ... to them. There is no such beast! What to look for is the BEST TUB FOR YOU.

Look at the features you want and see how you like the dealer. Think about the price - can you afford it now and how much it will cost you later, remember if it's $500 more and you save $20 a month, it'll pay for itself.

You're getting good advice. Since price sounds like it may be an issue (it was for me),  look at the secondary lines from manufacturers - you definitely can get a tub under $7,000 from some (all?) manufacturers this way.

Good luck!

RTex

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 11:27:00 pm »
No one mentions LA Spas.  They have a very nice spa in the Heet for quoted around $7K with extras, and without any negotiating here in NJ.  I haven't read or heard too much bad about LA.  Any of you in the business have opinions pro or con about LA? (Note.  Prospective spa buyer, NOT in the SPA business).

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 12:16:00 am »
Most of the big name spa companies also produce an "economy line" that might fit your needs. For instance Master spas has the "Down East" line. Sundance has the Sweetwater line. If it were me, I'd rather buy a better quility tub with less features than a cheaper one with bells and whistles. Besides usually the better name brand tubs are sold and serviced by the better dealers. Stick with the major players you won't be sorry. Also something to consider. You probably will be keeping your tub for 10 years or so, so based upon that 8k isn't bad. (That's less than 1k a year).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 12:16:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42