What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Combining chlorine and bromide  (Read 42598 times)

cathtrac

• Hot-tub water doggie
Combining chlorine and bromide
« on: April 24, 2005, 09:33:49 pm »
We've always used chlorine granules and chlorine shock o our tub. We have started to add a bromine salt after each use and are thinking of using a bromine floater as well.

Can we still use the chlorine shock with the bromine floater? We want to discontinue use of the chlorine granules but not drain the tub since we just did this about 4 weeks ago.

PS--this is a heavy use tub in a vacation rental. We are still trying to figure out the best plan for maintaining the tub.

As always, thanks for the help.

Hot Tub Forum

Combining chlorine and bromide
« on: April 24, 2005, 09:33:49 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Combining chlorine and bromide
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 09:06:09 am »
You should have no problems shocking with dichlor even if you're using a bromine floater.  
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 10:47:33 am »
I think you might want to reconsider.  Chlorine and bromine can react dangerously with each other particularly in their granular state.  If you check with any of the chemical companies I believe they would advise you to use one or the other, but not both.

Regards,

Bill

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:28:10 pm »
bulmer is correct.  You can add chlorine to a bromine tub.  Heck, bromine tabs contain chlorine.  Before non chlorine shock, all they had was chlorine to shock.  Adding chlorine (dichlor) to a bromine tub will reactivate your bromine.

You don't want to add bromine to a chlorine tub unless you want...a bromine tub.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 09:22:18 pm »
>Chlorine and Bromine are in the chemical family known as Halogens. They are powerful oxidizers, which means they literally burn up organic matter in the water.  Outside of water they need to be handled with care.  Bromine and chlorine should never be stored where they may come in contact with each other as a chemical reaction can occur which could cause a fire.  They should never be mixed together in a dry container. Bromine and chlorine should never be switched in the same feeder. Even though empty, these feeders have residue which could react.<

For the rest of the story go to www.rhtubs.com.

Regards,

Bill

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 09:53:33 am »
Yet adding them separately to the water is just fine.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

cathtrac

• Hot-tub water doggie
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:15 pm »
Thanks!!

:)

shabba34

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 04:34:50 pm »
Tony and Bulmer are right on.  Di-chlor can be used in lew(spelling :)) of a non-chlor shock, to re-activate the stagnant bromides hanging out in the water, turning them back into their active hypo-bromic acid state.  This way you are assured of having the most sanitized spa in the woooorrrrrlllld ;)

Soakin

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 02:30:14 pm »
We have started to add a bromine salt after each use and are thinking of using a bromine floater as well.

PS--this is a heavy use tub in a vacation rental. We are still trying to figure out the best plan for maintaining the tub.

I think Spa Frog makes a combination floater that holds a mineral cartridge and bromine.  That might be a good solution.

txwillie

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 06:20:01 pm »
I use the Spa Frog inline bromine cartridges and have been shocking with MPS. Need to buy shock and was planning to try dichlor this time. Do I need to have clorine test strips as well as bromine test strips if I shock with dichlor?

txwillie

txwillie

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 10:24:58 am »
I use the Spa Frog inline bromine cartridges and have been shocking with MPS. Need to buy shock and was planning to try dichlor this time. Do I need to have clorine test strips as well as bromine test strips if I shock with dichlor?

I guess this is a dumb question? I've also read that when shocking with dichlor, it takes longer for the residual chlorine or bromine levels to fall to where you can use the tub. How long? A few hours? a day? longer?

txwillie

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 11:30:49 am »
I guess this is a dumb question? I've also read that when shocking with dichlor, it takes longer for the residual chlorine or bromine levels to fall to where you can use the tub. How long? A few hours? a day? longer?

txwillie

We shock with dichlor after use in the evening (usually 11pm or so) and it's fine by the next evening.  We typically don't shock on Friday or Saturday as we may want to go in first thing in the morning on the weekend and the levels might be a bit high.  That's why we usually shock on a night where we know that we'll be at work the next day.  When I check the levels after getting home from work it's usually around 3ppm.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 11:30:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42