What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What are the code requirements???  (Read 2772 times)

Sunny

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
What are the code requirements???
« on: April 22, 2005, 12:10:04 pm »
I have ordered my Caldera Niagara (yippee!!).  I am in New York state.  My licensed electrician will handle the electrical code requirements & will arrange for inspection.

I also need a building permit & I am told my tub will need to comply with New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code.  There are no other local code requirements according to my building inspector.
When I asked the building inspector what the NYS requirements are he said my dealer should know.  (Apparently this “secret” document is copyrighted & not available online).  When I asked my dealer he said my Caldera tub meets ASTM standards for locking covers and there should be no problem.

I called the state & am awaiting a callback.  I’ve done some preliminary web searches for more details about all code requirements.  I’m a bit concerned because I’ve seen references to other possible requirements on this & another message board.

Here’s my question:
How can I know before I pour concrete what all the code requirements are for my hot tub?  I don’t want to miss something that will cost me money & time.  Am I being too cautious?  I feel like the building inspector should be more helpful, but that’s wishful thinking if you know what I mean.  But I do think I need to push him to give me a list – basically he’s saying he’ll be inspecting my tub for compliance but he won’t tell me what he’ll be checking for.
Any ideas would be sincerely appreciate!

Hot Tub Forum

What are the code requirements???
« on: April 22, 2005, 12:10:04 pm »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Re: What are the code requirements???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 12:45:52 pm »
You are right to be cautious and prudent to find out the requirements prior to installation.  If you go to Caldera's website you can download a copy of the owners manual.  You will find the electrical requirements clearly delineated there.  These reflect what is in NFPA 77, The National Electrical Code.  You should apply for a permit to install the spa with your local building commission.  I would take a copy of the owners manual with you when you go to get the permit and ask them if there are any additional requirements beyond those in the National Code.  I believe you will find that there are not, but it does not hurt to ask.

Finally, be your own inspector.  Make sure the electrician does EXACTLY what is called for in the owners manual.  In that way you should have no trouble with the building inspector.

Regards,

Bill  

Sunny

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 01:46:11 pm »
I feel confident that the electrical code requirements will be met because the electrician will be handling that.

What I don't feel confident about are any other requirements that are included in the NY State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code?  For example, the locking cover is required.  But, are there other items such as minimum distance from house, etc.?

Thanks,
Sunny

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 02:24:00 pm »
Go to the library and ask to see the BOCA code book. In there there is the national codes for swimming pool and hot tubs. Sometimes, a township might consider a tub a small swimming pool (the BOCA codes define what is considered a swimming pool), I almost had that with my Land Use department. but luckily the head of the department was there and said "it's a hot tub". I'm still waiting for the township to approve the plans for the deck and hot tub.

Also, when you apply for the permit, some townships will give you copy of the requirements their looking for. Unfortunately pools and hot tubs do fall under the building codes. I did call the head inspector of my township before applying because EVERY electrician told me something different on what I needed to pass code, maybe you can do the same to get it clear on what you need.

Possibly, all that is needed is as Bill said - a locking cover and also a disconnect is needed to stop the spa in an emergency.

Good Luck!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 03:14:13 pm »
KEEP IN MIND, that besides the national building and electrical codes, local municipalities have the right to ad their OWN codes, or modify existing national codes.

I can't even begin to count the areas near me that in following ONLY the national codes you would fail an inspection.

When it comes to building inspectors, remember, something like 90% of them were previously licensed contractors, that went bankrupt
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 04:46:24 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 03:14:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42