What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Micro-CLEAN filter  (Read 3954 times)

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Micro-CLEAN filter
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:46:01 am »
My local Sundance dealer is out of Micro-CLEAN filters.  I just changed my water.   I was looking at another filter that looks like it could replace the whole filter cartridge (both regular and Micro-CLEAN filter together).  I would have to buy two as I like to swap the filters out once a month.  That way I can let the dirty filter soak until I get around to cleaning it.  Not sure if this would be a good way to go or not.  What do you think?  If I stay with the Micro-CLEAN filter I will have to run without a filter until that get some in.  Would cost around $100 to buy 2 filters where the Micro-CLEAN filters cost around $15 each and last about 3 months.  Also I used swirl away for the first time.  I had foam about four feet over the water line spilling over the tub while using it.  Is this normal.  I went ahead and refilled tub and drained it again to make sure it was flushed.

Hot Tub Forum

Micro-CLEAN filter
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:46:01 am »

Tubber

Re: Micro-CLEAN filter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 07:56:18 am »
Yes you can use the regular 125 sq filter pleated filter that comes in a Sweetwater.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 08:20:17 am »
Well still waiting on micro clean filters.  I have  been runing the spa for almost 2 weeks with no micro filter.  Still un-sure about switching to the big pleated filter.  The cost was more than I thought.  $75.  Has anybody done this?  If so can you tell any diffenance in water clarity?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:15:38 pm »
I buy microfilters several at a time, since our dealer seems to run out of them at time.  I usually keep at least one "in stock" so when I change water, I don't have to run one down.  Not that this helps you right now.

The regular pleater filter costs about $60 for our Optima, last I remember.  The micros go for about $15 each, so $75 for a re-usable combo is right there in the ballpark, and will eventually save you a minor amount of money not having to buy microfilters.  But you'd probably want 2 pleater filters, so you'd be looking at an upfront expense of $150.

The microfilter is tighter than a pleated filter, but not sure what they'd catch that a pleated wouldn't.
Your choice on which way to go.
Brewman
Brewman

Tubber

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 01:47:52 pm »
The difference between having a pleated filter and the micro is the pleated will require you to use a flocculant just like every other spa manufacturer does.  Your micro will clog up faster if you use a flocculant thus putting more pressure on the pumps.

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 02:43:41 pm »
Wrong Tubber. I've used a pleated filter for a long time and have yet to purchase a flocculant agent as you suggest. Is that really the selling pitch? I suggest coming up with something more realistic. ::)
Hope you aren't repping a filter company.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:45:27 pm by Bubbles »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 02:48:22 pm »
I have the micro filter and a pleated working side by side.  One filters thru the circ pump(micro) and the other filters thru the main 2 speed pump.  So if I used a floculent, that would clog my micro?  I don't use a floculent, so does that mean my pleated filter isn't working?  
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 03:28:06 pm »
Floculant should only be used as needed, and not everyone needs it regardless of what type of filter they have.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 09:50:31 pm »
First let me say I do not own stock nor do I have any financial interest in "Sea Klear"........ ;D....Since I have recommended them before.....I just have to say I am finding less and less of a need for a filter cleaner when  using the "Sea Klear" clarifier ....Filters simply rinse clean and I am thinking that it might be realistic to only have to use a filter cleaner perhaps on a annual or semi annual basis ...it really makes cleaning a breeze.....

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 10:36:16 pm »
Sea klear is good.  The pleated filter is good.  The micro filter captures more particles and you need to replace it.  It also is good.  You can also use a fully pleated filter for the initial fill if you are on well water and then switch to the micro after you get the heavy matter out and then run with the micro clean filter.

It's all about your water quality.  Assuming you have an ozonator, you should have long term, good quality water with very little of your time or attention.  The system works very good.

poolboy34

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 10:53:58 pm »
Clarifiers are good, but IF you are using a mineral sanitizer such as Vision, Nature 2(and all of the "Branded" names of it), or Spa Frog you should not use them.  Clarifiers take minerls and metals out of the water............thus if you are using a mineral stick/pack the clarifier will strip the minerals out of them rendering them useless.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 12:54:25 am »
Clarifiers are good, but IF you are using a mineral sanitizer such as Vision, Nature 2(and all of the "Branded" names of it), or Spa Frog you should not use them.  Clarifiers take minerls and metals out of the water............thus if you are using a mineral stick/pack the clarifier will strip the minerals out of them rendering them useless.

After you mentioning this once before...I checked with the makers of Sea Klear and they say absolutely not...It may be because theirs  all organic made from shell causations ... like shrimp and crab...if you have the time give them a call ....whos knows in the end you may be right or....you may be able to offer something you were unaware of before....if you need a number let me know....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 12:55:49 am by Mendocino101 »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 04:44:31 pm »
A quick follow up....After again checking with the folks at Sea Klear they assured me that it works fine with mineral cartridges and that before the makers of nature 2 changed owners, it was actually recommend by them....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 04:45:51 pm by Mendocino101 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 04:44:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42