What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Comments on Sundance 2005 new filtration???  (Read 4405 times)

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Comments on Sundance 2005 new filtration???
« on: March 22, 2005, 09:32:27 am »
Anyone have comments on the new filtration system in the 2005 Sundance Optimas and others?  They are utilizing a disposable filter that lasts at a minimum 6 months.  This does away from having to acid wash the filters...you just replace the filter for about $100 every 6 to 8 months so the dealer says....

Thanks for the inputs.

Regards,

:)

Hot Tub Forum

Comments on Sundance 2005 new filtration???
« on: March 22, 2005, 09:32:27 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Comments on Sundance 2005 new filtration???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 10:54:41 am »
They are using a high flow circ pump to handle the filtration.  You also have the option of using a pleated filter.  I have no problems with the old style micro filter.  The new one seems pretty interesting.  If you don't like it, just switch.

Guttboy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 11:18:27 am »
Tony....do you happen to have a diagram of how this works...the sundance site does not and I still cant quite get a grasp on how this is handled.  I am assuming that the water flows over the filter, then a recirc pump just keeps the water flowing in the tub so that there is some constant water circulation within the tub.  Also...there has to be intakes at the bottom for general circulation but those do not pass over the filter.

Does that make sense?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 12:19:13 pm »
That is pretty much how it works.  Sundance now uses a high flow circ pump to handle all of the filtering through the new filter in the 880 series spas.  This is different than the 850 system and different than the 700 series (sweetwater) spas where a low flow circ pump would draw from one side (the small micro filter) and the two speed pump would draw from the other side (the pleated filter).  The new system draws from both sides of the filter.

The two main pumps draw from the intakes in the footwell.  All your jets run from these pumps.  The heater, ozonator and water features (auqa-whatever) work through the circ pump.

Guttboy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 01:15:50 pm »
Thanks Tony....do you work for Sundance?

I am trying to see if the cost comparison between the older system and this one are comparable.  I have been reading conflicting reports here and trying to figure it all out...

Thanks!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 02:02:03 pm »
No I don't...just an owner.  $100.00 for six months sounds like a lot of money.  I have the old style micro clean system that has the small disposable filter and the larger pleated filter.  I buy the disposable for about $15.00 and it lasts four months.  I use one bottle of LeisureTime filter cleaner for less than $10.00 and mix it with four gallons of water.  I keep this solution for four months and clean my pleated filter every month.  I have a spare pleated filter and swap them every month, so when I clean one, the other is used in the spa.  I am still on my original pleated filters at over two and a half years.  I expect that I will change these sometime near the end of this year.  So to add up the cost...3 micro filters will be $45.00 per year; three bottles of filter clean will be $30.00 per year;  two filters are about $60.00 each lasting three years will be about $40.00 per year.  Total runs me about $115.00 per year plus the cost of the filter flask.  I'll bet Shepnell's in Vermont will sell the new filters for a better price than what your dealer is charging.

Now I get four months out of my micro clean filter.  Sundance recommends three months.  Add in the extra filter or and you're getting closer.  Some folks don't like the little micro clean and just use a single pleated filter.  That is always an option and probably even easier with the new system.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 02:13:54 pm by tony »

Guttboy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 02:12:22 pm »
Thanks!!! This helps.....the recommendations of the spa folks make it seem as though it will be within a buck or two for the cleaning etc as they broke down for me.

I will ask them to write it down again so that we can compare the prices.  Not that this would be the 100% dealbreaker but it would tend to add up after a while and as was mentioned in another thread...dinner for the wife.... ;)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 02:19:17 pm »
No problem.  I just changed my post a little because I checked and pay a little less for the filter cleaner than what I originally thought.  It will be interesting to see how long the new filters actually last.  One thing for sure, if you didn't like the concept, there will be a pleated filter that will fit.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 02:45:16 pm »
In my opinion, it's a relatively small issue if you really like the spa in all other regards.  Of course, there are other spas, and you might like one of them just as much, or even more.  But in the grand scheme of spa ownership, it seems like a pretty small extra cost.  
It will be interesting though, to see if it pans our for Sundance over time.  
Brewman
Brewman

Tubber

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 03:02:09 pm »
What has not even been mentioned is the fact that your going to have far better water quality.  No need for a flocculant either.

Guttboy

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 03:37:44 pm »
Tubber....

Better quality with what...the Microclean II or the older system?

Regards,

:)

Tubber

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 05:03:08 pm »
Better quality with the micro clean over a pleated filter.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 05:05:39 pm »
Also, there is a suciton under the filter which one of the pumps draws from.

h20bill

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 11:52:03 pm »
the best thing you can do for you 850 sundance is can the micro clean. 1 micron filtration is not needed in a spa.
we use 1 micron filtration in water trearment previous to an ultra violet lamp to capture incysted girardia. overkill for a hot tub but a great sell point to the unknowing. since your heater is fed water through the micro clean side, if you don't keep this changed, your circ pump can't feed the heater sufficient water and will
eventually have a no-heat situation. besides that who want to change and buy filters, I would rather be doing somthing else. Stick with a regular pleated filter and you will be fine. Most of your water bypasses the filter anyway so you should get good life out of the old standby

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 11:52:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42