What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: replace parts or buy new one?  (Read 4001 times)

amayazhi

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
replace parts or buy new one?
« on: March 13, 2005, 12:11:49 pm »
We just bought a home and now have a spa which is 25 years old with a Raypack RP2100 185,000 BTU heater which probably needs to be replaced (pilot light not cooperating). everything else seems to work, although the pump and motor are only working at half capacity, according to spa guy who came and looked at it and quoted us $3000 to replace everything but the actual tub. The tub itself is a 5 seater, in good shape, but needs redwood siding replaced. (My brother in law got everything to work,  and we tried it all out.)  I have found a less expensive heater for about $900- a Laars 125,000 btu.  My question is, should we replace the heater, and possibly the pump & motor, filter, and cover etc,  and spend about  $1500- $2,000, or just throw it all out and start over with a smaller portable spa for the same amount?

Hot Tub Forum

replace parts or buy new one?
« on: March 13, 2005, 12:11:49 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: replace parts or buy new one?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 07:15:14 pm »
I think the first step is for you to visit some showrooms so you can see what's out there. Spas have come a LOOOONG way compared to yours. I'd be very reluctant to spend $3k to fix up that age spa plus too often you fix one thing on a spa that old only to have other issues 6 months later. I'd suggest you go on some of the manufacturer websites and check out their dealer locators to see where your nearest local dealer is (I always recommend Sundance, Hot Spring, Marquis, Caldera and D1 to name a few).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 07:24:41 pm »
It's a tough question. It's like asking if you should put a new motor in a 1987 Camero. It would run much better but it might not have comfort and features that would make you enjoy it or want to own it for any length of time.

6 months later it might need front end work or a transmission. Was it still worth it?

Don't ya love car analogies? ;D

Steve

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 10:01:38 pm »
Put your $3,000 towards a new portable spa.

Both Steve and T.U.O. are pretty much dead on, car analogies and all.

amayazhi

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: replace parts or buy new one?Dear
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 10:05:41 am »
Thanks for the advice guys. ok. how about this question- can we really buy a new portable spa for under $2,000 (which the spa guy who came out and looked at our old one said we could?) and if so, what brand(s)?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 09:29:07 pm »
How about this question- can we really buy a new portable spa for under $2,000

Down...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 09:49:43 pm »
Maybe a stolen one... ???

spatexport

• Am I crazy, or is it just me?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 10:22:22 pm »
What exactly does "the pump and motor are only working at half capacity" mean?  

We have done spa system upgrades for older units that were impossible to extract without knocking down walls.  You may want to consider changing to an electric heater and upgrading the whole system if the tub is not easily removable.

On the other hand, I have spent over $10,000 over the last 5 years to keep my old '86 Chevy plow truck running and "the siding" is falling off.  In retrospect, a new truck may have saved me time and frusration for a little extra money.

Maybe this will help.  Consider that there is 25 years of some stranger's "history" inside the plumbing of the tub.  

Good Luck.

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 02:14:52 am »
Thanks for the advice guys. ok. how about this question- can we really buy a new portable spa for under $2,000 (which the spa guy who came out and looked at our old one said we could?) and if so, what brand(s)?

$2,000.00 is a pretty low investment for a spa. On average, a quality new spa will list between $4,000.00 and $6,000.00- This doesnt mean you cant find a spa for that amount though.

The Voyager retails for about $1,700.00 comes in 8 UPS acceptable boxes, requires assembly, and only comes 120v able.

Xspadition comes fully assembled nearly seats 3 and is rotationally molded. It heats without the benefit of a heating element and retails around $1,900.00

Softub/ Splash tubs makes tubs with vinyl liners with an entry level price of around $2,500.00

Both Tuff Spas and Freeflow build rotationally molded spas that are 120/240v convertable with multiple jets -and a heating element. These run between $2,600-$2,900.00 at the entry level.

Image/Icon/Proform and other manufacturers offer products via the internet in the $3,000.00 range- but typically lack the support infrastructure for after the sale service.

amayazhi

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 06:19:40 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input- the pump, heater and filter, that is, basically everything are above ground and exposed on the 1981 hot tub I'm trying to decide what to with.  About the pump/motor, it's supposed to be 2hp, but the spa guy who checked it said it's working at about half that power (although i guess this was an estimate).  Is it a bad idea to leave everything out in the open like it currently is?
Are new spas mostly electric these days? What are the bills like? Don't you have to set it up to turn on automatically everyday, right, to keep the water clean? We'd have to  install a timer too, I think, if this is actually the case....
:-/

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 07:03:36 pm »
amay,
The new portable spas on the market are sooo much more efficient and effective that the type you have. We could go into detail but that will pale in comparison to what you'll learn just by visiting one of your local dealers. Just go in and tell them that you are at the beginning stages of spa shopping and are just trying to see what spas are like and they'll allow you to browse and can offer general info. Then you can compare what you see to what you have and can better decide whether your money is well spent on servicing your current spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 02:51:24 pm »
Also you need to consider the cost of operation. I 25 year old spa will not be built as efficiently  as a newer quality spa will be. So the extra savings on energy cost may pay for a new spa.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 02:51:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42