What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is there an official hot tub review site?  (Read 5625 times)

KW_in_PA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Is there an official hot tub review site?
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:15:25 pm »
I like to read up on things before I buy them.  Usually in Consumer Reports. They however, do not rate spas.  Is there a web site or magazine that does rate them?

Hot Tub Forum

Is there an official hot tub review site?
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:15:25 pm »

PoolToSpa

Re: Is there an official hot tub review site?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 06:21:59 pm »
I too have looked for something like that, but have not found anything yet.  I ran across poolandspa.com but somthing there didn't seem right.  It just didn't seem lagit.......but i don't know for sure.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 06:25:30 pm »
Nope. The best surce you have is the people who frequent this website and a couple other similar ones (this and Dr Spa's being the top 2, IMO). Additionally, this site and Dr Spa's have review sections where customers review their spas. I tend to be somewhat skeptical of usefullness of some of the reviews as people like to justify their purchases but it's the best we've got.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 06:30:56 pm »
If all else fails, ask us. We're not shy! ;)

As for poolandspa, it's simply advertising dollars that generate a given rating. The amount of research that it would take to accurately rate spas against one another would be massive and take a matter of years. At which point, everything would change and you would have start over again! ;D

Steve

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 07:41:00 pm »
I tend to be somewhat skeptical of usefullness of some of the reviews as people like to justify their purchases but it's the best we've got.

"Justify their purchases ?"    We are all just stating what we like about our spas.  a review is an opinion, it's not right or wrong, it's just and opinion, and that's what KW is looking for.  Don't be slagging us, (BTW we're your customers), for justifying our purchases, b/c w/o us, you wouldn't have to worry about much.  If you want "pro" reviews, why don't you start your own site.  This forum is exactly meant for shaing ideas, opinions, etc about what WE feel is the best hot tub.  Again, it's an opinion, not fact.  I'm finding, outside of Chas and Steve, that there's a lot of dealer opinion that's nothing more than a sales pitch.  Again, obviously, we would feel in most cases that the tub we bought is one of if not the best based on what we could afford, etc.  

Sorry, but the reviews are what they are....reviews.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:51:47 pm by wmccall »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:10:21 pm »
Hmmmm, guess I gotta work my sales pitch eh? ;)

I appreciate the acknowledgement (even though Chas was mentioned too ;D) but I think Spatech t.u.o. didn't intend on offending anyone by it. Not that I have to speak for him cause he's far more articulate than I, but very few are going to purchase something of this magnitude and then admit to being hasty or unapprised after the sale.

We all defend our reasons for this purchase and the choice we make to varying degrees and we all want to show that we’re smart consumers.

Yes, we write what we feel as opinions, but quite honestly, very few consumers of hot tubs have experience with multiple spas over a long term. This alone makes your opinion valid but also sheltered to some degree and I say that with all due respect to all of you. I just made this very point with someone else on the HotSpring thread earlier. It doesn't lessen your opinion, it just makes it yours!

I dunno if I make my point clearly or not… :-/

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 09:47:54 pm »
Wow, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I do stand by what I said but it was not meant to belittle anyone's opinion. Thanks for speaking up for me Steve as I know you understood my point. All you need to do to understand my point further is to read Steve's post above (I guess I could have written more to explain what I was saying). One thing I should have said is I wouldn't put too much stock on an individual review but if a spa has multiple reviews that certainly has more meaning.

If I gave a review on my car it would probably be a bit more positive than it  should be and it would be from the standpoint of somone who's owned ONE of these models. When you're in the spa industry you have a huge sample to learn from. If a customer has a spa with problems they often come to the conclusion that that spa is something to be avoided though we may know it be be a very good brand/model overall and may therefore consider it to be the rare exception. Try telling that to the spa owner. Likewise, there are brand/models we feel to be problematic from our experience yet a single customer will swear we're wrong because his/her single tub has worked great and will defend their spa to the death. To each his own.

golferm

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 11:21:46 pm »
Sorry, I got a little hot under the collar there, but what I really wanted to say was that it I found the comment about "justifying their purchase" very "holier than thou" if you know what I mean.

Quite honestly, I knew as much about the tub I purchased as the sales guy, and more about other tubs I looked at.  

So, I don't feel that I need to justify my purchase to anyone, except maybe my wife.

golferm

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 11:23:58 pm »
BTW, I'm also on hot tub number 4 now (2 HS, 1 BC and 1 JAC) and I know I'm not the only one to own multiple tubs.  So Steve, from one Albertan to another, I know what you're saying, but don't paint us suckers all with the same brush.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 01:01:56 am »
BTW, I'm also on hot tub number 4 now (2 HS, 1 BC and 1 JAC) and I know I'm not the only one to own multiple tubs.  So Steve, from one Albertan to another, I know what you're saying, but don't paint us suckers all with the same brush.

The thing is no one can alwys tell from a review that the person really is well informed. I've read many and I can't really tell unless they try to go into detail. If you stated in a review that it was your 4th tub people would certainly take notice and take it to heart a bit more.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 07:57:04 am »
I too have looked for something like that, but have not found anything yet.  I ran across poolandspa.com but somthing there didn't seem right.  It just didn't seem lagit.......but i don't know for sure.

I'll say it. Pick up a copy fo pool and spa magazine. Correlate the articles/reviews with the advertisers. Notice how manufacturers quotes has entire stories written around them and are highlighted.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 07:59:25 am »
. I tend to be somewhat skeptical of usefullness of some of the reviews as people like to justify their purchases but it's the best we've got.

I agree to some extent, even if it is at a subconcious level.  I wish the programming allowed you to add on to your initial review periodically. If you search Dynasty, you will see I did an initial review and a couple of follow ups.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:53:30 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 09:44:38 am »
MAN,

The guns came out faster on this thread then they did that afternoon in Tombstone at the horse barn...

I think BOTH Spatech "the unreal one" and Mark 35 have valid points. Why?

Well Spatech's right. Some reviews you read seem to be very "high" on their tubs and don't include a "balanced" approach. I.E., "the jets are just AWESOME, the seating is AWESOME, I love my tub, it's totally AWESOME!" OK, whatever. BTW, how do you know it's not a dealer writing the review and blowing sunshine up your A$$? This type of review dosn't really "help" anyone, it just tells us your choice of vocabulary is somewhat limited.

On the other hand, Mark has a point in that GOOD reviews usually make comparisons to other tubs tested, in addition to full descriptions of features and why they like them. I think this should be VERY valuable to people looking to buy, because instead of DISCOVERING comparison factors to wet test, they have something to start with when they get in a tub the first time (which may even be a completely NEW experience for them).

Trying to buy something without ANY idea of what to look for can sometimes let dealers like Jim end up hooking unsuspecting people.

Anyway, just MHO, for what it's worth.

Peace and Hot Water...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

golferm

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 12:14:41 pm »
Thanks Drewski.  I agree with you on both points.  Again, I came across a little strong, and after a good night's rest (My wife is Mexico - while I take care of the kids this week !!!) I was able to discern a little more about Spatech's comments, and I totally get it now.  

Reviews that say "Awesome Awesome Awesome w/o any neutral or negative comments certainly aren't very helpful.  Reviews that say good and bad about a tub and give the tubbers experience would be better.  

Good healthy dialogue though, and thanks for your opinions.  I have found them very helpful in the past.

Mark

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 12:57:49 pm »
MAN,

I think BOTH Spatech "the unreal one" and Mark 35 have valid points. Why?

8)

You will find both in our reviews here.  If you want, use mine as an example.  I think they are the only Dynasty reviews listed and they start around 6/03

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 12:57:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42