What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Condolences to Jack  (Read 4416 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Condolences to Jack
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:52:10 am »
Ironically, I was driving on the Jack Nicklaus Freeway this morning when I heard Jack lost his 17 month old grand son to falling in a hot tub under the care of a nanny.  

I don't know if there will be any pictures of the tub in the news, but I'm going to guess this one is an in ground or flush mounted tub, which would demonstrate the point many of you have made of that not being a good way to mount a spa.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Condolences to Jack
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:52:10 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Condolences to Jack
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 09:47:15 am »
Truly sad to lose anyone, a young child seems so much worse.

I see a lot of fountains and water features here in La La land, and by law all are supposed to be surrounded by fencing with gates and such - but few if any are.

They put warning labels on buckets now warning of the drowning danger to small children.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c103:H.R.3682.IH:
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 10:12:07 am »
Truly sad. Unfortunately the fault lies not with tub but with the negligent caregiver. Inexcusable.

One can only the imagine the pressure that certain industries are placed under to alter their products because of events like these.

Just my thoughts
Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:18:09 pm »
This breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time....With all of the things we have done in this industry to make spas safe for children we still can't encourage guardians to use common sense.

I can't help but wonder if someone shouldn't come up with an auto locking cover, but then someone would certainly get themselves in a position to have the cover accidentally close on them and have a trap hazard.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 03:26:01 pm »
My condolences do go out to the Nicklaus family.... Does any one know for sure if it was in fact a above ground spa....I would not be surprised if it were an in-ground uncovered unit....with a cover on the above ground for a small child it is not an easy task to get in......but certainly possible....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 03:32:17 pm »
I think it was at Jack's Florida home in Winterhaven perhaps?  Maybe some of our Florida members will see a report on TV.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

kvnlaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 07:47:32 pm »
It was Jack's son Steve's home in Palm Beach County. Spa was part of the pool. Incidentally the child fence was supposedly in place. Very sad indeed.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:59:58 pm »
Just a horrible accident...

Grandson of golfer Jack Nicklaus dies after falling in hot tub

Associated Press

NORTH PALM BEACH, Fla. - The 17-month-old grandson of Jack Nicklaus died Tuesday after falling into a hot tub where he had been playing earlier, officials said.

Jake Walter Nicklaus was pronounced dead at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center at about 6:30 p.m., said Palm Beach County sheriff's spokesman Paul Miller.

The son of Steve Nicklaus, the toddler had been playing in the hot tub with his 4-year-old brother and their nanny, Miller said. The three left the pool area and went into the house, but Jake slipped away and went back through a sliding door to the hot tub, Miller said.

The nanny quickly realized he was missing and discovered him in the water, Miller said. She performed CPR until fire-rescue workers arrived. The boy was breathing at the time, he said.

He was brought to the hospital and died about an hour and a half after rescuers were called, Miller said.

According to the preliminary investigation, the death appeared to be accidental and there was no reason to suspect foul play, Miller said. An autopsy was planned to confirm the cause of death.

He said there was a child barrier around the entire pool area.

Nicklaus is originally from Columbus, Ohio. He hosts the annual Memorial Tournament at the Muirfield Village course in suburban Dublin.

A winner of 18 majors and five-time winner of the PGA Player of the Year, Nicklaus' most recent action was on Feb. 5 when he returned from a long layoff following back surgery to win the Champions Skins Game.

He is due to serve as captain of the U.S. team in the Presidents Cup competition this fall.

Steve has collaborated with his father on several golf course designs.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 06:54:17 am »
Truly sad!   :'( :'(
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 06:54:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42