What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sump Pump Hose  (Read 4059 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Sump Pump Hose
« on: February 04, 2005, 06:00:16 pm »
Well... a week or two ago someone suggested using a sump pump hose to drain a tub.  I went to Lowes and got 2 24 foot ones and joined them together then ran it to the back of my backyard from the tub.   I turned on the whirlpool jet and put the hose in front of it to get it going.  Let it run for 10 or 15 seconds to get it going and then let it drain.  20 minutes later the Optima was empty.  Almost 500 gallons in 20 minutes...  Amazing.

Thanks to whoever it was that posted that idea.  I can't remember which thread it was on but that smokes the 3 hours or so with a garden hose.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Sump Pump Hose
« on: February 04, 2005, 06:00:16 pm »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: Sump Pump Hose
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 06:41:02 pm »
I tried the same method but couldn't get the hose to keep the prime. >:(  

I used one of the jets to get it going but no luck.  I used 1 1/4" sump pump hose.

Jonathan

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 07:26:49 pm »
Cheap pool vac hose works great. You can buy it it varying lengths. Just be sure to store it out of the sun.

Or, you can use a three or four-foot length of vac hose (or sump pump hose) and then hook up some backwash hose to carry the water to the corners of the yard.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:58:36 pm »
I tried the same method but couldn't get the hose to keep the prime. >:(  

I used one of the jets to get it going but no luck.  I used 1 1/4" sump pump hose.

Jonathan

Our hose was almost 50 feet and at the end it was about 5 feet below the tub so I had pretty gravity helping me.  I also started with very strong flow as I used the whirlpool jet.   It seemed to be enough to keep the flow moving really well until it was empty.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 09:21:46 pm »
Well, it took me a few tries, but I just fed the 24 footer a couple of feet at a time into the tub until it was completely submerged. I put my hand tightly over one end, and dragged it out and let go. Voila! Didn't even use the jets, though I'll probably try that next time. Good idea!

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 10:32:13 pm »
I tried with a 24' section and my property doesn't drop that much.  Maybe if I double us the hose and fill t up with water first, that should help.  Meanwhile I bought a $70 pump from Lowes to help me out with my last drain.

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 10:32:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42