What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Rash is back  (Read 4117 times)

rick

Rash is back
« on: February 01, 2005, 06:11:43 pm »
I posted a message about a month ago with regards to getting a nasty itchy rash from my spa.  
Thought it might be a pseudomona bacteria infection so superchlorinated the spa, drained it, bleached the filter, cleaned the spa, and then refilled it.  
I was away from tubbing for about 3 weeks and the rashes all but disappeared and after about 4 or 5 days of tubbing again, I am getting new rashes.  
Somebody slap me, but I don't test my water.  I do treat it regularly and it always stays crystal clear.
So I took a sample to my dealer who has one of those fancy dancy computer analyzers and we found out 2 things.  I was real low in Alkalinity and my Chlorine was way too high.  His program only goes up to 10 for Chlorine and that is what my water measured, meaning it could also be higher than 10.  
This made me think more about the cause of my rash and now am thinking it is possibly from too much chlorine and not pseudomona (which is what causes the folliculitus infection).  
So I got some stuff to lower my Alkalinity (my ph was right on at 7.5), and we are also changing to a non chlorine shock.  But I still use 97% dichlor after each use.  So I plan on testing daily for a while and keep an eye on the chlorine.  
Since I am basically the only one using the spa of late, I guess I've just been too liberal with the chlorine.  

So my questions to you guys,  

Could it still be a pseudomona rash even though ph is good and chlorine is sky high?  Does a low alkalinity enable pseudomona to set in?

Is a chlorine rash similar to the folliculitus rash in that one gets raised red itchy bumps?

I only get it on my arms and legs,  nothing on the torso.

Hot Tub Forum

Rash is back
« on: February 01, 2005, 06:11:43 pm »

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
Re: Rash is back
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:33:05 pm »
Hey Rick I had the same problem too. I went to my doctor and he said what I had was caused by very dry skin. This was because of the winter months and being in the hot water it will bring that out. He gave me something to put on it and told me what kind of soap to shower with and since then it has gone and I can still enjoy my tub. I take a shower when I get out put the cream on any spot I see and so far so good. I also changed the time I put the dichor in so it was a few hours before I went in.

I would'nt fool around with it though. Ask your Doctor to check it out first. I read a few things here and it gives you an idea of what it could be but everyone is differant. Its better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:36:09 pm »
Hey Rick I had the same problem too. I went to my doctor and he said what I had was caused by very dry skin. This was because of the winter months and being in the hot water it will bring that out. He gave me something to put on it and told me what kind of soap to shower with and since then it has gone and I can still enjoy my tub. I take a shower when I get out put the cream on any spot I see and so far so good. I also changed the time I put the dichor in so it was a few hours before I went in.

I would'nt fool around with it though. Ask your Doctor to check it out first. I read a few things here and it gives you an idea of what it could be but everyone is differant. Its better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

Excellent advice!  See your doctor and have it tested!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 08:00:44 pm »
a rash on one person can very well look different on another.........

it's possible that your first rash was caused by a bacteria, it's also possible that it wasn't, it's also possible that your current rash was caused by something else, though it's also possible that it was caused by a chlorine resistant bacteria (possibly living in a biofilm), it's also possible that the rash was caused by somehting else.......... possibly

lotsa possibilities eh? Possibly a doctor willing to take the time to diagnose it might possibly determine the cause...............possibly not  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 08:19:58 pm »
THe Dr. has spoken.      ;)

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 10:15:22 pm »
I have dry skin rash as well and don't think it's bugs in the water.  My wife who has super sensitive skin doesn't have any rash.  IF there were bugs in the water, she would've let me know in a big way!

Mine is from super dry skin.  

Jonathan
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 08:36:34 pm by newtotubbing »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 05:39:21 pm »
Pseudomobnas, once your are infected, exists more in your epidermus than it does in your spa. Flushing the spa does not always solve it. I have seen cases that require the bather to spend 8-12 weeks out of the spa, even if all symptoms appear to be gone.

It is also possible you are infected again.

Listen to the advice above and demand that your physician do a little research on the condition.

It could also be a reaction to many other things including chloramines, clarifiers, stain & scale inhibitors...

Homeworks Financing Representative

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 06:50:29 pm »
YES!

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 09:04:40 pm »
I definitely agree to see a health professional and let them have a look at it.  

It sounds similar to what I had been also dealing with - we use Bromine in our tub, but are considering a switch... I am experiencing patches of dry, rashy skin on my legs in particular my shins, as well as a couple areas on arms.  I saw my doc and a dermatologist - and both agreed that it looked more like a dry skin reaction/eczema, not anything caused my a micro-organism.  I have been using DermaSmooth (prescription) and it has helped tremendously!!  (Am I allowed to enthusiastically recommend a specific product here??  If yes, please try dermasmooth!!)

So - now I am not sure that actually switching from Bromine to chlorine is actually going to make any difference at all.  It seems that just the combination of dry winter air, dry heat in the house, hot water soaks and chemicals is a recipe for really dry skin!

Jodi
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 09:04:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42