What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa cover lock  (Read 6887 times)

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Spa cover lock
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:19:40 am »
I remember some time ago, there was a post about locking your spa cover.  I found this page and thought it would be of interest to many here, since some have unwanted visitors to their spas when they are away on vacation.

http://www.hottub-covers.com/html/spa_guard.html

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

Spa cover lock
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:19:40 am »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: Spa cover lock
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 11:25:54 am »
What a great idea. I was wondering how to secure our tub better while we are away on vacation and this seems to dot he trick. I find those little clips that lock can be opened rather easily. so this would ensure better security.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 12:38:46 pm »
While it might be a pretty good idea, and far be it from me to stop a guy from making some money, but the components might be available from Home Depot for 1/2 that.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 08:38:19 pm »
I bet 1/3 the cost  ;)

Problem I see, it's going to dig into the cover if it's tight enough to keep the cover from being slid out from under it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 10:07:51 pm »
I bet 1/3 the cost  ;)

Problem I see, it's going to dig into the cover if it's tight enough to keep the cover from being slid out from under it.

Not if you install 2 of them in the form of +.

Jonathan

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 01:03:53 am »
That would work!...... only $60.00

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 01:10:17 am »
is this really that big of issue for enough people....I guess it can be....in certain places....where I am from most of the yards are fenced and it seems to be over kill

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:28 am »
A lot of areas of the country have "no fence" laws where NO ONE has ANY fences.... none! nada! bupkis! I have reletive in Michagian like this...... backyards look kinda weird...... you can see the property lines from the lawn mower marks  :)

Then there always the neighborhood teenagers pearing out of their windows waiting for you to go on vacation....

I had a customer once that took a similar cable, though about 30' long, and threaed it through 4 or 5 eye bolts across his cover, for security..... said it worked great..... only took him 15 minutes to get it off to use his spa  :D

came back from vacation one day to find someone simply managed to unscrew a couple of the eye bolts to access his spa.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 08:15:37 am »
We don't have a fence around our spa, the city doesn't require them.  But our spa is next to a large patio behind the house, and the floodlight for the patio is on a motion detector.  Maybe the solution for vacation would be for me to have the motion sensor activate a loudspeaker blaring "Flight of the Valkilries" or whatever that music they played on Apocalypse Now was called.
That would at least alert the neighbors.

Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 08:34:16 am »
I bet 1/3 the cost  ;)

This would be where I wish my dad was still around. he was an upholsterer with an industrial sewing machine. He could make a little sleeve for the cable that matched the cover raising the cost of materials another few cents.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 09:18:13 am »
Then there always the neighborhood teenagers pearing out of their windows waiting for you to go on vacation....

I

We busted some kids using a neighbor's trampoline that way.  Anyone who has ever been sued by a tresspasser on their property would probably be extra cautious.  I've had no problems, but the property to my west, is a rental and in 20 years I have had at least 15 different neighbors so I'm keeping my eye out.

nicker

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 09:21:19 am »
I guess I could see this being a problem if you didn't have a fence.  But why don't people have fences...are they not allowed too or somthing ?  I couldn't imagine not having my yard fenced in.  Well we have a dog, but also it adds lots of privacy.  I would hate to sit in my tub and be wondering about all my neighbours looking.  I just wouldn't feel as relaxed.  I also really wouldn't like to have to add that ugly cable thingy.  What a pain in the *&#$*~!   Its nice to be able to just open your cover and jump in.   Just my thoughts.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 09:21:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42