What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: shock question  (Read 2624 times)

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
shock question
« on: December 18, 2004, 02:16:05 pm »
We are down to using our tub about 3 times a week (from the beginning stages of daily use).  My water is crystal clear and balanced nicely.  Do I need to shock once a week if everything is reading correctly?  My dealer says to shock only when the bromine levels drop below .5ppm.  What do you experts think?  I'm shocking with dichlor and it tends to elevate my bromine to 10ppm for days after a shock.  I use just under an ounce to shock for my 400 gallon tub.  Too much?

Elle

Hot Tub Forum

shock question
« on: December 18, 2004, 02:16:05 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: shock question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 02:23:26 pm »
I have gotten into the habit of shocking just a bit each time I get out.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 05:00:53 pm »
I recommend shocking if you use your spa 3 or more times a week.

An ounce sounds like a lot. To shock 400 gallons, 3-4 TEASP00Ns should be adequate, not sure if that measures one ounce or not. It is important when you shock to leave the cover off for an hour to allow off-gasing to occur.

Stuart, are you saying that you add MPS each time you use the spa or are you adding a small amount of dichlor? Adding a small amount of dichlor after using is not by definition shocking but sanitizing.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 05:25:08 pm »
3 to 4 teaspoons is about an ounce! I use Enhanced shock so it is adding Chlorine at the same time.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 05:58:20 pm »
3 to 4 teaspoons is about an ounce! I use Enhanced shock so it is adding Chlorine at the same time.

I'm no up with your wacky imperial measuring. Metric is so much more logical......

Homeworks Financing Representative

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 04:21:59 pm »
You should shock weekly IMO. Run for 15 minutes with the cover off and jets on high speed.

Look at it as more proactive than reactive. We don't check our oil in our cars once the oil light comes on hopefully... ;)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 04:21:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42