What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: When to drain your spa!  (Read 5148 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
When to drain your spa!
« on: December 13, 2004, 01:52:31 pm »
There have been several posts lately on the benefit of new water. With the change of seasons comes many situations that can make water care frustrating so I thought I would start this post as a help to new owners or intermediate owners that haven’t experienced  season changes yet.

Within the first month of spa ownership you will encounter some water maintenance issues that you might never deal with again. Here are some of the reasons;

1.      In the first month your spa will typically get more use than normal as you invite friends and family over, every family member gets in several times a day just because this new cool (or hot) item is out there and you’ve been too excited for it’s arrival. You try to make up for all the times your back hurt and you did not have one by getting in constantly!
2.      Most people that use a spa have collected oils and even dirt in the pores of their skin that does not come out from showering or even typical bathing but will exude out in a spa due to many things like; longer soaking time, deeper immersion, PH balance, sanitizers, massage and of course the heat. With consistent soaking this will not be as common after owning the spa awhile unless you don’t get in for long periods of time and then start soaking frequent (like when winter comes).
3.      You spa has gone through a factory wet test that used less than perfect water. In most factories they pump water from spa to spa thereby collecting dust and particles from each.
4.      all of the seals and fittings have lubricant and sealant on them and commonly some excess is on the outside of the fittings when the spa is shipped, this comes off and goes into the filter when the spa sets for awhile with hot water. This requires that you soak you filter in a degreaser within the first few weeks.    

With a season change here are some of the things that can “stress” the water;

1.      White water mold is more prevalent spring and fall, I don’t know the specifics to why but in our area it has, at times, gotten to epidemic proportions some years  in those two seasons. We find it most common on stressed “old” water.
2.      Most people go back to using their spas in the fall and in the spring after the coldest weather goes away. In addition to this Holiday season seems to greatly increase new bacteria in a spa introduced by guest’s.
3.      More people use lotion in the winter than other times of the year for dry skin dependant on area. It could be that more people use tanning lotion in the summer. Regardless, this is a seasonal change that will upset the balance of your water and cause the need for water change more frequently.

The bottom line is that you should change your water once within the first month of ownership and then at least once a season. Don’t get into the trap of adding more chemicals at these times as an attempt to “fix” problems caused by these situations, just change the water!

Hot Tub Forum

When to drain your spa!
« on: December 13, 2004, 01:52:31 pm »

jmig

• caldera geneva utopia
Re: When to drain your spa!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 02:08:27 pm »
Stuart:
  I'm having my tub delivered tomorrow and its going to be 30 degrees.  How important is it to fill and flush?? Would super-shocking take its place?? Its going to be problematic to change water in January in Connecticut. Hope I can skip until early March or hope for this mild winter to continue.  I've learned alot trolling on this board and I can't wait to put it to use. Thanks to all
 Jerry

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 02:14:02 pm »
Yes, sanitizer and shock will help, enzyme will also help but understand that this will add to you TDS (total dissolved solids) and can create other issues so drain and refill when you do get good weather.

Understand, there are other ways to have good water I'm simpley pointing out the easiest....

TCMarvin

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 04:53:43 pm »
Actually, enzymes reduce TDS. They convert organic matter into carbon dioxide (which gases out of the spa) water and salts.

Enzymes also reduce the amount of sanitizer needed, which reduces the chloramines/bromamines left in your spa after oxidation. Those that use ONLY dichlor/bromine have to add enough to do ALL of the chores in the spa, which can be taken care of non-toxically with less maintenance. Adding this much chlorine/bromine increases your TDS at a faster rate, increases your health risk and drys out the natural oils in your hair/skin. Your sanitizer should only be used for killing bacteria.

I use Eco One and small amounts of dichlor. I can easily go 6+ months between water changes, no matter how much it is used. The water will still be as clean and clear as the day i filled it. I doubt this can be done with other treatments.

Eco One will also leave your skin and water feeling soft.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 05:15:08 pm »
Actually, enzymes reduce TDS. They convert organic matter into carbon dioxide (which gases out of the spa) water and salts.

Enzymes also reduce the amount of sanitizer needed, which reduces the chloramines/bromamines left in your spa after oxidation. Those that use ONLY dichlor/bromine have to add enough to do ALL of the chores in the spa, which can be taken care of non-toxically with less maintenance. Adding this much chlorine/bromine increases your TDS at a faster rate, increases your health risk and drys out the natural oils in your hair/skin. Your sanitizer should only be used for killing bacteria.

I use Eco One and small amounts of dichlor. I can easily go 6+ months between water changes, no matter how much it is used. The water will still be as clean and clear as the day i filled it. I doubt this can be done with other treatments.

Eco One will also leave your skin and water feeling soft.

A couple of MAJOR concerns I have with that post TC. First off, there is nothing that you can add to water to lower TDS. Including enzymes! They might have their benefits but what you are suggesting is not accurate information at all. Enzymes will help reduce the amount of sanitizer needed and therefore extend water life slightly but that's about it.

It will help reduce scum and odors but the product itself has a TDS to it that can only increase the levels within spa water. Enzymes are not considered a shock treatment for spas.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 05:19:55 pm by Steve »

TCMarvin

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 05:45:04 pm »
Sorry Steve, you are correct. What i meant was, Enzymes reduce the "rate at which" TDS increases.

FYI, products like Eco One do more than just rid your spa of scum and odors. They balance your pH and alkalinity for the life of your water, elminate scale or other minerals from forming anywhere on your shell or pipes, extends the life of your filters, filters spray WHITE with a garden hose and they make your water and skin feel great.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 05:49:37 pm by TCMarvin »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 06:19:59 pm »
Being a Canuck from the frozen tundra of Alberta, I'm not as familiar with Eco 1. We do utilize some enzyme treatments and I've always sold them as a product that will reduce the amount of sanitizer, reduce scum and odor, help stabilize pH and give the water a nice feel.

Thanks for the clarification TC! ;)

Do they really claim that Eco 1 will stabilize pH and alk for the life of the water and if so, is that an accurate statement? Seems a bit broad to me personally... ???

BTW Stuart, good info in that post.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 06:21:44 pm by Steve »

TCMarvin

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:22:16 pm »
steve, yes, Eco One does balance your pH for the life of your water. This is a claim made by the manufacturer and the product lives up to it.

The product contains more than just enzymes (flocking agents, mineral softeners, cleansers, coconut), this is the reason why it outperfomes and offers more benefits than products like Spa Perfect. Plus, you only have to add it once per month and it is non-toxic.

It costs a little more to use than other treatments, but i have found that my filters last twice as long as they did when i was on Baqua and Dichlor/Nature2. This alone makes the product worth the money, along with the ease of use and the way the coconut makes your skin feel. I have a hard time believing that any other treatment is as easy and beneficial to use.

Another thing, my pillows dont fade like they use too with other treatments. I was told by the company that the product puts a light coating (not noticable)of coconut extract on the spa and it's components, which is why they dont fade as fast. This is also the reason why the filters last longer and easily spray clean.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 07:52:38 pm »
my pillows dont fade like they use too with other treatments.

I've used just about everything in my spa and have yet to ever have my pillows on my Marquis fade!  ;);D

poolboy34

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 11:21:26 pm »
I don't know how everyone else feels, but FILTERS should last atleast 3-5 years with proper care.  IMO dealers that tell you to buy new filters every water change or every year are just out to rip their customers off.  Rinsing your filters once a week, or every two weeks and then soaking them in a filter cleaning solution 1-2 times/year will greatly increase the life of your filters!!!!   ahhhhhhhhh.rant done ;D

Now onto this eco-1................Have yet to see it, and to my knowledge none of our competitors carry it.  But from what i've read on their website, it's similar to other enzyme products on the market today.

Neptuner

• My only tub foam
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 11:54:48 pm »
I have used ECO one for nearly 2 years and am very happy with the condition of the spa water. However, I never had "crystal clear" water until I installed Dr Spa's magnets on the return line 2 months ago. Food for thought.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 11:58:25 pm »
Tell me your thoughts on this poolboy;

I totally understand what you're saying. It's the one area where people just do as they're told. I even hate the idea of these throw-away filters as I personally believe is just a cash cow for the companies selling them while it prays on the fact that we're all too busy for regular, required maintenence.

I have always been under the undersanding that just rinsing filters will remove the "chunks" but it doesn't address the grease and oils which are the bigger concern.

My recommendations are as follows;

1) Spa owners should have 2 sets of filters as a spa shouldn't be run without filters

2) Filters should be cleaned in a cleaning solution monthly. If the spa has a large amount of debrit entering (ie leaves, pine needles, etc), the filters should be rinsed at least weekly with a garden hose.

3) Alternate filters monthly and make sure the newly cleaned filters are rinsed properly as many cleaners have the tendancy to contribute to foam in the spa.

4) Filters should last approx 1-2 years when cleaned monthly in a cleaning solution designed to remove grease, oils, calcium and minerals.

5) Be careful cleaning filters at car washes as the force can blow apart the pleats.

6) If you have no clue what gets into these filters, feel free to clean them in your dishwaher. :P Once you know the body fluids that accumlate in these pleats, you might think differently... ;D

7) Understand the differences in sq footage for filters that will work with your spa. The higher sq footage isn't always the best answer and they are more expensive.

8) Many dealers offer a commercial filter cleaning service for about $10 - 15.00. Not a bad idea to do this a few times a year for a multi-step deep cleaning. Just make sure they put it in bleach first prior any other solution to kill any bacteria.

That's how I was taught anyway... :)

Steve

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 12:39:28 am »
We foolishly "perhaps" include an extra set of filters for all of our customers....We recommend cleaning them after the first 2 weeks for a new spa and than rotating on a monthly baises...soaking over night in a filter cleaner...It is my understanding that the filters should last between 2 to 3 years this way....not the brightest thing we could do for our selfs but I feel it is in the customers best interest long term...I only wish they could appreciate it....

poolboy34

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 09:11:48 am »
Steve,
I agree with what you're saying.  I was taught slightly differently, but both ways work.  We recomend that customers rinse their filters once a week/every 2 weeks at the very least.  And then upon draining and refilling soak the filters in the cleaning solution.  We also recomend that they purchase an xtra set of filters to swap out while they are cleaning the filters in the solution so they don't lose any spa time.  I just get upset b/c some of our competitors tell their customers that they need new filters every year, or I've even heard customers tell me they were told to replace them every time they drain & refill.  The customers bring their old filter in to match them up and they look brand new almost!!!!!!  That's what gets me.  I've seen filters that are 8 years old and still look good as new, and these are from customers who use their spa 3 times a week year round too!!!!  With proper care and routine maintenance filters WILL LAST.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 02:27:47 pm »
Steve;

Re: #7  above. Filters are a part of the "landmine" portion of my presentation.

I agree that filter size can and will be used to lead customers to beleive that water will cleaner. This is only true to an extent.

I preach that filters are like garbage cans. Other than a couple of exeptions, they are all made of the same material. What changes is the maintenence aspect.

I always comment that "..my Beachcomber customers with 25 sq ft filters had/have clean, clear water. What they had to do to maintain this was rinse the filters every week or two. " Then I point to a Coleman " now this tub has 75 sq ft of filtration resulting in less maintenance" and then the D-1 with 150 sq'.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 02:27:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42