What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foam with HS Vanguard  (Read 3744 times)

CaliforniaDave

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Foam with HS Vanguard
« on: December 01, 2004, 02:03:07 pm »
We have had this spa for 3 weeks now. Check the water chemicals everyday, adjust as needed.

But, we get foam. Not sure what is a normal amount. I know when I cleaned the filters I didn't do as good of a job as I should have - next time I'll put them in the dishwasher to rinse.

When running, I get almost half the spa covered with a layer of foam. Seems like the intake pulls it in to the filters and takes care of the rest.

How much foam should I expect? Also, I have used the defoamer, but not sure how much I should use. Can you put too much? Symptoms if you do?

I know I over do it, but I test the water everyday with test strips. Mainly I do it this often as friends and family have found out we have one, so use is at with at least one person per day (me!), mostly two people per day, and 2 days or so per week with 4+ people. So I like to check the water so I can get a feel for what it does with different number of people. Would a different tester other then the test strips be better to use?

Thanks guys - love this forum. Wish I had found it before I bought, but after reading the posts and doing what we did in shopping (talked to people who owned one and wet tested) we did great! So happy with our purchase!

Hot Tub Forum

Foam with HS Vanguard
« on: December 01, 2004, 02:03:07 pm »

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
Re: Foam with HS Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 02:10:14 pm »
Your story is very familiar. Did you fill and drain initially. I had foam as well till I changed my water after a month. Must have been some residue from the factory,bobhol    

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 02:17:18 pm »
Change the Water.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:36:23 pm »
I've seen two common reasons for foam.

1. from suits that were washed in the regular laundy. The best laundry soap leave residue behind.  Run your suits through a full cycle with no detergent and ask that any guests do the same.  Or just go without suits.

2. Filter cleaner products can leave behind residue that you really need to rinse out thoroughly. Have you used a commercial product on your filters.   When I use something I rinsh the beejeebers out of them till the water runs clean while I'm rinsing them and then I sit them aside and rinse them again later till they show no side of soap.

Chas mentioned change the water.

No, you aren't expected to do that every 3 weeks, but we have been discussing a philosophy (soon to be called Chas' law) that all new owners should change the water after a month, then hopefully every 2-3 months after that.

PS - No foam is the normal amount.Search the archives for discussions about foam.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 02:41:56 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 02:45:30 pm »
Change the Water.

Change the Water.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 02:50:47 pm »
Chas mentioned change the water.
 but we have been discussing a philosophy (soon to be called Chas' law)

It isn't anything like Murphy's law, either!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 03:15:25 pm »
Also keep in mind Calcium Hardness levels, as low levels will cause foam.  You might want to use an enzyme product such as Spa Perfect if you are on a well and draining and refilling more frequently isn't feasible.  The Enzyme product will break down the oils that are causing your spa to foam.

Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 03:40:10 pm »
Change the Water.

Change the Water.

Change the Water.

It was just a passing thought....

Also, Jason is correct: water which is soft has much greater tendency to foam.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 03:52:38 pm »
Another thing that can cause a lot of foam is some clarifiers like Bright and Clear if they are used too much.  We ran into this the first couple of months and had a lot of foam issues.  After our first water change we made sure we had proper calcium levels and changed to Sea Klear 4 in 1 Clarifier and we haven't had any foam problems since.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

CaliforniaDave

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 04:22:33 pm »
My water is Very High Calcium - well water from city.

I think I will....Change the water....

Now that I'm thinking on it, started when other people got in..=more soap in suits......cleaned the filter = filter cleaner.

So will do that this weekend, so that the tub has time to heat up for night use!

Thanks guys.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 06:46:43 pm »
Hi CalDave!   In addition to the soap residue from suits Mmccall mentioned, you'll get soap/shampoo residue from the bodies IN the suits.

Some people advocate rinsing off in the shower before the tub, some are horrified by the thought.   My opinion is you'll get some soap from skin but the big culprit is long hair (shampoo, cream rinse, etc.)  We did the "drain after 30 days" drill - after that we rinsed suits and everybody does a quick rinse in the shower before tubbing.  We've had zero foam since.  Just did a late November water change and the 3 month old water had zero foam.  YMMV.
Stars

CaliforniaDave

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 12:01:35 pm »
Update - guess what, I changed the WATER! LOL  Now, no foaming.

After the posts and thinking back on it, I agree with the statement, change the water after the first 30days. IT IS SO NICE having fresh water.

Also, I think the biggest problem I had was not rinsing the filters enough. I had thought rinsing them well was good, but after doing it this time, and way over doing the rinsing (which is that I think should be done) I can see a differrence in the filter - it is real clean looking.

I used the stuff provided to me by the dealer, which is a quick filter cleaner spray. I will be changing to a soaking type of cleaner when I run out. For some reason I like the idea of doing it that way.

Also going to buy another set of filters. Hate to spend that type of money, but the idea of putting in a clean filter set while I take my time cleaning the other one seems worth it to me.

Is there a place to buy these filters online for a cost savings? By the way, for those who say go back to my dealer, I emailed them, and didn't get an answer. This board gave it to me, so I would much prefer to give my business to people on this board then my local dealer.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 12:02:31 pm by CaliforniaDave »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 12:09:05 pm »
Update - guess what, I changed the WATER! LOL  Now, no foaming.

Ok, everyone, despite all the talk about post counts, football teams, curling, favorite drinks, astronomical events, JA, and Chas' boredom,  we actually helped someone.  Take the rest of the day off!  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 01:02:31 pm »
Ok, everyone, despite all the talk about post counts, football teams, curling, favorite drinks, astronomical events, JA, and Chas' boredom,  we actually helped someone.  Take the rest of the day off!  ;D
You have a DEAL !!!

;D

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 01:49:29 pm »

Yes all he finally;

changed the water! ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 01:49:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42