What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How hard is a HS Grandee to maintain??Chems??  (Read 5817 times)

850-R

How hard is a HS Grandee to maintain??Chems??
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:55:40 pm »
I am leaning toward the Grandee I was wondering what is it gonna take from me weekly to keep the thing running as far a chemicals and water tests and etc go??  I hear from my dealer that it is a breeze but I read otherwise here.  What am I up against as a hot tub newbie??

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

How hard is a HS Grandee to maintain??Chems??
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:55:40 pm »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Re: How hard is a HS Grandee to maintain??Chems??
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 09:34:53 pm »
Use the HS Freshwater system (ozone and ion cartridge) and it is simple.  I use 2 tbls of MPS before each use (1 film canister full) and 1.5 oz. of DiChlor each week.  - Thats it!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 09:38:13 pm »
It is easy enough that my 15 year-old daughter has maintained our spas for many years. Like anything else, once you get used to it, you develop little systems, shortcuts if you will, which simplify everything.

The Grandee has a great filtration system, and I find it to be as easy or easier to maintain than most spas.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 11:53:08 pm »
My wife does most of the maintenance - she gets home earlier than I do and just makes it part of the routine.  BUt, if I remember correctly, I believe this is the way we do it:

We put in 2 tbls of MPS each day whether we use it or not, mostly to get used to the habit, although we have been told this is probably overkill.

We generally shock once a week and put in a tbl of alk up, based on test strips.

The only time we get gunky water is if we go out or get busy and do nothing for about 3-4 days (usually depending on how long it has been since a water change).

We change the water in the tub 4 times a year, with the seasons.

As for actual "cleaning":

1) Measure amount of MPS with a dedicated measuring spoon into a plastic cup.

2) Lift hot tub cover half off and mix some tub water into the cup and swish it around until the mps disolves.

3) Dump it in, close the cover, hit the "clean" button. Done.

Same for the chlorine, but leave the cover off while the jets are running to allow the chlorine to dissipate.

-Ed
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 11:54:15 pm by ebirrane »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 07:53:53 am »
I only put in MPS when I use the spa.  3-4 times a week.  No pre-disolving just add it to the filter compartment.  After 3 months, no water problems to report.  I also clean my filters once a month.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 08:58:59 am »
I have had my HS Landmark for almost 2 years now.  I switched to the Nature2  cartridge about 5 months ago.  Other than that I use and always have used strictly dichlor.  I would definitely recommend the N2 cartridge it has basically cut my dichlor usage in half.  

But even if you don't use N2,  dichlor will keep your water sparkling clear.  I usually spend no more than a few minutes every other day for a quick test and to add some dichlor if necessary.  The maintenance will pale in comparison to the enjoyment you will get out of a Grandee.  Keep us posted.

georgiapeach

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 09:47:10 am »
I am leaning toward the Grandee I was wondering what is it gonna take from me weekly to keep the thing running as far a chemicals and water tests and etc go??  I hear from my dealer that it is a breeze but I read otherwise here.  What am I up against as a hot tub newbie??

Thanks

I just got my Grandee on 11 Nov and it's been really easy to maintain.  I add 1 T MPS per person 10 minutes prior to getting into tub (if I forget, I do it after) and a half cap full of Chlorine each week.  I do dilute the MPS with tub water before adding it to the filter area because it doesn't dissolve very well and since I've done that, I haven't had a problem (Thanks Lori).  I rinsed my filters this past weekend (my dealer suggested I rinse them every 2 weeks)  I have noticed that my PH level is a bit low (per the test strip) and that's bothering me....I got a bottle of PH UP from my dealer and I think I'm going to add some of that this afternoon and see if it makes a difference.  If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate them... :-)  I love my Grandee though and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it... :-)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 09:54:43 am »
It is easy enough that my 15 year-old daughter has maintained our spas for many years. .

Of course she is a genius. You know what they say about genius skipping a generation.

Back to the original poster, yes it is easy, it may not seem like it the first month, but you will catch on quickly.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 10:15:42 am »
Of course she is a genius. You know what they say about genius skipping a generation.
That it doesn't usually???

Back to the original poster, yes it is easy, it may not seem like it the first month, but you will catch on quickly.
True true true. You would be amazed at how many of our customers call frequently during the first month or so - we always offer to help them through this - and then after awhile, they end up giving impromptu 'classes' to newbies waiting at the chemical counter on Saturday morning !!
It will fall into place.

Also - I don't know if I have mentioned this, but a water change at the end of the first month helps a lot. A whole lot.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 10:25:03 am »
Also - I don't know if I have mentioned this, but a water change at the end of the first month helps a lot. A whole lot.

I'm slowly seeing the wisdom in this idea.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 11:40:29 am »
georgiapeach

MPS has a low pH, so it will naturally draw the pH of your spa water down.  Just test once per week and adjust if necessary.  You could use a buffered non chlorine shock such as LeisureTime Renew which has a neutral pH, but it tends to be expensive and you need more product to do the same job.

georgiapeach

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 07:14:21 am »
georgiapeach

MPS has a low pH, so it will naturally draw the pH of your spa water down.  Just test once per week and adjust if necessary.  You could use a buffered non chlorine shock such as LeisureTime Renew which has a neutral pH, but it tends to be expensive and you need more product to do the same job.

So, as long the water seems okay, I shouldn't worry too much about the low PH level?  I did add some of that "PH Up" stuff that came with the tub, but it didn't make any difference.  Also, I'm curious about something; I had a couple of friends over the other night and I noticed my water got a bit "sudsy"...ya think that might have come from the bathing suits and washing them with detergent?

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 07:34:39 am »
Most likely, Peachy!

Just ask that they run their suits through a cycle without soap.  That helped mine!  Bathing suits, that it!!!

LOL!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

georgiapeach

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 12:29:30 pm »
Most likely, Peachy!

Just ask that they run their suits through a cycle without soap.  That helped mine!  Bathing suits, that it!!!

LOL!!!

Will it go away by itself eventually?  I got in last night by myself for a bit and still noticed suds when I turned on the jets... :-(

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 11:45:03 pm »
When I had some minor foaming, like you describe, it went away after a shock of chlorine, for me!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 11:45:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42