What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's that smell?  (Read 2466 times)

stingfan

What's that smell?
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:20:50 am »
We have recently switched to bromine and I notice a kind of funky smell, besides the faint chlorine smell you would notice at a swimming pool.  Is that the bromine tabs?  Is there a difference in brands?

Also, I've noticed a smell coming from my hot tub with cover closed since we bought it.  I can smell it from my driveway, 20 yards away. It's kind of like a new car smell, but not exactly the same.  This smell is different from the smell I get when I raise the lid.  Wondering if it's the foam insulation that smells and will that smell ever go away?  This smell is the same regardless of the method we've used for sanitation (we've used Nature2/dichlor, dichlor alone, and now bromine feeder).

We own a Jacuzzi J-355.

My  nose is being assaulted  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

What's that smell?
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:20:50 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: What's that smell?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:44:55 am »
I use Chlorine and I can tell by the smell if I've added the right amount, but I could never smell anything spa related from 20 yards away.  When this happens you might want to take one side of the skirt off and see if the smell gets worse. (Ok, all you wise guys, I'm talking about the hot tub skirt.)  >:(

Just a wild guess
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 01:39:31 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 08:15:37 pm »
J-370 here. No order here (unless someone forgets to put the chlorine in after they use it). Usually, all Chlorine is gone within a day or so and nothing but clear water. NEVER a smell from 10 feet away (even after opening up the tub). I agree, open up the skirts and see if something crawled in there when you weren't looking (though I don't know how anything could with the ABS bases on these things.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 08:15:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42