What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: UL listing  (Read 3403 times)

salesdvl

UL listing
« on: November 05, 2004, 11:11:08 am »
Could someone give the accurate reason that Hot Spring no longer has a UL listing.
I have heard many things but am interested in finding out what the real reason is.

thanks.

( and please .... no fighting.  Play nice. )  :)
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

UL listing
« on: November 05, 2004, 11:11:08 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: UL listing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:01:57 pm »
ETL is, I believe, 1/4 the cost, as widely recognized as UL, and has their offices conveniently located right down the street from Watkins Manufacturing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 12:16:44 pm »
with all due respect to the good Dr.....I agree with him except that it is "as widely recognized as UL" most people who have ever plugged in anything in their homes have seen the UL label...but I would doubt one in ten would have a clue as to ETL.....how ever it is my understanding....that the reason had to do with the adding of the stereo.....made it much tougher to get UL approval....

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 12:23:33 pm »
I heard it had something to do with the heater.  If you put your foot by the return of a Grandee or Vista it's scaulding hot.  
Measure once, cut twice.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Chas, where are you when we need you?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 01:21:22 pm »
Chas has posted this before.  I just don't remember which thread it was in!!!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
And the winner is....
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 02:49:27 pm »
Dr. Spa !!!

I have spoken with the VP and others about this in person and over the phone on several occasions. The reason is exactly as Doc stated.  Also, we had gotten ETL approval for several components previously, over the years, and it is faster than UL. Our Hot Spot tubs have always been ETL listed - for many years.

As to the ETL label being 'just as recognized,' the truth is that though ETL may not be as well known to consumers, it IS every bit as well known to building inspectors the world over. Sorry, but we don't count folks: they do. If ETL made it tougher for our customers to get the spas permitted, we would not have made the change.

BTW - ETL has not yet created it's own standard, so they test to the UL standard anyway.

And as to the 'scalding' comment: our tubs have a temp limit device that keeps the water returning to the spa below the temp specified in the UL standard, and though it feels hot to the bare foot, I can attest that it will NOT burn you or harm even sensitive skin. This is an untruth propagated by certain individuals who shall remain clueless.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 03:12:52 pm »
Chas, relax dude.  I am a Hot Spring dealer and a Hot Spring owner.  I however do not drink the KoolAid as much as many do.  I do not believe that the executives at Watkins can actually walk upon the water as others think they can do.  Just because it has Hot Spring stamped on it does not make it perfect.  I recall ( no pun intended ) a few years ago a heater they used that doubled as a marshmallow cooker.  But someone at Watkins approved that design and later had to correct it.  And I have put MY foot down on the return of the Grandee and Vista we have running in our showroom and I know what friggin hot water feels like.  Maybe it wont cause damage but it is hot.
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 03:26:43 pm »
Chas, relax dude.  ... I have put MY foot down on the return of the Grandee and Vista we have running in our showroom and I know what friggin hot water feels like.  Maybe it wont cause damage but it is hot.

Ok. Deep breath in....... let it go....... OK. I'm relaxed.  Wait! I was relaxed already !!
;)

I wasn't responding to you - keep in mind that JA has perpetuated this stuff for years. He has posted tons of untruth about the heaters, and the return temperature of the water among many other things. Yes - the water coming in from the heater is hot. But not hot enough to burn anyone. That's the part he has taken and run with, and my response was aimed at him and his minions.  I don't like sitting with my feet over the return, or even close to it, but I know it's not going to hurt anyone.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 03:30:36 pm »
Chas....

Just wondering are you saying that the Stereo has zero influence....I have been told it is very very hard to get UL listing when adding the stereo....
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 04:39:52 pm by Mendocino101 »

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 03:38:02 pm »

Ok. Deep breath in....... let it go....... OK.  ;)
quote]

Whew...I was having bad flashbacks to Lemaz class.  

sorry.  Claws are retracting.  
I am now "At Oneness with the Chas-ster"
:)
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 03:38:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42