What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine/ozone vs Baqua  (Read 3661 times)

soclosetobuying

Bromine/ozone vs Baqua
« on: October 17, 2004, 10:12:23 pm »
I put a down payment on the Sweetwater Cayman!!! I can't wait.  It will have a cd ozonator.  

Question:  the guy at the store says bromine with the ozonator, the guy who came to inspect the site swears by baqua but says then my ozonator should be switched off.

Seems like a waste to have something installed and not on, but will the bromine stink and dry out my skin?

What to do?

Also--the dealer insists that landscape ties will be fine to place the spa on, and it's a whole lot cheaper than concrete--am I looking for trouble later down the road? He says it won't screw with the warranty. I'm just afraid it will rot or something.

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine/ozone vs Baqua
« on: October 17, 2004, 10:12:23 pm »

Jordy

Re: Bromine/ozone vs Baqua
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 10:31:09 pm »
Hello SoClosetoBuying,
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with "Baqua" so I can't advise-But as far as the foundation goes, I have had many clients who have opted to lay railroad ties (4x4 or 6x6 pressure-treated wood) and fill between them with gravel (at least 4 1/2" deep). This method is approved by many manufacturers and none of my clients have experienced any problems to this point. If they do, this type of foundation will not void any aspect of their warranty. If you want to be really sure about this, ask your dealer to approve it in writing as an appropriate base and call the manufacturer to be doubly sure. If there is any discrepancy between your dealer and the manufacturer, go to the dealer and get him to put the manufacturer on speaker phone and discuss the matter. You'll be fine-Good Luck!!!

soclosetobuying

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 05:25:54 pm »
Thanks Jordy for the info

anyone have any opinions on the Baqua versus ozone & bromine question?

new owner

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 06:10:50 pm »
Congrats on your purchase. We too have the Cayman!

We have a CD ozone and use Baqua. After the learning curve, our water has been fine (and we don't have that icky chlorine smell). Check out Baqua's website--they say that if you have an ozonator, you need to check chems 2X per week. So it appears you CAN use them together. But is it optimal?? I have questioned whether I'm not getting my $ worth out or the ozonator, or the Baqua, or whatever, but I can't get an answer yet.

Maybe you shoudl go ahead and have the ozonator hooked up, use the Baqua, then if you do0nt' like Baqua you could always drain and move to Bromine or chlorine and not pay to have it hooked up.

Not much help, but wanted to let you know there was someone else out there....

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 09:12:14 am »
I put a down payment on the Sweetwater Cayman!!! I can't wait.

Congratulations.  The wait is hard but hey when you do get it, ohhhhh what a feeling!

Question:  the guy at the store says bromine with the ozonator, the guy who came to inspect the site swears by baqua but says then my ozonator should be switched off.

Sorry, I use bromine so I can't help you here.

Also--the dealer insists that landscape ties will be fine to place the spa on, and it's a whole lot cheaper than concrete--am I looking for trouble later down the road? He says it won't screw with the warranty. I'm just afraid it will rot or something.

You are posing a great question. To which I thought there was a clear answer. Maybe the dealers on this board can chime in and answer. My dealer recommended three choices: a pad made of rock dust packed down by dynamic compaction (vibrating plate); same only topped off with patio stones; or last, concrete pad.  In all cases he said a minimum of 4" in thickness is requried or elde the warranty is void. The surroundings could be landscape ties but the base needed to be packed, solid and most importantly flat with a small pitch for drainange.

That being said, I would follow the recommendation from your dealer, but also get it in writing when they deliver the tub. That way if anything happens, the dealer is on the hook and will give you greater peace of mind.

mnspaseller

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 06:04:20 am »
I sell Baqua Spa.  Some customers absolutely loveit.  I do have several people that just don't ever get it.  Based on the input of my customers, if the spa doesn't get used at least 3 or more times a week, Baqua is hard to get a good balance.  If pH & Total Alk are too high, you'll have problems with water clarity, (Common w/ halogen sanitizers: Chlorine or Bromine) and throat irritation.  Also you need to change spa water every 60 days.  It's kinda hard to catch a warm enough day in MN between Late Nov and Late March.

My overall opinion:  Try it, it's great if you don't neglect it and keep filters clean.  If it doesn't work, you'll need to completly drain your spa. (And shop-vac all the jets!)
I also recommend that you DO NOT consider this product if you have less than a 40 sq ft filter.  I also recommend that you get advice from a dealer that knows the product.

Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 06:12:09 am by mnspaseller »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 06:04:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42