What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine vs. Bromine vs. ???  (Read 4822 times)

steve771

Chlorine vs. Bromine vs. ???
« on: October 17, 2004, 04:38:48 pm »
I have heard that chlorine isn't as effective at the higher temperatures as in a hot tub. I have also heard that Bromine is hard on the plastic piping in a hot tub. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this, and is there an alternative? (like that Eco stuff, is it effective? I read that you still have to use a non-chlorine shock? what about that?)

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine vs. Bromine vs. ???
« on: October 17, 2004, 04:38:48 pm »

steve771

Re: Chlorine vs. Bromine vs. ???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 09:27:51 pm »
And as long as I'm asking... anyone have experience with "Rainforest Blue"?  ???

Jordy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 09:59:30 pm »
Hello Steve771,
I always start my clients on a Bromine-based system for a couple of reasons:
#1. Bromine is an effective Sanitizer over a wider range of pH than Chlorine is. As a result, I can advise my clients to focus on the sanitizer level in the tub and not worry so much about the pH, Alk., and CH levels until they bring me in their first water sample for testing (7-10 days after initial startup).
#2. Bromine doesn't have as strong an odour as Chlorine, which makes for a more enjoyable hot tubbing experience.

As far as Chlorine not being as effective at higher temps and Bromine being more damaging to your plumbing/piping, I would say that the difference is negligible. You will find people who swear by both systems. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

There are many "oxidizing" water-care systems available and yes, they all require a weekly (at least) non-chlorine "shock". With these watercare systems you will need to pay closer attention to your pH levels in order to maintain maximum effectiveness. I also have clients who swear by this type of watercare system.

Are you located in the U.S. or Canada? U.S. clients have even more options available to them than Canadians. Have you purchased a spa yet or are you in the buying process? In either case, you should be able to get some good face-to-face advice directly from Dealers in your area. Good Luck!!!

steve771

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:00:30 pm »
Hi Jordy,

Thanks for the info.  I thought I read that bromine was more sensitive to PH, not less.  As in it has to be in a certain range to be effective?   ???

I think that is what makes this whole process confusing, the claims and counter claims as to what works and what doesn't.  Someone compared it to buying a car, but I don't think so.  If you look at a Yugo vs. a Mercedes, there are obvious differences.  In spas (unless you are looking at really cheapo ones I suppose), differences aren't as obvious.  Plus, either a Yugo or a Mercedes uses the same gasoline (i.e., "chemical").  Chemicals in a spa seem to be very subjective!

Ok, all that said, we still wanted a spa and just bought one.  The dealer is a "chlorine" guy, so we will try that first, see if it works for us, and if not, look around.  Thanks again!  :)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 12:22:15 pm »
Bromine doesn't have as strong an odour as Chlorine, which makes for a more enjoyable hot tubbing experience.

Jordy, let me say I enjoy your posts and respect your opinions.  

I guess I am missing out on this strong odor you attribute to dichlor use.  Upon opening my cover, a distinct aroma which I attribute to ozone and/or dichlor is present.  After about a minute, no aroma whatsoever unless a shock is needed and then it is very faint (I shock once a week).  After fresh shock, the water actually smells rather "sweet" or "fresh".  So I guess my experience using dichlor as a sanitizer is counter to your recommendations.  Unfortunately, I have no experiences using bromine except when soaking in another tub so I can't really compare from my own tub maintenance.

M y  assertion  is that a properly maintained dichlor routine has no strong odor, bromine odor notwithstanding.
8)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 12:25:14 pm by windsurfdog »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 01:06:55 pm »
M y  assertion  is that a properly maintained dichlor routine has no strong odor, bromine odor notwithstanding.
 8)

I agree, on daily doses of chlorine I can tell if I have added the right amount by the smell.  If I lift the lid and can barely detect it (and its a pleasant smell) I know I have used the right amount.  I normall shock wiht MPS, but when I do with Chlorine to get the level above 10ppm, the smell is less pleasant.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 01:36:30 pm »
WSD;

Don't you also use ozone and silver? If you do this allows you to maintain a lower PPM which would result in less odours. You also use MPS which would resultin less odours than just diclor or brom shock....?

Steve;

If you are in the US, it seems that chlorine is the way to go since you can use silver in combination with ozone and cl. We Canadians are still waitng for the bureaucratic red tape to clear the way for Silver Ionizing systems to be approved.

I think your other questions have been answered adequately.

HotTubMan
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 01:55:02 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 03:43:31 pm »
WSD;
Don't you also use ozone and silver? If you do this allows you to maintain a lower PPM which would result in less odours.

HTM,
I do have an ozonator and I use the mineral filters that are a part of my MS sanitation system.  What minerals they are I have no idea.  I do not approach my dichlor routine from the standpoint of using ozone and mineral filters as chlorine reducers.  I try to achieve a 3-5 ppm free chlorine level after soaking.
8)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 03:59:47 pm by windsurfdog »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Jordy

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 11:38:36 pm »
Hello and Thanks Windsurfdog,
Yes I agree with you that a properly maintained spa treated with chlorine does not emit any more odour than one treated with chlorine! My comments were targeted at new spa owners and I have found that there is more odour produced by chlorine vs. bromine when the spa water is out of balance. And yes Zoo, according to reps. from three different chemical companies, Bromine is a more stable and effective sanitizer over a wider range of pH than chlorine. Both chlorine and bromine have many proponents and both systems are easy, safe and effective to use. As I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Hope this helps!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 11:38:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42