What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MPS amounts  (Read 5479 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
MPS amounts
« on: October 17, 2004, 07:02:10 am »
I finally caved and got some MPS for those quick shocks--been using dichlor exclusively to both shock and sanitize.  I used 2 oz. (6 tbsp) in my 450 gal. spa yesterday and it seemed to work like a charm.  How much do others here use when doing an MPS only shock?  Was 2 oz. too much of a good thing?  Thanks in advance for all commentary.....(Mr. Happy, don't bother).
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

MPS amounts
« on: October 17, 2004, 07:02:10 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: MPS amounts
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 08:44:18 am »
I use the same amount once every week or two in my 425 gallon tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 09:16:47 am »
I am using a generic brand now and their instuctions call for 1.5 oz per 500 gals for first time use to insure thorough oxidation and 3/4 oz weekly thereafter.  I used to use Renew from LeisureTime which is buffered to give it a neutral pH.  That called for 4 oz, so the amount you use could depend on the product.  I have been shocking with one tblspn dichlor and two tblspn MPS with good results.  It gets the chlorine level to about five ppm so I have short spa downtime.

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 12:34:10 pm »
WSD,
Are you using and ozonator and Silver Ion setup? I use 3 tblsp. weekly and alternate every other week with 1 or 2 tblsp of Dichlor. HotSprings says to shock the Vista (ca. 500gal.) with 3 tblsp of MPS weekly and to pre treat the tub with 2 tblsp. before each use.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 10:28:06 pm »
I finally caved and got some MPS for those quick shocks--been using dichlor exclusively to both shock and sanitize.  I used 2 oz. (6 tbsp) in my 450 gal. spa yesterday and it seemed to work like a charm.  How much do others here use when doing an MPS only shock?  Was 2 oz. too much of a good thing?  Thanks in advance for all commentary.....(Mr. Happy, don't bother).
 8)

The MPS shock that we have (OxySpa from SpaDepot) says that the recommended amount is 1.5 to 2 oz for 500 gallons.  It also says that 2 tbsp is about 1.5 oz.  This seems quite a bit different than the 6 tbsp that you are using.  

Anyone out there know what how much 2oz is supposed to be?  Is there some kind of 'math' to calculate oz to tbsp?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Jordy

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 10:44:57 pm »
2 ounces = 4 tablespoons. You're Welcome. I also know (from my younger days in the bar business) that 26 ml= 1 ounce (I know that equation all too well!!).

Mr._Happy

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 11:19:44 pm »
I also know (from my younger days in the bar business) that 26 ml= 1 ounce (I know that equation all too well!!).

Hey you've been short pourin'!  :o 30 ml = 1 ounce. (actually 0.0296 ounce)

Jordy

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 11:54:24 pm »
See-I was in the bar business!!! (O MY GOD! I'VE LOST 3ml.)

windsurfdog

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 11:39:52 am »
MY BAD--idiot-boy here (my fave name for myself when I make a stuuupid mistake) should have used 4 tbsp (not 6) since 2 tbsp=1 oz.  I was confusing the 3 tsp=1 tbsp with the 2 tbsp=1 oz. routine.

That out of the way......

Warkovision said:
WSD,
Are you using and ozonator and Silver Ion setup? I use 3 tblsp. weekly and alternate every other week with 1 or 2 tblsp of Dichlor. HotSprings says to shock the Vista (ca. 500gal.) with 3 tblsp of MPS weekly and to pre treat the tub with 2 tblsp. before each use.

I have both an ozonator and whatever ions the Master Spas mineral filter introduces to the water.

tony said:
I am using a generic brand now and their instuctions call for 1.5 oz per 500 gals for first time use to insure thorough oxidation and 3/4 oz weekly thereafter.  I used to use Renew from LeisureTime which is buffered to give it a neutral pH.  That called for 4 oz, so the amount you use could depend on the product.  I have been shocking with one tblspn dichlor and two tblspn MPS with good results.  It gets the chlorine level to about five ppm so I have short spa downtime.

Sounds like a plan, tony.  Certainly 1.5 - 2 oz. for an MPS shock seems to be the concensus.  Your combo idea does sound appealing though I'm not sure that the dichlor is contributing to the shock.  For chlorine shocks, I understand that there is a chlorine "breakpoint" that has to be met before oxidation takes place--somewhere around 7-10 times the normal chlorine added for sanitation?  But the idea is intriguing.

Thanks to all for the responses!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 02:25:39 pm »
YO--Watup DAWG?

Curiously enough, I just got back from Lowes and buying some MPS myself.  I figured I'd try COMPLETELY following the Nature2 instructions to see what would happen (imagine that...)

BTW, I never thanked you for the Florida invite (THANKS!).  Likewise if you make it up to Virginia Beach.

Please keep me posted on your MPS routine, I'll do the same for you...

Keep the faith brother...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 03:49:13 pm »
WSD

I think you are correct, the dichlor is not contributing to the shock, but it does get the free chlorine levels up high enough to get a good kill rate once per week.  I came upon this from Northman's routine and from stuart who uses enhanced shock which is a concoction of chlorine, mps and clarifiers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 03:50:05 pm by tony »

windsurfdog

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 03:56:05 pm »
BTW, I never thanked you for the Florida invite (THANKS!).  Likewise if you make it up to Virginia Beach.

Drewmeister,
Careful what you offer--I grew up in Hampton and I'm WAAAY overdue for a visit back to the homeland......
8)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 04:19:35 pm »
WSD:

The old "homeland" has changed quite a bit in the last 5.  Anytime you feel like it.

BTW, I have a second office in Tampa and lived in Fort Myers Beach for 5 years (1975-80).

Are ya close?

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

windsurfdog

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 10:20:53 pm »
Drewman,

I'm on the coast just south of Tallahassee.  Please consider the door open if you should wander by......martinis and a soak on the way to Tampa could be a good thing!
8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 10:20:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42