What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What about this tub on Ebay?  (Read 5304 times)

Andy-VA

What about this tub on Ebay?
« on: October 14, 2004, 11:24:22 pm »
Im still looking and found this one on Ebay. It seems like I can get alot for my money with this tub.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4314857913&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
I cant find any reviews for it though and am concerned about the warranty issues.
Although,  I am a mechanically inclined person and can fix/replace alot of stuff.
If I compare it to what I would pay for a tub in a showroom that was this size and had comparable features, I would save quite a bit. Probably more than enough to replace or fix any problems down the road.

Hot Tub Forum

What about this tub on Ebay?
« on: October 14, 2004, 11:24:22 pm »

tiktov

Re: What about this tub on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:37:30 pm »
Your link did not work for me.

jenn

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:58:41 pm »
Intrigued, I pulled it up by the item #.  (your link didn't work).  I'm always curious about things like this and admit, I checked ebay spas out too!  If you look through this seller's feedback, the majority of negative comments are regarding spa/hot tub purchases...conversely, I didn't pull up all the positive feedback, but the one's I did view were for bronze sculptures...I guess I would be concerned about this seller's true line of business!

UnderTheStars

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 12:04:08 am »
I might be off base but it looks to me like it is comparable to spas you buy in "big box" retail stores at comparable prices.  The other issue that doesn't work for me is no dealer support.  I'm pretty handy too. . .but when I get off work I want to be a spa user, not a spa fixer.  Just my 2 cents.

Anybody know this particular brand?  (it's not an active link, you have to "copy/paste" the link text into your browser's address window then hit "enter"

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 12:15:43 am »
Interesting.... On all his negative feedback he responds with;

"We will Cancel All Orders that Leave Neg FB!"

BUT, I LOVE Ebay. I sell there on and off. Start every auction at $1..... On agerage I get 10% MORE than what I normally sell the items for.......

Everyone thinks they're getting a deal on eBay        *sheesh*... NOT! A lot of things I'm looking to buy are on eBay for quite a bit more than I can find on normal websites......... There are some deals if you look, AND compare... BTW..... most people leave feedback when they receive the item (in this case the spa), what happens a month from then is completely unknown.

So what brand of spa IS it??????? How much does it sell for elsewhere? I'd be willing to bet a few bucks it's a lot less somewhere else.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 12:52:07 am »
I read on another site where a person says they "won the bid" for a spa...and than wanted a different color and had to wait like 8 weeks or something...what it sounded to me was they bought a spa for what the vendor was willing to sell it for....since in the end the one they "won" was not what they got....I am sure the vendor would allow all bidders who paid x amount of dollars to have as many spas as they need...it is not so much that it is a scam or anything like that....it is just that you are getting a three thousand dollar spa for well three thousand dollars.....which is fine...but no great saving....no great bargin....if you are happy and it works for you than all is good.....a true deal would be as an example you walked into a Hot Springs dealer who had say a grandee and for what ever the reason could offer to say for 7000.00 now that would be a real deal.....on ebay where it is a item that is always availble...you are simply getting what you pay for....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 01:30:40 am by Mendocino101 »

Andy-VA

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 02:06:26 am »
I buy and sell quite a bit on Ebay, I bought my boat and motorcycle on there. Ill tell you this from my very short time looking for a tub. Its seems it is much harder to compare tubs than alot of other major purchases.

jenn

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 02:18:04 am »
I totally agree with you regarding comparison of tubs!  It would be nice if there was some sort of independent research on spas/hot tubs...alas, there is not.  So that's why we focused on name and reputation, second only to the comfort of the spa with our recent purchase.

This spa on ebay could be a diamond in the rough...or it could be just plain, well rough.  I think that anything that swirls hot water around and has some jets will feel great...but you won't know what feels best for you until you try it!

I too am a big ebay buyer...but with something like this, I think that you really want to wet test before you buy!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 02:34:15 am »
Almost all of the "good deals" on eBay come from either private parties selling their personal (used) items, or from the people that are buying surplus, overstocks, or from blind auctions (sealed storage units, locked railway cars, bankruptcy sales and the like).

We've bought unusual electrical items for pennies on the dollar...... I got a $900 variac for $12....... plus $80 to ship :-)....... Had an odd relay in a machine go out, the manufacturer of the machine wanted $125 for the part, on eBay we got 10 for $12. I've bough artwork for 1/10 of what it's appraised for....

I also used to sell cover lifters and the bids would frequently go to $150 plus shipping....... I sell them on my site for under $125 INCLUDING shipping. My girlfriend eeked out a living on eBay for 8 months selling art supplies..... Half the stuff she sold she bought at a local store when it was on sale.

One of my hobbies (yes I do other things than hang out on the boards :-) is picture framing (my neighbors love me). When I was shopping for a new higher end mat cutter I knew what I wanted and seriously price shopped it. I got it locally for $35 less than it was going for on eBay (and there were at least 4 different ebay sellers offering it)....... plus I didn't have to pay shipping, though I did pay sales tax.

BY THE WAY, a lot of ebay sellers are making a pretty penny jacking up the shipping rates.

Generally in life, you get what you pay for, and what you don't pay for you don't get. A $3999 spa is a $3999 spa.....Not necessarily a bad spa, but not top of the line. Almost certainly you can do as well, or better, with a low end spa from a local spa dealer, AND have an actualy person to support you, and yell at if there's a problem.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 02:45:48 am »
I agree with the good Doctor....

There are certain things that you can find and with some items that alone makes it a bargain....PRIVATE party's who actually have one only of something can be a good deal.....over stock close out items....you can save money on....but when you can win a bid and than change the color.....it just means that it is an item that is readily available and can be sold at anytime to anyone for the right price.....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 09:49:34 am »
Interesting.... On all his negative feedback he responds with;

"We will Cancel All Orders that Leave Neg FB!"

BUT, I LOVE Ebay. I sell there on and off. Start every auction at $1..... On agerage I get 10% MORE than what I normally sell the items for.......

Everyone thinks they're getting a deal on eBay        *sheesh*... NOT! A lot of things I'm looking to buy are on eBay for quite a bit more than I can find on normal websites......... There are some deals if you look, AND compare... BTW..... most people leave feedback when they receive the item (in this case the spa), what happens a month from then is completely unknown.

So what brand of spa IS it??????? How much does it sell for elsewhere? I'd be willing to bet a few bucks it's a lot less somewhere else.

You mean you don't sell for $1 and then at the bottom in the fine print mention that you charge $24.95 shipping and handling via USPS?   Many of the cell phone accessories do that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:50:01 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Zoo

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 11:44:39 am »
Hi Andy-Va,

I still believe that you should look extensively at local spa dealers in your area. You could buy a Thermaspa or e-bay spa and find it uncomfortable etc. Also, don't discount the long-term cost savings of a properly made, fully insulated spa (or properly made therman panel design). Your upfront $ savings could be lost within two years with the way hydro rates have gone in the last few years. I would hate to see you buy a product for a good price but then have buyer's remourse because it is uncomfortable, problematic, and/or a hydro sucker due to poor design.

Good luck with your search!

Zoo

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 08:08:29 pm »
Hi andy-va,

Do yourself a favor and listen to the good doctor and the zoo keeper.  No matter how much you spend, it is hard earned monies.  Making a decision on a spa without testing it could be nothing more than throwing your money into the wind.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 08:20:25 pm »

You mean you don't sell for $1 and then at the bottom in the fine print mention that you charge $24.95 shipping and handling via USPS?   Many of the cell phone accessories do that.

I find this comment amusing and truthful. My wife is on Maternity leave. She recently discovered E-bay. Worst thing that could have happenned to me.....now I have to sell 40 tubs this month just to....no I exagerate.

Anyhow, she ordered two shirts and pair of "vintage shoes" Total cost $15 US. Shipping $48 US. Distance? Approximately 440 miles. This was not sent next day or even by courier. It was sent using standard postage. The stamp cost? $7.10 CDN. I was livid. I had the seller rebate mnost of the shipping cost after several heated emails were exchanged. Thank goodness for the "feedback" portion of E-Bay!!!

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 08:55:00 pm »

Well??? ummmmmmm. Ok, I admit I tried something along those lines one time. HOWEVER, at the VERY top of the auction I put in the biggest boldest font available that on top of the winning bid there would be a $100 dollar shipping and handling fee. I CLEARLY explained that the item for sale ALWAYS sold for over $100 dollars so people shoud "adjust" their bid accordingly.

I tell ya, I couldn't have been more clear unless I had totally came clean and splained to them that eBay took a commission, but NOT on the shipping.

HEY! It looked good to me. The poor little guy (me) sticking it to cooperate america (eBay). I coulda made a whole 37 cents more off the auction...

You know I got over 20 complaints from people accusing me of trying to rip them off????......... 2" tall bold red lettering, at the TOP of the auction, telling them about the shipping costs................

eBay has a newer feature you can add to your auction so people can figure the shipping costs for themselves. Setting it up you're asked a few questions.... from what zip code is it shiping..... How much does it weigh.... The size.... The last question is, how much extra do you want to add to the actual cost for additional profit for you?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 08:55:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42