What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine  (Read 5592 times)

MaryM

• Proud new owner of an Optima
Bromine
« on: October 08, 2004, 10:11:50 pm »
I like the idea of Bromine - no clorine smell. Is it as good of a santitizer as clorine? We will have an ozinator too.

Thanks,
Mary

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine
« on: October 08, 2004, 10:11:50 pm »

Rudy

Re: Bromine
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 10:40:02 pm »
Bromine works great, does has a slight odor, and does dry your skin out alittle, but it stays crystal clear with just a little maintenance. I use a floater with bromine tablets and add a little bromine granulates once a week.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 12:02:24 am »
We use bromine with an ozonator and the Spa Frog.  We keep the level around 1ppm so there's no noticable smell (That I can tell anyway...).  We have a Sundance spa with a built in brominator basket that we keep 2-3 tablets in at all times.  That keeps bromine level pretty much where we want it.  We were torn at the beginning with going with bromine or chlorine and our dealer was pushing bromine.  We tried it and it's worked out great so far.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

MaryM

• Proud new owner of an Optima
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 07:33:58 am »
Same thing with me - Sundance Optima on its way; dealer all for Bromine. So bromine does have a slight odor? More or less than clorine? Bromine drys out skin? That surprized me. More or less than clorine? My son has eczema - it can flare up pretty badly at times.

Thanks for all the help,
~Mary

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 08:33:57 am »
Same thing with me - Sundance Optima on its way; dealer all for Bromine. So bromine does have a slight odor? More or less than clorine? Bromine drys out skin? That surprized me. More or less than clorine? My son has eczema - it can flare up pretty badly at times.

Thanks for all the help,
~Mary

We don't notice any odour with bromine in out Optima.  I think if we didn't have an ozonator and kept our levels higher then there might be a smell to it.  The only time I smell anything is when I put the bromine tablets in the basket.  After that I can smell it on my hands until I wash off.

We also have a history of eczema in our family and we haven't seen any noticable difference with the kids skin.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 09:28:24 am »
We have a Cameo and use dichlor, spa frog and ozinator.  The only time I smell the dichlor is after we put in our dose after soaking or the once a week shock.  Of course we also have some of the aroma beads in the air chamber and smell that more than anything.  Our skin dosen't seem dry to us but YMMV.  

You can always start one way and if it is not working out change (I do beleive that would require a water change though).

marty

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 10:35:14 am »
We use Chlorine and we also have the cd ozone, We don't use alot of chemicals and the water is fresh and clean with no chlorine smell. 2-3 times a week I add about 2oz of Chlorine. Sundance Cameo.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 10:14:24 pm »
I VERY much prefer Chlorine over Bromine but the reality is try what you think you like and switch if you find out Bromine isn't what you thought it may be.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 01:21:14 am »
I VERY much prefer Chlorine over Bromine but the reality is try what you think you like and switch if you find out Bromine isn't what you thought it may be.

Hi Spatech

Why do you prefer Chlorine over Bromine?

Steve

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 11:14:09 am »
To all you Canadians curious about this debate, understand that products like Nature 2/Visiosn are not legal in Canada yet. These products are not compatible with bromine. These products are popular because in combination with ozone, one can maintain a cl content as low as .5 PPM. Until such time that Nature 2 is aproved in Canada bromine will be the more popular option.

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

TCMarvin

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 01:11:03 pm »
Mary

You should try one of the Enzyme treatments in your spa such as Eco One. They moisturize instead of dry out your skin and work very well for people with eczema.

Thanks for all the help,
~Mary

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 01:18:46 pm by TCMarvin »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 05:32:40 pm »
Most bromine tablets have close to 45% chlorine as the active ingredient. As a result, they off-gas chlorine and that damages covers, pillows, and stinks.

Bromine requires an oxidizer, and building in a bunch of chlorine is one way for manufacturers to be sure you have that oxidizer.

Another way is to offer pure bromine and put the job of adding oxidizer into the hands of the spa owner.

Brilliance does just that. No chlorine at all, and you add MPS once per week to juice it up. You can skip the MPS for a week if you don't use the spa, or add extra if you have my brother-in-law over for a soak.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

usuallytrue

• Sundance owner
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
I've been using the Brillance Bromine  for 4 months now and have been very happy with it.  I have ultra sensitive skin - pool chlorine makes it dry & flaky - and I have had no problems so far.  My dealer recommended it to me as it doesn't have the chlorine.  I was a bit hesitant at first - was going to use Nature 2 - but I have been converted!  I have found it easy to maintain the levels (but I haven't been throwing large tubbing parties either ;) )

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42