What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Black tar like substance floating in hot tub - Dynasty Spas Aquarius-2017 Model  (Read 3185 times)

Clearwatersmoke80

Good Afternoon, my wife and I purchased the AQUARIUS LOUNGER 4 years ago.  We have been quite religious about keeping it clean and changing our the water and balancing the chemicals.  Since the beginning there have been small black pieces floating about.  Not mold or debris but malleable and can smear between two fingers and smells like oil, or tar.  Whatever the water level is in the tub a line of this stuff that sticks to the walls and needs to be scrubbed extremely hard to get it off, even after a full filter and water change.  We thought it was pieces of tar shingles on our roof at one point.  The hot tub is located under the deck and when it would rain sometimes we found tar from the shingles on our deck, we assumed when cleaning the upper deck they may have been falling downwards.  But the tub is covered at all times so we ruled this out.  We are just wondering if this is something that was left in the pipes during the manufacturing of the unit and is breaking down maybe?  We just want to know if this is common and if anyone has any experience with this at all.  We have called techs out and they have not been able to diagnose completely.  One saying its a bad balance of chemicals which is not true because we keep on it.  The other saying it needs a flush which we are going to do, and hoping is the solution, any help is appreciated.  Thanks very much. 

Hot Tub Forum

cranbiz

It could be some sort of biofilm. I would get some Ah-Some and purge the tub. Maybe @ahsomeguy can weigh in here

A.O.

Where are you located and do you have a well?

Clearwatersmoke80

No we do not have a well, we live in Calgary AB Canada. 

A.O.

Ok, a neighbor I had in Texas used to get oil come up in his well water, thats why I was asking.

CanadianSpaTech

Check the o-rings at either end of the heater tube. Some MFG's use black 0-rings. They (black white or clear) can deteriorate over time or even get to hot and melt a bit. Take a diverter cap off and you will see an o-ring underneath. Remove the o-ring and touch/rub it with your fingers a bit and see if it is the same as what you are getting in your spa. Let us know results

CanadianSpaTech

Pillows can also be a source

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42