What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine every day?  (Read 8689 times)

Max78

Re: Chlorine every day?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2004, 12:46:31 pm »
I've been lurking here for the past several months and took the plunge just recently and received my new Optima just a few days ago.  All of the information on this forum helped me in my decision.  Thank you!  Question for Calico or anyone who would like to respond.  My tub is used about the same amount as yours right now.  You said you add 3 tsp. daily of dichlor.  When do you add this?  After everyone is out for the evening?  Do you add any during the day to raise your level up to 2-3 ppm?  Should your level be up to a certain amount before anyone enters?  Thanks for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2004, 12:46:31 pm »

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2004, 03:17:35 pm »
Just here to make ya smile ;D
¿

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2004, 05:11:54 pm »
Hi Max, congrats on your new Optima!  I add dichlor nightly, after everyone has finished, usually between 10-11pm.  I dont add any during the day, I think the chlorine does its work and then its ok for the tub to have a very low level of CL until the evening when I add again.  I also have cd ozone running and a Nature2 (SunPurity)  

Good luck with your water, I'm amazed at how simple it is.  

Max78

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2004, 10:02:55 pm »
Thanks Calico.  I also have the ozone and some type of spa mineral purifier.  Now, I just need to get rid of some foam.  I've used the Defoamer but it just says 1/2 tsp. at a time which I've used a couple of times but doesn't seem to help.  Maybe I need a little more.  I've had a pool for the last few years and got the water thing down to a science.  I know I'll eventually catch on to this.  It just takes some getting used to.  After awhile you know what your pool needs practically before you check it and I know the hot tub will be old hat before long.  Until then, I will probably be back with more ???'s.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2004, 10:28:32 pm »
.  Now, I just need to get rid of some foam.  I've used the Defoamer but it just says 1/2 tsp. at a time

Instead of dumping the defoamer in, put it in a spray bottle  (some dillute it with water)  then spray it directly on the foam. Its much more efficient that way. One bottle of foam out has lasted me 18 months and is still 3/4 full.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

poolboy34

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2004, 10:55:16 pm »
You might also want to try using a scum ball/scum bugg to pick up the oils that are causing the foam.  Defoamer is a quick fix to decrease foaming.  Another option is a product called spa perfect, or any type of enzyme clear will work.  These products break down the oils that causes the foaming.  Initially it'll foam more (this is the enzyme reacting with the oils) but after weekly use of the product the faoming problem will subside.  You might also want to have your calcium hardness level checked.  Soft water tends to be foamy which is one reason consumers get water softners, allowing more lather when showering).  Usually keeping the hardness level between 150-250ppm will help decrease the amount of foaming in your spa.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2004, 08:03:33 am »
I was always told that MPS was a better oxidizer than dichlor, and therefore would burn up chloramines better.  

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 10:16:10 am »
I read an advertisment for MPS up a few responses. But it failed to mention the drawback of higher TDS because of it's use. 25 times the cost of dichlor. Dichlor will oxidize cloramines better than MPS with a much lower dose thus a lower TDS reading.

I am not an advocate of MPS usage but I do however use it in combination with dichlor on every other shock

As I understand it Dichlor raises CYA levels (which should not be more than 40ppm in a tub and 100ppm in a pool).  

Higher TDS means more foam, which is annoying and will cause a water change.

Higher CYA means less effective sanitation and I read that Florida considers it a carcinogen. Or that concentrations above 100ppm (not sure if it is pool or tub) may be toxic.  There is a CYA thread here somewhere.

I'll stick with MPS for now.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 10:16:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42