What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How many test for TDS & with meter or strips.  (Read 2117 times)

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
How many test for TDS & with meter or strips.
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:45:51 am »
 ???How important is it to test the TDS in our tubs and if you do, what do you use meter or strips?
If a tubs water chemistry is maintained should the TDS remain OK till the next drain if you don't add a lot of stuff you really don't need besides sanitizer?

Hot Tub Forum

How many test for TDS & with meter or strips.
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:45:51 am »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: How many test for TDS & with meter or strips.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 08:56:56 am »
We just got some strips.  Haven't used them yet but plan on testing about every other week once the water is a month or 2 old.  I'll likely use this as one of my indicators that I need to refill.  I'm assuming that the more guests we have the quicker the TDS will rise.  Once it's up to that 2000 range it's time for a refill (at least that's what I hear anyway...).
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 11:17:26 am »
I have the strips, they are worthless, kind of like a speedometer that goes from 0 to 90 to 250mph  with no graduations in between.

Having owned my tub for 18 months now I have a good sense of when the water needs replaced, and that probably is when the TDS is high.

I'm in a good point in my water care regiment, I changed my water in early July and I looked at it last night and it still looks real good. (alk 110, PH 7.2)  I'll be shooting for Oct before I change again.    I just mention that because that seems to be almost every newbie's concern, can I get this water thing down? The answer for everybody seems to be yes.  The advice here helps a lot, but there is a lot to be said for learning by your mistakes.

Getting back to TSD measurement,  I understand what it is, why it is important, but I don't measure it.   If you have only had your tub 2-3 months and things look good, go ahead and change your water just to get a reminder of what new water looks like.  That done, I think you develop a good sense for when its time to change.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 11:19:08 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dudley_Dawson

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 11:54:11 am »
When my water looks like porridge, I'm gonna change it.  Until then I have no means of testing the TDS.

Kinda reminds me of that old Saturday Nigh Live commercial when Bill Murray is the spokesperson for "Swill" water.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 11:54:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42