What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New hot tub, pricing and thoughts please  (Read 4568 times)

mstng

New hot tub, pricing and thoughts please
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:06:11 am »
Hello folks, Nice forum here and I appreciate all the opinions and expertise in the discussions i have read thus far.

Local dealer has Bullfrog R5L, Caldera Kauai and Marquis spas available. The sizing of the R5L and Caldera Kauai would be perfect for us and I think we would like the 3 seat option of the Caldera the best. We are not looking for anything larger.

This is a reputable dealer and we understand that as an important factor. We also understand that they need to make a living as well. We simply do not know what a reasonable price would be for these 2 spas.

I have been offered either the R5L or the Kauai for 7299.00 with 250 delivery and 100 cost to remove the old tub. I am pretty sure I can get the delivery and 100 pick up fee resolved. These come with the usual steps, lifter chemicals.

Another factor is that it I am being led by the sales person to the Kauai much more than the Bullfrog. Suspiciously so, as if there is an incentive for the dealer to be partial to the Kauai.

I also have other dealers in town that sell different brands and would also be interested in opinions of others in that size and price range you think I should look at. Hot Springs, Dimension

Appreciate any and all opinions.
Thanks,
Bill

Hot Tub Forum

New hot tub, pricing and thoughts please
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:06:11 am »

castletonia

Re: New hot tub, pricing and thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 03:44:45 pm »
There are no incentives being offered by Caldera to your dealer.  That is a fair prices on the Kauai so unless they have inventory they want to move, I doubt there is a hidden agenda. 

As a Hot Spring and Caldera dealer, I would also suggest the Hot Spring Jetsetter, it should be about the same price as the Kauai.  My personal opinion would be to check out the Caldera Martinique too.  I know it’s larger and more expensive, but I think it’s a great 3-4 person spa.

D1 makes a quality hot tub and this is a substantial purchase.  Do your do diligence and check out all your local options.

mstng

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 04:10:13 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to respond and I value that opinion. I'll feel better with the Caldera Kauai if I decide to go with it and I am now determined to check out the Jet setter from another dealer. Looking on line that seems like a pretty sweet hot tub. I am replacing a Hot Springs Sovereign dated 1994.

Have you had any experience with the Bullfrog? I noticed under specs that it has a 2.5 hp motor versus 2 hp on the Kauai. Would that make a significant difference in jet pressure. I am guessing that pressure is relative to how many jets are running. The caldera seating arrangement is much more preferable though.

thanks again

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 04:17:08 pm »
Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with Bullfrog.  D00nut, who is a member of this forum, is also a Caldera and Hot Spring dealer and used to sell Bullfrog, so hopefully he can assist you with that question.

As for the Kauai and Jetsetter, I have sat in both and I personally prefer the Jetsetter.  I like the Moto-Massage a lot, which along with the no-bypass filtration, ozone being standard, and having the option of ACE, are my reasons.

mstng

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 05:24:46 pm »
castletonia,

Funny that I just poured 2.5 gallons of chlorine into the pool and your post reminded me of the thoughts i had about going to a salt water pool a couple of years ago. Plumbing kept me from doing it as well as the cost of the cell that may require periodic replacement. Is the cell replacement similar to what I would have needed for the pool or is this a minimal maintenance expense? This may be a deciding factor as i have dealt with chlorine tablets and jugs for many years and know first hand the hassle involved. It really would be nice not having to deal with it. What would you expect the the cost to add the ACE to the jetsetter? Appreciate your insight.

Bill

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 09:38:17 pm »
Reasonable price on the Kauai. With delivery steps and lift I’m at $7499 delivered. I typically charge about $250 to remove and dispose of old tubs. Place I bring them to Charges me $150 to dispose. On the Marquis side the Vector 65L would be the comp to that. The Bullfrog comes with a 1.5HP Pump standard I believe with option to upgrade to the 2.5. Kauai isn’t a huge seller for me only because for about $1500 more people tend to go with the Martinique. I know Casteltonia carries HS and Caldera. The jet setter is another good option. Customers tell me no to massage is a love it or hate it thing. Ace to me isn’t a huge deal. Very costly over the long run and I have never had water clarity issues without the no bypass filtration aspect of things. Anyway you look at it you are looking at all well
Made tubs. Wet test a couple and see what you like best. Good luck in your search

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 10:01:27 pm »

Another factor is that it I am being led by the sales person to the Kauai much more than the Bullfrog. Suspiciously so, as if there is an incentive for the dealer to be partial to the Kauai.

My money is on the fact that sales people sell what they think sells best and what they like to sell. As a non-sales person that has some spa sales experience I always got a kick out of seeing how each sales person I've worked with has their own style and when the customer is asking for direction they each seem to have their own "go to" models.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 12:10:50 am »
castletonia,

Funny that I just poured 2.5 gallons of chlorine into the pool and your post reminded me of the thoughts i had about going to a salt water pool a couple of years ago. Plumbing kept me from doing it as well as the cost of the cell that may require periodic replacement. Is the cell replacement similar to what I would have needed for the pool or is this a minimal maintenance expense? This may be a deciding factor as i have dealt with chlorine tablets and jugs for many years and know first hand the hassle involved. It really would be nice not having to deal with it. What would you expect the the cost to add the ACE to the jetsetter? Appreciate your insight.

Bill

ACE retails for $1,699.  I sell it for $1,299.  On a Jetsetter, I would expect the cell to last for around 3 years.  Replacement cells run about $800-$900 (price is dealer dependent).

Sam

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 02:06:16 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to respond and I value that opinion. I'll feel better with the Caldera Kauai if I decide to go with it and I am now determined to check out the Jet setter from another dealer. Looking on line that seems like a pretty sweet hot tub. I am replacing a Hot Springs Sovereign dated 1994.

Have you had any experience with the Bullfrog? I noticed under specs that it has a 2.5 hp motor versus 2 hp on the Kauai. Would that make a significant difference in jet pressure. I am guessing that pressure is relative to how many jets are running. The caldera seating arrangement is much more preferable though.

thanks again

You won't be dealing with chlorine tablets and jugs with a hot tub.  If you go with the Caldera, get the inline @ease system.  It's far and away the easiest system I've ever worked with and requires very little effort to maintain.  Much easier than your pool. 

As for the pump hp, the Bullfrog should have a decent amount more power than the Caldera.  Obviously jetpak choice will affect this, but side by side the Bullfrog will have more power regardless.  I'm not recommending it over the Caldera per say, just addressing the power question. 

Someone below said something about the R5L having a 1.5hp motor which is incorrect.  You can order a 110v version that comes with the smaller motor but the standard is the 2.5 and it rocks in that little spa.  Some people find it too powerful and need to dial back the pressure on the jetpak control valve.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 02:57:59 pm »
That was me Sam. I thought it came standard with 1.5 Hp and could upgrade to the 2.5. That’s how Marquis does it and assumed BF did the same

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 05:51:07 am »
As for the pump hp, the Bullfrog should have a decent amount more power than the Caldera.  Obviously jetpak choice will affect this, but side by side the Bullfrog will have more power regardless.  I'm not recommending it over the Caldera per say, just addressing the power question. 

What is the GPM of each brand? That will tell you which pushes the most water. But it won't tell you which feels the best.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:23:45 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 07:37:06 am »
Hello folks, Nice forum here and I appreciate all the opinions and expertise in the discussions i have read thus far.

Appreciate any and all opinions.
Thanks,
Bill

First of all, Welcome to the form. 2nd, what Mustang do you own?   You sound like your going into this the right way, take your time and enjoy the process. My first time buying a hottub I let it stress me out and bought hurriedly.  Finally, many of us will be genuinely interested in what decision you make and how that works out for you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 07:37:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42