What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Insulation type  (Read 3090 times)

hbcpa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Insulation type
« on: September 02, 2004, 02:58:33 pm »
Could someone please explain to me what they mean by energylock insulation type. Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Insulation type
« on: September 02, 2004, 02:58:33 pm »

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
Re: Insulation type
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 03:06:22 pm »
Energylock?

Sounds like a euphemism for 'air gap' or thermalpane. The principle behind this insulation construction is to create a heat bubble beneath the spa to conserve heat loss.

I'll leave it at that.

hbcpa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 04:06:15 pm »
I got this info in spasearch and it relates to sunbelt spas. we are considering this spa because it can be installed inground. Hoe does this compare to other types of insulation. i was unsure what you meant about it based on your response. thanks

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 05:45:39 pm »
This topic always creates a heated discussion.  15 years in the industry and I'll give you my take on it.  This system has a better insulating value than just a small amount of insulation on the shell of the tub.  This system is supposed to create an air tight area and the equipment then heats the air and the air becomes the insulating value.  One problem is that equipment doesn't last as long when exposed to high levels of heat over time.

The reason manufacturers do this, in  my opinion, is that they have a problem with leaks and it is a great way to cut costs out of the manufacturing process.

The most energy eff. way to build any product is to use full foam insulation.

Two recommendations,  look clossely at the warranty and all of the fine print written and then test soak the exact spa that you are considering.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 06:14:23 pm »
also be advised that you can set any type of spa into the ground.

Here is a Vanguard set down:

TEASP00N
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 06:04:21 am »
I am going to respectfully dissagree with FF being more effiecient.

During filtration an effective thermal pane insulation method has a higher R-Factor. But take away the heat source, during non run times and FF's R-factor exceeds TP.

A combination of the 2 styles of insulation would seem logical. Foam the shell as much as possible yet leave a small air gap and a sweet spot near the equipment area to transfer usable waste heat into the vessel. And of course vent it with fans and a thermostat when it gets to hot.

Oh wait, I already did that!! Never mind.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 06:04:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42