What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: General Advice  (Read 1582 times)

PamT

General Advice
« on: March 08, 2018, 12:19:48 pm »
Hi Everyone
 I did not see an FAQ? If I missed it, my apologies.

We just demolished our wooden hot tub and are entering the world of acrylic tubs.
I had no idea there were so many choices.  We went to our local dealer of Hot Spring Spas and walked around.
We have not tested any spas.
Our situation
2 adults + occasional friends/ kids/ grandkids
8 x 8 concrete pad already in place
So Cal 
Budget :  5 k  ( could go higher if you convince me)
Important features-   Husband wants the cool down seat (?)
I do not think we want lounging. We sat up in our wood tub and it was good. 
From what I can gather, there is more seating without lounges?
I understand that more jets may not be better, and spas should be tested before I buy.

I am afraid this is a stupid question, but how to you go about 'wet testing'?  Will any spa- selling place allow you to do that, even if they carry many different brands?  There is a place near us that carries a bunch of different brands and refurbished and 2nds.  Is that a bad place to buy? 

Do we need to go to a dealer for each brand and wet test ?   

Is Costco a bad idea? 

What kind of water cleaning system is good? 

Are they easy to take care of ? 

What about insulation, good motors/ filters, warranties? 

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much!

Hot Tub Forum

General Advice
« on: March 08, 2018, 12:19:48 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: General Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 04:47:47 pm »
Hot Tubs are very personal. None of us can tell you whats right for you. There are 8-10 high quality brands 20-30 middle of the road brands and countless numbers of not so good brands that come and go.

I'm afraid with your current budget you going to be a bit light unless small with few features is OK? Then you can get efficiency and longevity.

I prefer loungerless.

Costco is a good idea if you don't care what it feels like when your sitting in it.

All of them clean the water sufficiently.

Ask a dealer if you can test one of his tubs to see if it fits. The good dealers will let you. But again your budget may be light.

Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:20:37 pm »
Hot Tubs are very personal. None of us can tell you whats right for you. There are 8-10 high quality brands 20-30 middle of the road brands and countless numbers of not so good brands that come and go.

I'm afraid with your current budget you going to be a bit light unless small with few features is OK? Then you can get efficiency and longevity.

I prefer loungerless.

Costco is a good idea if you don't care what it feels like when your sitting in it.

All of them clean the water sufficiently.

Ask a dealer if you can test one of his tubs to see if it fits. The good dealers will let you. But again your budget may be light.

Sound advice.

I'd add that specific brands are irrelevant at first:  Find out what is in your area, and what dealers are in your area.  I may champion "Brand X" but if you do not have a BRAND X dealer in your area, its a non-starter.  Seriously- don't waste your time on brands that you'd have drop-shipped to you.  In So. Cal there are plenty of dealers so work with what you have in front of you.

I'd also add that the dealer is 50% of the equation so do your homework:  If their reviews are bad, skip them.  Remember- They are going to be doing your warranty work so be sure they are actually worth handing your money to.

PamT

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:18 pm »
Thank you both for the information.  I will find some dealers and up my budget :). I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42